Thread: Instant beer

Blog Entries

Default Instant beer

http://www.businessinsider.com/just-...nvented-2013-8

I am not sure if there is a market for this, but I salute the inventiveness.

Blog Entries

I guess that's a good idea and if I see any at my local liquor store in September I will probably be a sucker and try it. But I would bet there is a better than average chance that it tastes like sweaty Sasquatch anus. Which, contrary to what some out there may think, I would not enjoy at all.

What I don't get is they try to make it appealing by saying you won't have to lug a 12 pack on long walks anymore. You will, however, still need to lug the concentrate and the water to mix with it, which doesn't really decrease the hassle of it all. The hassle increases if anything, having to lug multiple containers/items around until you find that perfect, scenic, wooded glen to mix it all up before punch-dancing out your rage.

Assuming it does taste good, I have no idea what effective marketing would look like for a product like this. The only potentially legit angle I could imagine would be freshness?

Quote Originally Posted by kingbeefy View Post
    I guess that's a good idea and if I see any at my local liquor store in September I will probably be a sucker and try it. But I would bet there is a better than average chance that it tastes like sweaty Sasquatch anus. Which, contrary to what some out there may think, I would not enjoy at all.

What I don't get is they try to make it appealing by saying you won't have to lug a 12 pack on long walks anymore. You will, however, still need to lug the concentrate and the water to mix with it, which doesn't really decrease the hassle of it all. The hassle increases if anything, having to lug multiple containers/items around until you find that perfect, scenic, wooded glen to mix it all up before punch-dancing out your rage.

Assuming it does taste good, I have no idea what effective marketing would look like for a product like this. The only potentially legit angle I could imagine would be freshness?
    This new "beer" was featured on a local news program one morning - very brief blurb. But - I did a bit more reasearch and found this on their website (which might explain why he's set out to do this...

In 1997 Patrick Tatera was on a backpacking trip in the southern region of Canyon Lands Park in UT. Just before leaving on the trip, he and his buddy purchased a 12 pack of tasty micro brewed refreshment, put it on ice in a cooler, and then left it in the car at the trailhead. By mid afternoon, they had reached their designated camp spot in an awe inspiring section of the park. The sky was blue, the smell of sage brush permeated the air, and there was not another hiker to be seen. Everything was perfect… except one thing.

After a few hours of side hikes, and milling around camp, the beer back in the car began calling. At first it reached their ears as a whisper, but soon its cry became deafening. In their madness, driven by desperation and a desire answer the call from the car, they packed up camp and made a hasty retreat to a tasty treat.

It’s amazing how many people have shared similar stories. Or even worse… people that have lugged heavy bags of beer long distances just so they could enjoy a “cold one” in a beautiful and remote location. It’s sad to think that we have not yet evolved from this primitive nonsense. But don’t be afraid. That’s all about to change.

Since that day it’s been one of Patrick’s great life ambitions to develop a process of making beer that would allow backcountry travelers to enjoy all the beauty of real beer, while in the beauty of the real backcountry. To develop a concentrate that would allow travelers to have their beer and take it too. So next time mother nature would prevail while they were sipping a pale ale.
    I'm intrigued... However, I'm not liking to spend over $40 for four beers... I'll wait until the reviews start to pour in before I decide if I want to go that way.

Blog Entries

Question: How does one know what sweaty Sasquatch anus tastes like?

Water can be locally sourced, and if the beer is left in a stream long enough, it'll be cold enough to be drinkable.

We used to use one of those food sealer things to make "booze bags." Those, and some good powder drink crystals and a water filtration system, made suitable refreshment after a day of hiking to a remote spot to camp.

These days I stick to car camping - well, actually, I stick to the back balcony and a nice cigar. :-)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by craig View Post
    Question: How does one know what sweaty Sasquatch anus tastes like?

Water can be locally sourced, and if the beer is left in a stream long enough, it'll be cold enough to be drinkable.

We used to use one of those food sealer things to make "booze bags." Those, and some good powder drink crystals and a water filtration system, made suitable refreshment after a day of hiking to a remote spot to camp.

These days I stick to car camping - well, actually, I stick to the back balcony and a nice cigar. :-)
    You make plenty of good points here.

Blog Entries

How about sneaking beer in to sporting events?

Thread Information