Thread: Custom Humidor Project

Default Custom Humidor Project

Hey Guys,

So I've got myself a vintage Goyard steamer trunk, and I've been trying to get someone to turn it into, basically, a giant desktop preferably with both active humidification and temp control. Does anyone know of any custom shops or craftsmen who'd be willing/able to do this kind of work? I understand it won't be cheap, and it will probably take a while to complete.

Thanks,
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MikePach View Post
    Hey Guys,

So I've got myself a vintage Goyard steamer trunk, and I've been trying to get someone to turn it into, basically, a giant desktop preferably with both active humidification and temp control. Does anyone know of any custom shops or craftsmen who'd be willing/able to do this kind of work? I understand it won't be cheap, and it will probably take a while to complete.

Thanks,
    Mike
    I looked into doing something similar with a Crown Royal box a while back. It is going to cost (why I never bothered) but most any fine carpenter/cabinet maker could do the job for you. You would want the entire inside lined with spanish cedar and some shelves made I'm thinking. I would use no less than 1/8" thick wood.

As for humidifying, I would probably go with Heartfelt brand humidity beads but if you want to use an electric humidifier, run electrical into the humidor with an outlet inside. Beads would be better I'm thinking and you could buy enough to do the job and have half in the bottom, half in the top. If you need/want a hygrometer, I'd look into one with a remote sensor. You could then mount the sensor inside and have the display on top/side of the outside of the humidor so you'd never have to open it to check your RH level.

I love the idea btw and think it would make a very cool humidor.

If I had the money to afford the cigars required to make it worth my while, there's a cedar sauna in my house that we never use. I wouldn't mind turning that into a walk-in humidor but in all honesty, I can't afford to fill it with cigars......LOL
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

Well right now I've got a pretty big Avallo doing most of my work, a couple of Ellie Bleu and a smaller glass cabinet. This would be strictly my long term aging box. I agree that any good cabinet maker should be able to complete the job but I would prefer to get someone who's familiar with the concept of storing and aging cigars, humidifying and such. Also I'm not sure how many cabinet guys are familiar with ringing active humidity/temp controls in boxes.

I'll have to look into that but obviously due to the cost of the trunk itself and the stuff that's going into it, I'd rather deal with someone experienced in the humidor craft.

If I ever get this all accomplished ill be sure to post up some pics and let you see how it went.

Blog Entries

What is your preference for "long-term" aging? What RH are you shooting for, what type of airflow...etc.
    By long-term, are you meaning 1-5 years.....5-10 years....10+?

Well right now I've got a pretty big Avallo doing most of my work, a couple of Ellie Bleu and a smaller glass cabinet. This would be strictly my long term aging box. I agree that any good cabinet maker should be able to complete the job but I would prefer to get someone who's familiar with the concept of storing and aging cigars, humidifying and such. Also I'm not sure how many cabinet guys are familiar with ringing active humidity/temp controls in boxes.

I'll have to look into that but obviously due to the cost of the trunk itself and the stuff that's going into it, I'd rather deal with someone experienced in the humidor craft.

If I ever get this all accomplished ill be sure to post up some pics and let you see how it went.
    If it were me and I wanted to get this project done I'd call Arlin Liss. Give him a call - he's very easy to talk to and has no qualms about helping in any way he can (his advice is always free). I've seen him active on the cigar boards for years - and his work always speaks for itself. He has a great reputation.

http://www.arlinliss.com/

Good luck - it should be nice when it's done!

Yea I was referred to him by Avallo, he's a great guy but his design just isn't what I was looking for, he wanted to make a drop in humidor that goes into the trunk rather than converting the trunk itself. I told him I was sorry to pass on him and he referred me to another guy who could hopefully help me out more along my original design idea.

Yea I was referred to him by Avallo, he's a great guy but his design just isn't what I was looking for, he wanted to make a drop in humidor that goes into the trunk rather than converting the trunk itself. I told him I was sorry to pass on him and he referred me to another guy who could hopefully help me out more along my original design idea.
    You've passed on Avallo AND Arlin? Whoah....

