Thread: Expiration on Opened Distilled Water Bottle

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Default Expiration on Opened Distilled Water Bottle

Does anyone know if an opened bottle of distilled water goes bad? I've had a one gallon bottle for almost a year now and I've only used 1/3 of it. I keep it in a dark cool place but I'm wondering if there's an expiration on opened bottles or if the opened bottle shoudl be discarded after a certain time period. I don't see any bacteria or any other type of growth in my humidor or on my cigars and I don't believe they're introducing a bad taste to my cigars. How many weeks or months do you wait before replacing your bottle of distilled water?
    Last edited by cigarjames; 07-25-2005 at 08:02 PM. Reason: change title

Default Water is Cheap

Well, essentially, once air hits distilled water, it's no longer distilled, but honestly, the contamination that would occur is minimal. It's probably 99 cents for another gallon, might as well get it fresh.
    "If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end; if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin, and in the end, despair." -C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

3. Default

If in doubt replace it. It's cheap.

The reason for using distilled water is primarily to remove minerals that would otherwise deposit on your humidification device. Unless you put something in the water, it will remain effectively sanitary indefinitely. There's no food or minerals for microbes in the water. There's a tiny chance of algae growing, so keep it dark. Propylene Glycol is also anti-microbial, so I wouldn't worry about it. Then again, $1 is a small price to assuage your fears, so if it makes you feel better, buy fresh water whenever the urge strikes.

I would buy a new one just in case, the price is low enough.

6. Default

I think I'll go ahead and just buy a new one every other month. Seems like a waste though to only use a small portion of the one gallon and then throw out the rest.

Thanks

Thread Information