Thread: Cognac in zippo

1. Default Cognac in zippo

Hey everyone new to the site and had a quick question. What brand cognac is best it use as lighter fluid in a zippo. Also what brand everclear. I just saw a couple sites talk about putting that instead of lighter fluid for taste reasons and to not ruin the flavor of the smoke. Please let me know thanks.

Default In all seriousness?

The flavor of the lighter fluid is almost non existent in today's zippo fluid. It burns very clean.. Let the flame burn for a few seconds before bringing it to your cigar. Whatever you do taste in the initial puffs will dissipate almost instantly after you're done lighting. Putting cognac or everclear into a zippo lighter sounds ridiculous. It's more likely to impart a burning alcohol flavor than anything else. The part of cognac that burns is the ALC, so you're not going to get the flavor of the booze anyways. And IMHO I'd rather drink zippo fluid than everclear. Why the hell would you wanna risk making your cigar taste like that awful stuff even for a moment?

Everclear in a zippo! Why didn't I think of that!

...now if only I could pressurize everclear for my butane lighter.

4. Default

Using cognac and a little bit of everclear to keep the flame hotter. If you look it up there's about 2 different sites talking about it.

Blog Entries

2!!!??!

So my wife bought me this zippo type lighter for x'mas a few years back. Having chain smoked cigarettes for 30+ years there was a period of some years where I used a zippo. Now, it's been 10+ years since I used a zippo but I'd wager that the Ronsonol brand lighter fluid I used to use still has a lousy taste to it. Regardless, I was not going to use a zippo type lighter on my cigars.

So I did a little research and discovered you can buy butane inserts for zippo's. So I bought one. It was under $20 if I remember correctly and works quite well. I bought it off of Amazon.com

So, there you go, buy a butane insert and you don't have to mess with nasty fluids..........of any kind...........and you can enjoy just the taste of your good cigar.
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bubsrolla View Post
    Using cognac and a little bit of everclear to keep the flame hotter. If you look it up there's about 2 different sites talking about it.
    What brand of chainsaws are good for brain surgery? If you look it up, there are about two different sites talking about it, one of them is puff.com.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Quote Originally Posted by CoventryCat86 View Post
    What brand of chainsaws are good for brain surgery? If you look it up, there are about two different sites talking about it, one of them is puff.com.
    If one of the two sites talking about it is puff, you actually have only one site talking about it. puff does not count - some pretty crazy "theories" are regularly associated with puff.

Hmmm... Yep! Definitely the talk on cigar "forums". "Anonymous" at John B's Cigar Blog talked about it (back in 2010). So did "Zippo" on The Stogie Guys (back in 2008). As did "Anonymous" on Cigar Advisor (back in 2008).

...the strange thing. It appears to be the same person posting the suggestion at each of those places. The posts look suspiciously similar.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post
    Hmmm... Yep! Definitely the talk on cigar "forums". "Anonymous" at John B's Cigar Blog talked about it (back in 2010). So did "Zippo" on The Stogie Guys (back in 2008). As did "Anonymous" on Cigar Advisor (back in 2008).

...the strange thing. It appears to be the same person posting the suggestion at each of those places. The posts look suspiciously similar.
    So, we have it being talked about on 3 sites now?

Quote Originally Posted by kingbeefy View Post
    So, we have it being talked about on 3 sites now?
    Yep! 3 sites in 5 years - and there's even a YouTube video of how to use everclear in your zippo (though the author did not mention anything about using cognac) .

...now if it would only go mainstream....

Hey everyone new to the site and had a quick question. What brand is best it use as lighter fluid in a zippo. Also what brand everclear. I just saw a couple sites talk about putting that instead of lighter fluid for taste reasons and to not ruin the flavor of the smoke. Please let me know thanks.
    Cognac and Everclear belong in a glass to be consumed, burning them in a lighter just don't sound right to me.
    Last edited by Mangyrat; 03-08-2013 at 01:00 PM.
    designated whipping boy for the grammar police
    Just run everything threw a spell checker.

Blog Entries

...now if it would only go mainstream....
    Now if we include this site it's being talked about in 4 places. Seems like it's picking up steam, with a little more effort this can be mainstream imo.

Quote Originally Posted by kingbeefy View Post
    Now if we include this site it's being talked about in 4 places. Seems like it's picking up steam, with a little more effort this can be mainstream imo.
    Hmmm... Perhaps if we develop a "cognac and Everclear" Harlem Shake this might go viral...

Hmmm... Perhaps if we develop a "cognac and Everclear" Harlem Shake this might go viral...
    ROFLMAO

Gagnam style...........or is it's 15 minutes over already?
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

Thread Information