Hey cc86 - your memory is stellar... What was that guys name that was making humidors? Waxing moon or something like that?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post
    You've passed on Avallo AND Arlin? Whoah....

Hey cc86 - your memory is stellar... What was that guys name that was making humidors? Waxing moon or something like that?
    Yeah WaxingMoon....

He had a might high opinion of himself. He was very proud of his wooden hinges. Seems to me too many of his customers were exercising their right to a money-back guarantee. I think I remember someone posting on some other site about how WaxingMoons doesn't pay his bills, robs Peter to pay Paul, etc.

Oh, then there's humi-mini (HumidorMinister), remember him? Another blowhard who was extremely impressed with himself. Looks like things went South for him since his domain name is for sale. I'm simply SHOCKED, I tell you SHOCKED! Who woulda thunk that self-centered, egotistical bastard could have possibly failed at anything?

Study those MikeyPatch and tell us how you made out. And if WaxingMoons wants money up front then you're a complete idiot if you agree to that.
    Last edited by CoventryCat86; 09-04-2013 at 03:36 PM.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

I'm curious what the difference is between one that fits inside the trunk and converting the trunk itself. I suspect the biggest difference would be glue. Which you could apply yourself after delivery. Just ask whomever to leave the outside of the drop-in humidor raw wood.

Question: Have you even bothered contacting a fine carpenter or a cabinet maker?

I only ask because you do not seem to understand that making a wooden humidor requires the same skill set as the two aforementioned wood workers. If you think about it, you'll realize a humidor IS nothing more than a small cabinet.

10. Default Function vs form

To make a trunk into a humidor assumes that the trunk is suitable.

Does the trunk has sufficient structural strength in the hinges to support the increased weight that a full internal liner will add.
    Will the trunks hinges maintain the precise alignment to the base that is needed to seal the contents
    Is the trunk designed to flex rather than stay rigid

Requiring anyone to make something function like a humidor means it has to be built that way. If retaining the exterior appearance is desired then the most PRACTICAL way is to build a humidor that is designed to fit PRECISELY in the trunk.

Merely attaching a wooden liner and calling it a humidor is an accident looking to happen.

Putting a coolerdor inside the trunk makes more sense if FUNCTIONALITY is the priority.

Best of luck in your quest

Quote Originally Posted by arlinliss View Post
    To make a trunk into a humidor assumes that the trunk is suitable.

Does the trunk has sufficient structural strength in the hinges to support the increased weight that a full internal liner will add.
    Will the trunks hinges maintain the precise alignment to the base that is needed to seal the contents
    Is the trunk designed to flex rather than stay rigid

Requiring anyone to make something function like a humidor means it has to be built that way. If retaining the exterior appearance is desired then the most PRACTICAL way is to build a humidor that is designed to fit PRECISELY in the trunk.

Merely attaching a wooden liner and calling it a humidor is an accident looking to happen.

Putting a coolerdor inside the trunk makes more sense if FUNCTIONALITY is the priority.

Best of luck in your quest
    Arlin - I think it's safe to say our friend had something in mind that was his interpretation of reality. Kinda like someone wanting a car built to do the things they're able to do in Fast and Furious...

I've also noticed he's not been back since he was given some very solid advice. I guess we did't serve his needs either. Oh well...

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post
    Arlin - I think it's safe to say our friend had something in mind that was his interpretation of reality. Kinda like someone wanting a car built to do the things they're able to do in Fast and Furious...

I've also noticed he's not been back since he was given some very solid advice. I guess we did't serve his needs either. Oh well...

Or, kind of like the episode of the Simpson's where Homers long lost brother lets him design a car.......

I'm glad to see the info I got from the cabinetmaker I spoke with wasn't far off the mark. I have this lovely Crown Royal box with a glass top my wife picked up for me at a garage sale that she thought might make a humidor. So I made a couple calls, talked to a couple people and the general consensus was, it would be cheaper to buy a humi that holds however many this thing would hold once converted. If I had the skill and proper tools I could do it myself for the cost of the wood in which case it would be worthwhile. But I don't and it's just not that important to me......even though the box has "CR" on the glass and those are my initials.......

Thread Information