Thread: Your Golf "Secret" and How It Makes You A Better Player

Default Your Golf "Secret" and How It Makes You A Better Player

I practice what I need to on the range and practice green and then I take dead aim. There is only one way to play golf. And that is practiced and thought about on the range and then the only thing you think about on the course during play is the target. JMHO.

What's your secret?

Blog Entries

I just never go out and practice, and go to the range about once every 5 years. I feel that give me the "beginners luck" almost every time I play
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

I start at the 19th hole and stay there.

Blog Entries

You're right George, the only way to improve your game is to practice and play regularly. If you play every two weeks, your game will improve to a certain level that you will get stuck at. If you then play every week, you will improve your game but you'll plateau out. The only way to improve then is to play multiple times a week. If you do that, your game will improve once again.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Very often, you cannot tell what you are doing right or wrong on your own. Whether it be on the course or the range. Practice is extremely important, but you need a baseline to work from with a goal in mind. I recommend everyone get at least one professional lesson with photo and video recordings of your existing swing. From here you can now feel what you have seen, and adjust / improve from there.

If a pro is not in the cards, then just a friend with a cell phone camera and a decent knowledge of the game will make an improvement...albeit not very significant IMHO

Blog Entries

I just buy the latest, most expensive gear I can find.

Hey hog. I hear rumors you're a good golfer. Care to share with the community what it is you do to prepare for your game?

Blog Entries

I played at least 2-3 times a week all through junior and senior high school, and probably once / twice a month through my 30's.....then gave it up. I could consistently shoot in the mid-eighties, with the every now and then shitty round of 90+. Not sure why I quit playing, maybe change in priorities, lack of time....whatever. Sold my clubs in a garage sale 3 or 4 years ago.

I started getting interested in playing again a few weeks ago after listening to the guys in the office talk about it. Borrowed an extra set of clubs from our sales guy and went to the range a couple of times. Dammit man, it was like riding a bike. No, my shots weren't dead-center, and I have somehow acquired a fade with the driver where my natural shot was always a draw. No toppers......no dribblers.....no mad slices or shanks....and no whiff's! I've been to the range a few times, and the putting greens once. Man, I sucked ass at putting.

So, I bought a new set of clubs last weekend since it was "end of season" sale time. I'll hit the range with them this afternoon.
    WTF, I need the exercise, the stretching will be good for the back, the walking will hopefully tone up my calves...aaaaand you can still smoke cigars on the courses around here.

Blog Entries

I missed all of the scrambles this year due to various work requirements and beer fests. It would have been nice to get out.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    the walking will hopefully tone up my calves...
    Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    Buzz is smoking our cigars. This probably is his triumphant scam.

Blog Entries

ashauler's calves waiting to be toned up:

The golf courses around here are pet friendly, I hope they are in Kansas too!
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Blog Entries

Well, Kansas is very pet friendly. Only thing is, those calves are called freezer fillers around here, not pets.

Blog Entries

Ok, now that I've played just a bit, I'll share one of my secrets.
    Beer.

Blog Entries

Beer makes me better at EVERYTHING!!!

I think.

Blog Entries

Ok, I've played about 16 rounds now since I started back up late last fall. I'm trying to play every Sunday morning that the temp and wind-chill is above 32F.
    I've got an app on my phone called swing by swing that has a GPS map of the course, yardages, score keeping and handicap calculations. It says I'm a 16 handicap.
    Dang, I think that kinda sucks, but the sales guy across the hall thinks it's not so bad.

I know I'm losing the most strokes around the greens. I'm not bad off the tee, or outside 60 yards or so, but get me inside that, where I can't hit a full sand-wedge, but yet can't quite get there with the lob wedge and I'm pretty well fucked. I had several pars and even a birdie,but enough triple bogies that I ended up at 89, par is 70, so 19 over....worse than bogy golf, but shit, I'm not gonna bitch too much. I did get to smoke a couple of Padron lonnies during the round so I had that going for me.

Thread Information