Thread: Help Me!

Unhappy Help Me!

First post guys! I have a real dilemma on my hands. I started smoking cigars about 2 years ago, (I am 21 by the way,) on a couple of Torano Signatures and then got my hands on a box of CAO Eileen's Dream flavored cigars. Once the Kahluas by D.E. came out, I was all over those. I am a very big sucker for coffee if you couldn't tell by my cigar choices. Also, I am living with my conservative parents who would tan my hide and cancel my student loans if they found out I was spending my money on cancer sticks, so I don't get a chance to smoke every night as I would like.

Anyway, my problem is that my palette has taken on that coffee-flavored-cigar type of taste. I would like to try and broaden my horizons and learn to like non-flavored cigars as well. I was hoping I could get some suggestions from you guys about what sticks I should smoke to ween myself off of the flavors. Thanks a lot.
    "I reject your reality and substitute my own."

Pomegranates: 0
    Funky Chickens: 2

Default First things first

Quit smoking the flavored ones all together, you want the taste of coffee or kahlua (sp?) with your cigar, you have a cup of coffee or kahlua on the rocks with your cigar. Next, start off with stuff that won't knock your teeth in. Some great, mild-medium smokes to start off on are:

Punch Champion (my favorite for an introduction to real cigars!)
    H. Upmann #100 Robustos
    Romeo y Julieta Cedro Deluxe #2
    Partagas Naturales
    Finally, go to a local cigar shop, tell the owner there you are trying to broaden your palette and he will suggest to you where to go. If he says Macanudo, say no thanks, something else. And, remember to buy 3-5 sticks of something because you can never tell if you like a cigar from just one stick.

Welcome to the boards and good luck getting off the "dog rockets" Some people here may be hard on you at first, but we will all respect you trying to ween yourself off of flavored cigars, you are in for a treat as far as the rest of us are concerned.

Also, throw your address in your profile and you might find a surprise in the mail, although because of the parental situation, you may want to hold off until you're back at school.
    "If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end; if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin, and in the end, despair." -C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

welcome to the board! like bigmacfu suggests, go cold turkey on the flavors. i've accually never tried a flavored one before. good luck on comming to the 'dark side'
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,
    and I'm not sure about the former." -
    Albert Einstein

4. Default

If you enjoy the flavored cigars then smoke them. It's always good to broaden your horizons and smoke different cigars, but I wouldn't give up smoking a particular type of cigar simply because it isn't popular.

Acid/Drew Estate cigars offer, IMHO, a great selection of flavored and embued cigars. They're not for everyone, but I like the flavor.

I also like Romeo y Julieta, Punch, CAO and Partagas just to name a few. These are all great smokes and will definately give you a direction of what you like and don't like as far as regular cigars go.
    Buy and die...sell and be free.

I am really not a fan of Flavored Cigars but will have the occasional Makers Mark, and I've considered trying an ACID, but I think I'll stick to the good ole fashioned Tobacco Flavored cigars.

TonyDogs Guest

Default How about

Well since you are a student I would think price is going to be an issue.
    So I would suggest that you look for deals first off. I just found a great stick for the money
    Helix 550. A very good mild smoke and a low price.

Looking for something stronger try a Royal Jamican Gold Rojo smooth slow burning smoke.

Then if I were you I would buy some samplers to find out whay you really like.

Good luck
    Tonydogs

7. Default

Cigar smoking can be a very subjective hobby. I would recommend that you buy a few samplers to see what you like. Since you are a student you will have to be careful of the price, but dont dispair, there are many excellent smokes out there for great prices! The fact that you are on a limited budget can actually be a good thing. It will make you search through the lower end cigars so you can find some truly great, low-priced jewles! I am sure that once you leave the flavored cigars , you will never look back!
    "I Smoke in Moderation.... Just One Cigar at a Time." Mark Twain

Default I agree with Wrath.....

Smoke what you like. But do explore other cigars. Maybe try just cutting back on the flavored stuff.

Personally I don't care to smoke flavored cigars although I am tempted to try a coffee infused just because I like coffee and its a curiosity. But I doubt I would buy them regularly.
    Last edited by MMAB; 07-26-2005 at 06:02 PM. Reason: I repeated Island E!!!!!!! Oh my God!

Thanks guys! Also, taking BigMacFu's advice, I put my mailing address in one of the chat name slots on my profile. Thanks again.

Question

Vitale, is the address safe to send to or should we wait till you're back at school?
    "If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end; if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin, and in the end, despair." -C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

it's safe to send discreetly. I am going to college here, so i won't be moving away. Besides, if the momses dosen't object to alcohol every once in a while, maybe a cigar will be okay too, as long as she doesn't see them too often, in other words, screw it. I'm tired of stepping around her. Mail away!
    Last edited by TheVitaleMob; 07-27-2005 at 02:22 AM.

Christopher Vitale
    10512 244th St. E.
    Graham, WA 98338

Thread Information