Thread: Help me find a new cigar to smoke

1. Default Help me find a new cigar to smoke

I've been smoking cigars for over 20 years and many of the old brands are gone, being made by somebody else which totally changed the flavor or simply not as good as they used to be. I have been a loyal Fuente/Newman smoker for years and love the Don Carlos, Opus X, Diamond Crown, and others. I also smoke a lot of the Oliva Connecticut Robusto, the San Louis Rey Rothchild Natural, some San Cristobal and Tatujuate.

I am looking for a medium bodied cigar with a very spicy mixed with sweet flavor that will stay consistent to the end and not get harsh. I prefer Robusto sizes but also Double Robusto, Toro and Figurado shapes. I don't care what the blend is particularly but am most interested in a mix of full flavor and excellent burn. I have not smoked many good brands such as Rocky Patel, Ashton, Padron and others. I do not like earthy, salty or leathery flavors but more of a chocolate, cinnamon, sweet cream, berry or something similar to that. Do you know of any cigars that have a similar blend that I am looking for in the sizes I described? I don't want to pay more than $10.00 a stick but would go as high as $15.00 if the cigar is really top notch. I know there are hundreds of smokers on this board that smoke virtually ever major brand out there so I am asking for a recommendation based on what I've shared. I am anxious to hear what you fellow cigar lovers have to say. Thanks for reading this and the top three cigars I pick based on your recommendation will get something from me for participating. So pull out your cigar logs and into your humidor to see what you would recommend.

Thanks Much

Big Dog

Padron 1926 Maduro won't let you down. Actually any Padron for that matter. You may also want to check out La Flor Dominicana, but they often tend towards the heavier side.
    "It was a pleasure to burn." - Ray Bradbury

When I saw this:

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog7172 View Post
    I am looking for a medium bodied cigar with a very spicy mixed with sweet flavor that will stay consistent to the end and not get harsh
    I immediately thought this:

Quote Originally Posted by Cody44 View Post
    Padron 1926 Maduro won't let you down. Actually any Padron for that matter.
    Hi and welcome to the forum from Alberta, Canada btw....
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

Quote Originally Posted by Cody44 View Post
    Padron 1926 Maduro won't let you down. Actually any Padron for that matter. You may also want to check out La Flor Dominicana, but they often tend towards the heavier side.
    If you get Padron 1926's in the $10-15 range, I'd love to hear about it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post
    If you get Padron 1926's in the $10-15 range, I'd love to hear about it.
    I got them (#9s) for $15.46 one time...

I didn't bother responding to this thread simply because of the long, drawn out requirements and the sense of underlying bullshit.
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Onyx reserve

Quote Originally Posted by SSDD View Post
    Onyx reserve
    Interesting recommendation.

I'm not sure I've ever found any Onyx Reserve cigar to be "...a medium bodied cigar with a very spicy mixed with sweet flavor that will stay consistent to the end and not get harsh". I don't recall it being "spicy" and there was a fair amount of harshness at the end. Compared to any Fuente cigar - definitely a different cigar altogether.

But it does fall in the lower end of price point at around $6-7.

I find the reserve to be quite spicy albeit a bit harsh at the end. Guess our tasters are operating on different frequencies.

I will admit that things do taste different post chemotherapy, even 12 years out.

9. Default

Hi, I recommend you our Fundacion Ancestral serie 1943. www.tabacordillera.cr

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Danilo2709 View Post
    Hi, I recommend you our Fundacion Ancestral serie 1943. www.tabacordillera.cr
    Anybody else having deja vu?

Actually, it was a nice move to send some samplers out to Roham. Well played Danilo.

11. Default

Quote Originally Posted by kingbeefy View Post
    Anybody else having deja vu?

Actually, it was a nice move to send some samplers out to Roham. Well played Danilo.

Tell me... what is wrong with you? I just give my opinion!. Can I do that, it isnt ????????

Blog Entries

Tell me... what is wrong with you? I just give my opinion!. Can I do that, it isnt ????????
    Maybe you misread my statement that was written in actual English.

I was trying to give you a high five via keyboard for sending out a sampler. I thought it was nice of you to do that.

Blog Entries

Well, one nice thing done doesn't exactly give you free reign to shill your cigars at every opportunity all across the board.

Do you smoke anything other than your own cigars?

Some of us might just be waiting for our fellow members to post reviews of your cigars before pulling the trigger. I would also suspect that many of those same members would be unlikely to purchase cigars from an annoying psudo-spammer.

And the sheeps clothing begins to unfurl.

15. Default

Quote Originally Posted by kingbeefy View Post
    Maybe you misread my statement that was written in actual English.

I was trying to give you a high five via keyboard for sending out a sampler. I thought it was nice of you to do that.

Ok get it

Danilo - you might have a cigar some of our members seem to like, but I'm not completely convinced you're a stand up operation. Particularly with some of the responses you've made to our community members.

The most successful cigar manufacturers I know show incredible graciousness and patience with their customers. Criticism can be difficult (even if you don't view it as constructive), but encouraging feedback and accepting criticism should be your goal if you're serious about improving your business and attracting customers.

It may helpful for you to read up on "Give 'em the Pickle" (http://www.giveemthepickle.com/). Bob Farrell has some very compelling information about improving customer service...

And please don't post a link to your online store in every thread where someone is asking for recommendations. That's just plain tacky...

Wow, can a thread ever stay on topic for more than 3 posts?... haha Well I think Liga Privada #9 is one of the best smokes you can get (it is very strong though), also I'm really digging the Espinosa Habano lately, have you tried either of those yet?
    Out of all the interwebs and www's, I can say that this is my favorite smoke shop

Quote Originally Posted by Sumatra Samurai View Post
    Well I think Liga Privada #9 is one of the best smokes you can get (it is very strong though).
    I agree. I'm really enjoy the Liga Privada #9. I also enjoy the Illusione 88 & 888 Maduros.

Thread Information