Thread: Tobacco taxation laws based on each State and the Online Cigar Shop

1. Default Tobacco taxation laws based on each State and the Online Cigar Shop

Hello everyone,

The excise officer in my State told me that if I want to sell tobacco online, then I need to register with each State since the tobacco laws are different in each State. I am not sure if he knew what he was talking about but I could be wrong. Can someone please help me understand this?

I will charge people sales tax based on their State at the time of online purchase but why do I need to pay each State Tobacco tax? Paying tobacco tax to my State isn't enough? Please advise because registering with each State sounds insane and must be very costly.

Thanks in advance,
    Zack

Quote Originally Posted by cigarbuff View Post
    Hello everyone,

The excise officer in my State told me that if I want to sell tobacco online, then I need to register with each State since the tobacco laws are different in each State. I am not sure if he knew what he was talking about but I could be wrong. Can someone please help me understand this?

I will charge people sales tax based on their State at the time of online purchase but why do I need to pay each State Tobacco tax? Paying tobacco tax to my State isn't enough? Please advise because registering with each State sounds insane and must be very costly.

Thanks in advance,
    Zack
    I'm not a tax expert, but I do know Illinois keeps pressing out of state merchants to pay Illinois tax on items shipped to this state. It's been something they've been whining about for years - and I do not believe they have jurisdiction to enforce collecting out of state sales taxes. It appears it may one day go to payment of state taxes on out of state sales - but I'm fairly confident in the current situation what you're being told is not 100% accurate...

If it were my business, I'd ask the excise officer to show me where it's codified that a tobacco retailer must collect out of state tobacco taxes.

3. Default

You are correct ggiese, this excise officer didn't sound confident about it himself And after I questioned his statement, he asked ME to look into it further on my own and also added... "can we stick to Connecticut and not worry about other States?"

Let's see if a tax expert responds to my post. I will try to check with an accountant as well.

Thanks for your response!
    Zack

You are correct ggiese, this excise officer didn't sound confident about it himself And after I questioned his statement, he asked ME to look into it further on my own and also added... "can we stick to Connecticut and not worry about other States?"

Let's see if a tax expert responds to my post. I will try to check with an accountant as well.

Thanks for your response!
    Zack
    I'm not sure about th accountant, but I believe we have a resident tax expert on the board. And he lives nearby in Chaplin, CT!

Blog Entries

Are you really that stupid? Some bureaucrat in one state has no business and no authority to claim to know what requirements are in other states or other countries.

I may not be a tax expert from Chaplin, CT, (I'm just a retired cigar smoker who lives in Nova Scotia) but it doesn't take a "tax expert" to know that you're an idiot "Zack."
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by CoventryCat86 View Post
    Are you really that stupid? Some bureaucrat in one state has no business and no authority to claim to know what requirements are in other states or other countries.

I may not be a tax expert from Chaplin, CT, (I'm just a retired cigar smoker who lives in Nova Scotia) but it doesn't take a "tax expert" to know that you're an idiot "Zack."
    You woke up on the wrong side of the bed or something? or high on something other than tobacco? Your attitude in your response confirms that you are in fact a Stupid idiot!!

Blog Entries

You woke up on the wrong side of the bed or something? or high on something other than tobacco? Your attitude in your response confirms that you are in fact a Stupid idiot!!
    Look you moron, you asked a really STUPID question
    Can someone please help me understand this?
    so you shouldn't be surprised when I call you names. You're obviously too dumb to understand that the person (you said an "Excise officer") in one state cannot give credible legal advice regarding law in the other 49 states.

Connecticut doesn't have "Excise officers" so if you're claiming to spoke to an "Excise Officer" in the State of Connecticut, you're too stupid to talk intelligently about this subject matter. What state agency did you talk to? Do you even know what I mean by that question? Odds are you don't......

ggiese, I don't think this jackass cigarbuffy has the ability to comprehend much so trying to give him advice is a complete waste of time.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Thread Information