Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Costa Rica cigars

Blog Entries

This place seemed like a scam at first, but seems to be, in actuality, a straight up company. Maybe somewhat of a language barrier. So...I ordered a couple of the samplers. When they come in, I'll report back and if a couple of guys want to try one, I'll send a few out.
    By the way, the shipping for two samplers was only $5.
    Matt

" I enjoy the smell of a good cigar." - Amanda Benefiel (my late Grandmother)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post
    HEY! You have my patio table!!! Fancy that! Me and Roham are linked by Patio Table!!

BTW - the claim is they're just like Cuban cigars. Any truth to that rumor?
    Mrs. Crabtree says "Roham and I"
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

The cigars arrived yesterday in perfect condition. Thank you very much for sharing with me Roham, and thanks to Danilo2709 for sending them to begin with.

I had one of the Ancestral's last night after dinner out on my deck with a glass of sweet tea.

The cigar was well constructed and had a nice feel to it.

The draw was medium and it produced a nice amount of smoke with each drag. I would put this cigar as mild to medium in strength and medium in complexity.

To be honest, this cigar reminded me more of a Te-Amo #4 (Mexican puro) than a Cuban. Cuban's to me have more of an "earthy" flavor to them.

There were a lot of a grassy notes of flavor (the Te-Amo #4 comparison) and little touches of a bitter/salty. Both of which I enjoy. Those were the only flavors I was able to define. There were others but I couldn't ever quite put a finger on what they reminded me of. I thought it had a really nice aftertaste too.

Overall, I enjoyed it enough I'd like to have a few in my humidor. I will likely try a sampler or two of the various ones they have available in the future.
    Last edited by CptnBlues63; 05-07-2013 at 10:09 AM. Reason: fixing a typo....
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

4. Default

Dignity Black Gold Reserve

RATED 91 by Cigar & Spirits Magazine 2012 Collectors Edition
    RATED 90 by Stogie Rate
    RATED 4 Stars for 30 Minutes by About.com (Robusto Size)

Pre-embargo Cuban seed of 1941

An elegant full body and spicy aroma with bold lavish bursts of spice, pepper and cocoa. The maduro wrapper adds a delicate touch of dark chocolate notes in the background mellowing to a soothing finish. Dignity Black Gold is a bold and smooth "Smoke of Art" aged over 2-years.

Churchill 52x7 * Torpedo 52x6 * Robusto 50x5

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dignity N.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	44.3 KB 
ID:	3407

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Danilo2709 View Post
    snip........

Pre-embargo Cuban seed of 1941

snip....
    Seriously? How many regenerations has the seed gone thru?

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    Seriously? How many regenerations has the seed gone thru?
    many.... out and in our country...

Blog Entries

many.... out and in our country...
    So then, just like everyone else that makes this claim, it means very little. I have some Cuban seed tobacco growing right now.

Blog Entries

Dignity Black Gold Reserve

RATED 91 by Cigar & Spirits Magazine 2012 Collectors Edition
    RATED 90 by Stogie Rate
    RATED 4 Stars for 30 Minutes by About.com (Robusto Size)
    I never heard of any of those.

I did see that your Dignity Black and Gold Reserve was RATED 38 out of 100 in the Sydney, Nova Scotia Super Secret Cigar Society Magazine, est. 1842. It's a local publication here in Nova Scotia but it has a huge readership across the globe and is widely respected.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Quote Originally Posted by CoventryCat86 View Post
    I never heard of any of those.

I did see that your Dignity Black and Gold Reserve was RATED 38 out of 100 in the Sydney, Nova Scotia Super Secret Cigar Society Magazine, est. 1842. It's a local publication here in Nova Scotia but it has a huge readership across the globe and is widely respected.
    The Sydney, Nova Scotia Super Secret Cigar Society Magazine - is that the same publication that rated Black and Milds at 94?

Blog Entries

The Sydney, Nova Scotia Super Secret Cigar Society Magazine - is that the same publication that rated Black and Milds at 94?
    You told me it was the Grape White Owl tubo.

Blog Entries

Nope, that was the North Sydney, Nova Scotia publication.

Quote Originally Posted by craig View Post
    Nope, that was the North Sydney, Nova Scotia publication.
    You understand my confusion, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    You told me it was the Grape White Owl tubo.
    I wasn't going to bring it up...

Look - finding well aged Grape White Owl Tubos is becoming increasingly difficult - no doubt due to that 94 rating...

Blog Entries

You understand my confusion, correct?
    Yes, definitely. At least the Sydney Mines Cigar Selector went to letter ratings.
    Craig
    Ahhhhhhhhhhh Cigar Jesus just wept - kevin7
    A cigar storage primer | Basic Cuban cigar info

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CptnBlues63 View Post
    That would be cool with me.

I'll post in this thread once they arrive and PM you at the same time and we'll get a small trade under way.
    This trade is complete. I got my end quickly but it took nearly three and a half decades for what I sent to clear Canadian customs. I hear they finally did arrive so we are all done here. Thanks for the trade and the great looking smokums you sent my way captn. I look forward to trading with you again someday.

Quote Originally Posted by kingbeefy View Post
    This trade is complete. I got my end quickly but it took nearly three and a half decades for what I sent to clear Canadian customs. I hear they finally did arrive so we are all done here. Thanks for the trade and the great looking smokums you sent my way captn. I look forward to trading with you again someday.
    Yes indeed, your end arrived safe and sound on Friday (finally...darn Canada Post........LOL).

That's a tasty looking bunch you sent me, thank you very much, I can't wait to get at them...........I'll probably spark one up tonight even.
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

Blog Entries

I got the two samplers I ordered on Saturday. The Ancestral Robusto Sampler and a Variety Sampler.
    They arrived in good shape, although not in any sort of zip lock. Just two packs of cigars in a box. Tabacos de la Cordillera did contact me to make sure all was well with the shipment.
    They are resting in my humi. I'm sure they're fine. They do look nice.
    I will send out two cigars (one from each sampler - my choice)to the first two that would like to try them. PM me your addresses. It takes me a few days to get to the post office when they're open, so be patient.
    Matt

" I enjoy the smell of a good cigar." - Amanda Benefiel (my late Grandmother)

Blog Entries

I had the Ancestral yesterday. It was constructed fairly well, though the cap was a little rough. The draw was nice. The burn needed a couple of touch ups and ash fell right at an inch. The flavor was a little bitter and a little sweet, and at times was more herbal than any other cigar I've had and as I got past the halfway point the herbal flavor became more dominant. It was mild to medium body.

I can't say it is a bad cigar, I would imagine some people would like it. It's not one I would smoke again though, it just isn't my cup of tea.

Thanks Curt for sending me one.

Thanks danillo for sharing with this community.

19. Default

Quote Originally Posted by kingbeefy View Post
    I had the Ancestral yesterday. It was constructed fairly well, though the cap was a little rough. The draw was nice. The burn needed a couple of touch ups and ash fell right at an inch. The flavor was a little bitter and a little sweet, and at times was more herbal than any other cigar I've had and as I got past the halfway point the herbal flavor became more dominant. It was mild to medium body.

I can't say it is a bad cigar, I would imagine some people would like it. It's not one I would smoke again though, it just isn't my cup of tea.

Thanks Curt for sending me one.

Thanks danillo for sharing with this community.

Thanks to take time to write your review. I appreciate it

Quote Originally Posted by ash13brook View Post
    It takes me a few days to get to the post office when they're open, so be patient.
    They seem to make it less convenient all the time, don't they?

Sent from my Star Trek communicator

Thread Information