Thread: Expiration on Opened Distilled Water Bottle

1. Default Expiration on Opened Distilled Water Bottle

Does anyone know if an opened bottle of distilled water goes bad? I've had a one gallon bottle for almost a year now and I've only used 1/3 of it. I keep it in a dark cool place but I'm wondering if there's an expiration on opened bottles or if the opened bottle shoudl be discarded after a certain time period. I don't see any bacteria or any other type of growth in my humidor or on my cigars and I don't believe they're introducing a bad taste to my cigars. How many weeks or months do you wait before replacing your bottle of distilled water?
    Last edited by cigarjames; 07-25-2005 at 08:02 PM. Reason: change title

Default Water is Cheap

Well, essentially, once air hits distilled water, it's no longer distilled, but honestly, the contamination that would occur is minimal. It's probably 99 cents for another gallon, might as well get it fresh.
    "If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end; if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin, and in the end, despair." -C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

3. Default

If in doubt replace it. It's cheap.

The reason for using distilled water is primarily to remove minerals that would otherwise deposit on your humidification device. Unless you put something in the water, it will remain effectively sanitary indefinitely. There's no food or minerals for microbes in the water. There's a tiny chance of algae growing, so keep it dark. Propylene Glycol is also anti-microbial, so I wouldn't worry about it. Then again, $1 is a small price to assuage your fears, so if it makes you feel better, buy fresh water whenever the urge strikes.

I would buy a new one just in case, the price is low enough.

6. Default

I think I'll go ahead and just buy a new one every other month. Seems like a waste though to only use a small portion of the one gallon and then throw out the rest.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cigarjames
    I think I'll go ahead and just buy a new one every other month. Seems like a waste though to only use a small portion of the one gallon and then throw out the rest.

Thanks
    Make ice cubes out of the rest - your ice tea will never know the difference!

`
    `

Disclaimer: All views made on The Hugh Jorgan Show ® are the opinion of Hugh Jorgan Productions, Inc. ® and do not reflect the views of our sponsors.

If you are hesitating over the $$$ of distilled water, you have entered the wrong hobby my friend! We eventually burn the things we decide are the most precious

`
    `

Disclaimer: All views made on The Hugh Jorgan Show ® are the opinion of Hugh Jorgan Productions, Inc. ® and do not reflect the views of our sponsors.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Jorgan
    Make ice cubes out of the rest - your ice tea will never know the difference!

If he's scared about it being no good to humidify cigars, I'm guessing he probably doesn't want to drink it either.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenyth
    If he's scared about it being no good to humidify cigars, I'm guessing he probably doesn't want to drink it either.
    How about watering the house plants instead?

Drying it out and making distilled dry packs for camping - just add distilled water!

Washing the car bumpers with it?

Rinsing out the kitty litter box?

Refilling the puddle in the backyard?

`
    `

Default don't drink it

I pretty sure you shouldn't drink it. Distilled water has the natural water-solible minerals removed by boiling and collecting the condensed water vapor. Once the distilled water hits your disgestive track it will pull minerals and other elecrolytes out of your tissue up an intil it reachs equlibrium with the surronding tissue. Not what you want to happen.

To be sure I wasn't blowing smoke out my ass I googled it.

http://chetday.com/distilledwater.htm

If you are hesitating over the $$$ of distilled water, you have entered the wrong hobby my friend! We eventually burn the things we decide are the most precious

ROFL!

14. Default

How about watering the house plants instead?

Drying it out and making distilled dry packs for camping - just add distilled water!

Washing the car bumpers with it?

Rinsing out the kitty litter box?

Refilling the puddle in the backyard?

So many uses for distilled water...so little time.

15. Default

I'll stick with watering the plants.

You can also use it to fill up your iron so your clothes can be nice and wrinkle free.

Quote Originally Posted by joshua
    You can also use it to fill up your iron so your clothes can be nice and wrinkle free.

Just be wary, my iron specifically advises against using distilled H2O.

toledo,ohio 1440 royalton toledo oh 43612

Quote Originally Posted by cigarjames

Thanks
    you can always drink the stuff too
    I drink a great deal.I sleep a little,and i smoke cigar after cigar.That is why i am in two-hundred percent form
    -Winston Churchill

I looked at a bottle of unopened distilled water I had that had been sitting around for a couple months and noticed a stamp near the lid. The bottle I have says "Use before Feb19 07."

Anyways, I don't think it will "expire" any time soon. If your bottle is only a year old I wouldn't worry about buying another one for at least a year
    "smoking is one of the greatest and cheapest enjoyments in life,
    and if you decide in advance not to smoke, I can only feel sorry for you."-Sigmund Freud

"The problem with the world is that we draw the circle of our family too small" - Mother Teresa

“The basic difference between an ordinary man and a warrior is that a warrior takes everything as a challenge while an ordinary man takes everything either as a blessing or a curse” – Carlos Casteneda

Quote Originally Posted by nhcigarfan
    I pretty sure you shouldn't drink it. Distilled water has the natural water-solible minerals removed by boiling and collecting the condensed water vapor. Once the distilled water hits your disgestive track it will pull minerals and other elecrolytes out of your tissue up an intil it reachs equlibrium with the surronding tissue. Not what you want to happen.
    I better start making out my will.

Thread Information