Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cutter, Punch or V-cut ?

Default Cutter, Punch or V-cut ?

What's your preference and why ?
    I prefer the punch, except of course for torpedoes or other shapes that make it inappropriate. I always have one on my keyring along with a penknife in the event a cutter is not handy.

2. Default

Razor sharp pocket knife,cuts caps and roll in around a torp and the end falls off
    The older I get ,the better I was

Blog Entries

None. Wooden or plastic tip cigars only please. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin7 View Post
    Razor sharp pocket knife,cuts caps and roll in around a torp and the end falls off
    What - they don't make a Klein tool to cut cigars?

5. Default

See! Told ya! LOL

Blog Entries

Buncha clowns.

I used to be a big fan of the punch but certain cigars like Opus X and Añejos need to have more of the cap cut off or you stand a good chance of tar which is caused only by a bad cut like from a punch. I've even had Davidoffs tar up when I used a punch so for my better cigars, I use a cutter, even if it's a cheapo.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post
    What - they don't make a Klein tool to cut cigars?
    LOL The facilities guys where I work favor Klein's and I've got a few in my "network technician" tool kit (side cutters, pliers etc)

I also have a Swiss Army Knife with cigar cutter that I bought from cigarsarge some time back. It's always in my pocket and has seen regular use.
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

The punch is definitely my least favorite, it never gives a good draw. The regular cutter works for me, and I've noticed that the cheapy ones seem to work best, I don't know why but I get a cleaner cut on my $2 cutter than my Colibri
    Out of all the interwebs and www's, I can say that this is my favorite smoke shop

10. Default

Almost every lineman I know uses Klein with the exception of Channel Lock slip joint pliers.Nothing better than a pair of 420 or 426 Channel Lock. Klein makes as Coventry Cat would say "tools made for making your living" as opposed to weekend warrior shit

I've been using my pocket knife quite a bit lately as well.

I have a punch, regular cutter, and a Cuban Crafters "perfect cutter". The perfect cutter is my favorite by far.

Mark

Team Blowholes owns the Whiny Bitches!

Silly me, I forgot to add...

I regularly use my XiKar cutters (I have two) and they work wonderfully. I very much like XiKar's warranty and how well built their cutters are.

I also have a Palio cutter which was recommended to me by Craig. It does an excellent job on all types of cigars, is very sharp and easy to use, and is not overly expensive.

I keep a cheap cutter stashed in each vehicle, just in case, but those have never seen any use. If I'm out somewhere and don't have one of my regular cutters with me, I generally find out when I go to cut the cigar. In that situation it's faster/easier too grab the Swiss Army Knife out of my pocket than it is to run back to the car/truck to get the one stashed in it.
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

Xikar for ones that need a guillotine and a bullet cut for cigars that demand that method.
    "smoking is one of the greatest and cheapest enjoyments in life,
    and if you decide in advance not to smoke, I can only feel sorry for you."-Sigmund Freud

"The problem with the world is that we draw the circle of our family too small" - Mother Teresa

“The basic difference between an ordinary man and a warrior is that a warrior takes everything as a challenge while an ordinary man takes everything either as a blessing or a curse” – Carlos Casteneda

Either my Xikar or a cheapo... never used a punch... sadly.
    "It is best to keep your mouth shut and be presumed ignorant than to open it and remove all doubt."
    -Mark Twain

"If there are no cigars in Heaven, I shall not go."
    -Mark Twain

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    -George Orwell

16. Default

I use a double guillotine on most cigars but prefer a punch for chisel tips

Quote Originally Posted by pontiacfieroguy View Post
    I use a double guillotine on most cigars but prefer a punch for chisel tips
    Punch on a chisel huh? That's about as good advice as telling someone to smoke Gurkha's every day.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreekTitan View Post
    Punch on a chisel huh? That's about as good advice as telling someone to smoke Gurkha's every day.
    The first time someone suggested this to me I though it was a crazy idea but I've done this a few times (use a punch with chisel) and it works fine.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Quote Originally Posted by CoventryCat86 View Post
    The first time someone suggested this to me I though it was a crazy idea but I've done this a few times (use a punch with chisel) and it works fine.
    I've always used a v cut, and with that the chisel is actually a favorite of mine.

With the punch, do you smoke it like you're playing the flute? With your recommendation, I guess I'll try it. But, it just seems to me the shape is begging for a v cut.

20. Default

My late friend Nate had a knack for using his fingernail to slice a cap. Sounds messy but he could make a clean cut

Thread Information