Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Monte #4 Concerns

Blog Entries

Default Monte #4 Concerns

Concern/Question #1

I have a friend who found a partial box of Cuban Montecristo #4's in his dad's basement. He said his dad has probably had them for 3 or 4 years and they have not been in a humidor since he has had them. He gave them to me to see if they could be restored. I am doubtful his dad has a reliable source and I can't find a date code on the box so I know the chances of them being real are slim to none. I live in a very humid area and they were stored in a basement. The wrappers were not brittle when I got them. I looked them over for signs of beetles and mold, didn't see any so I put them in my coolidor a few weeks ago that stays at 65rh. I was concerned about wrappers splitting but I checked them this morning and they look good to me.

Concern/Question #2

Whether they are genuine or not, assuming they are still good after not being properly maintained for several years, they may still be good smokes. They seem to be well constructed and they smell good. I just don't trust my noob expertise to any of this. With all that said, I would like to send a couple of trusted members of this board (1000 post minimum) 1 to inspect or even smoke (if you're brave enough I guess), and let me know what you think. If they are real or not, if they are worth smoking or not. If you are willing to be my expert guinea pig I will send a bonus cigar with it, one that I know is good.

If there are any willing let me know and I will get them out to the first two responders with 1000+ posts.

Thanks.

Blog Entries

Can you post pic's of the box?

Also, get a couple clear close ups of the bands.

The following thread offers some views of legit and non legit Montecristo bands. There's a few others here too if you care to search for them.

http://www.cigarsmokers.com/threads/...ht=fake+cubans

Also, on the cigar afficiando website they had an article about fake cubans that showed a bunch of legit and not legit bands but I couldn't find it.
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

Blog Entries

I don't have a closeup of the but here are the pictures I have with me at the moment.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo copy 2.jpg 
Views:	370 
Size:	29.0 KB 
ID:	3322Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo copy 3.jpg 
Views:	372 
Size:	30.3 KB 
ID:	3323Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo copy 4.jpg 
Views:	362 
Size:	33.6 KB 
ID:	3324Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo copy 5.JPG 
Views:	408 
Size:	70.1 KB 
ID:	3325Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo copy.jpg 
Views:	365 
Size:	32.5 KB 
ID:	3326

I will try to remember to get a closeup of the band tomorrow.

Thanks guys.

Give them a few more weeks and fire one up.

Real or fake don't matter as long as its a good tasting cigar.
    designated whipping boy for the grammar police
    Just run everything threw a spell checker.

Blog Entries

Gregg, I love your simplistic approach.

Quote Originally Posted by kingbeefy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mangyrat View Post
    Give them a few more weeks and fire one up.

Real or fake don't matter as long as its a good tasting cigar.
    Gregg, I love your simplistic approach.
    I agree. A friend went to Cuba and while there remembered I smoke cigars. Nice guy that he is, he bought a box of Cohiba Esplendidos off of "a guy that worked at his hotel" Needless to say, I knew immediately they were not real Esplendidos. But, they were real Cuban tobacco and decently rolled. I suspect most fakes bought in Cuba are rolled with floor sweepings or perhaps tobacco the roller grew in his backyard, they can still be a decent smoke. At $2.00 per cigar, I wasn't unhappy about buying the fakes and smoked them as "yard 'gars" while doing yard stuff. Just remember though, there's no guarantee you won't find a dog turd rolled in the middle of your fake Cuban.

The following link shows a comparison of fake as vs real cuban boxes.

http://havanajournal.com/cigars/cohibas-box

Have a look at the page and then you will have an idea what to look for on this box to see if it's real.
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

One of the best "cheap" Cuban cigars (~$10.00 each) I've ever had was a counterfeit Montecristo #2. Oddly enough - they even labeled the cigar box as "counterfeit", even though all the other markings looked like a Cuban Montecristo box. I'd say the flavor profile seemed to be Cuban - though it could have just as easily been some other blend that closely resembled a Cuban flavor profile.

The killer for me - once I smoked them all, I could not find the source to get more...

The other funny thing - I recently would have said the cigars KingBeefy is showing were too "rough" looking to be a legit Montecristo. But - one of the biggest collectors I know recently said aged Cuban cigars often look "rough" like that - and that he was not willing to automatically write them off.

If those are fake Cubans and they came from Cuba - chances are they will taste and smoke very good. However - if they're fake Cubans that came from Jamaica - I'd immediately toss 'em!

9. Default

Intriguing it has a CUBATOBACcO stamp on thr box
    The older I get ,the better I was

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kevin7 View Post
    Intriguing it has a CUBATOBACcO stamp on thr box
    What does it mean to have that stamp?

Blog Entries

From some interweb place:
    "This is the new stamp released in conjunction with the Cubatabaco Leaf logo stamp, and the introduction of stamped factory codes. The Cubatabaco Leaf logo stamp was replaced by the new Habanos s.a. logo in 1994."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    From some interweb place:
    "This is the new stamp released in conjunction with the Cubatabaco Leaf logo stamp, and the introduction of stamped factory codes. The Cubatabaco Leaf logo stamp was replaced by the new Habanos s.a. logo in 1994."

So that should be added to the list of reasons of suspicion I guess. If I had to assume I would say fake, all this info helps. Maybe they will still be good smokes though. Anyone want to take the offer to get one to take a closer look at? Like I said, even if it isn't worth smoking it will arrive with a friend that should make up for it. If not no problem, thanks again for all the help.

I thought you all were supposed to be a bunch of jerks here, you're going to ruin your reputation with helpful feedback like this.

13. Default

Hell Im no uber expert but I will trade ya 2 for 2 blind from my stash

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kevin7 View Post
    Hell Im no uber expert but I will trade ya 2 for 2 blind from my stash
    I'm in.

15. Default

Cool,PM replied to

Blog Entries

Received Kevin's end today. This deal is done. Thanks man.

KB, I need an update on these "Cubans". This story is real intriguing - lots of ins, lots of outs imo.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kn1v3s0ut View Post
    KB, I need an update on these "Cubans". This story is real intriguing - lots of ins, lots of outs imo.
    Well, there is nothing conclusive that they are real, nothing conclusive that they aren't. The only thing I know for sure is they are really old and a really, really cool dude gave them to me. I have several left so I may try one this weekend. If I do I will let you and the rest of the board know.

Do any of these still exist, or have you dispatched them all KB?

Blog Entries

I still have some. You want some or all? Some of the wrappers are cracked, but none are too bad. They are all smokeable and the last one I had a year or so ago smoked really well.

Thread Information