Thread: son starts his cigar journey at 17

Default son starts his cigar journey at 17

Hi guys,

I am new to this forum and don't know if this is the right place to post this thread.
    I am a cigar aficionado for about 20 years now and over the last year or so noticed cigars going missing from my humidor.

Last night my 17 year old son Paul came clean, dad I have started smoking. Watching him carefully light his cigar made me realize he is no beginner and knows what he is doing. Part of me enjoys smoking with my son, part of me thinks he is too young to start his cigar journey at 17.

Any of you have had the same experience and how did you handle it.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Rick41 View Post
    Hi guys,

I am new to this forum and don't know if this is the right place to post this thread.
    I am a cigar aficionado for about 20 years now and over the last year or so noticed cigars going missing from my humidor.

Last night my 17 year old son Paul came clean, dad I have started smoking. Watching him carefully light his cigar made me realize he is no beginner and knows what he is doing. Part of me enjoys smoking with my son, part of me thinks he is too young to start his cigar journey at 17.

Rick
    Hi and welcome to the forum from Alberta, Canada

As to your son smoking, I started cigarettes when I was like 11. Having my son start smoking occasional cigars at 17 seems to me a whole lot better than chain smoking cig's at 11/12........lol. But that's just my opinion.

If it were me, I'd let him. I'd just tell him he should not smoke more than one or two a week and that should get a job and buy his own and quit smoking mine!

At 17 he's almost an adult and you're not going to make him quit if he truly enjoys it. The most you'll do is piss him off and put distance you likely don't want into your relationship. Just make sure he's aware of the health risks.

I would tell my son I'd prefer he didn't smoke, but it's pretty hard to be convincing with a lit cigar in your own hand as you tell your son not to. If he decided to continue smoking them, I'd consider it a fine chance for some quality time with my son and would try to get together with him regularly to smoke a cigar and talk.
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

Quote Originally Posted by Rick41 View Post
    Hi guys,

Rick
    There are plenty of "bad" things your son could get into. And cigars are not one of them...

My son began smoking cigars when he was 18 - at least "officially". He and I have had some GREAT conversations over a cigar. He's 24 now, and some of the best moments I have with him are when we both slow down to contemplate life and love over a nice cigar.

My recommendation - make each and every cigar smoking opportunity with your son as good as the last time. Smoke good cigars in a good atmosphere. Teach him to appreciate the subtleties of the various brands and vitolas. You might even be daring and introduce him to a dram of a good Scotch or Cognac - teaching him the value of enjoying the pairing of a good cigar and a fine spirit (rather than smoking a cigarette and chugging down shots of alcohol). Through those interactions he will come to appreciate positive stress reducers and good adult conversation.

Good luck!

BTW - one of my BEST father/son times was when I took him to Las Vegas for his 21st birthday. The brat decided to drink a "yard" (e.g. 10 shots of alcohol) in less than an hour. I spent the rest of the evening holding him up by the seat of his pants so he did not fall flat on his face... To this day - one of the best stories I tell in his presence.

Thread Information