Thread: Interview with Bobby Orr

Blog Entries

Default Interview with Bobby Orr

First interview in many, many, years was broadcast last night.

Wayne may be "the great one," Gordie is 'Mr. Hockey,' but Orr is the greatest hockey player ever.

http://www.cbc.ca/m/touch/news/story/1.2053862

2. Default

He had a career +/- of 597, and an incredible season in 70-71 of +124. What he did for hockey in New England can hardly be measured. Within a few years of his arrival, the number of rinks tripled in the region and is still going strong to this day, all because of Orr.

Doc
    Last edited by Devil Doc; 10-15-2013 at 09:58 AM.
    Do draft dodgers have reunions? And if so what do they talk about?
    Doc

Blog Entries

I was incredibly excited when Bobby left Boston and came to Chicago... I was completely devestated when the injuries he'd suffered over the years at Boston took their toll when he came to Chicago and he did not play with the 'fire' I'd seen in his Boston years. Still - I can't argue - he is one of the greatest!

I still remember the 60's era and a lot of the great players from that time. Guys like Phil Esposito, Bobby Hull, Henri Richard, Frank Mahovlich, "Red" Kelly, Stan Makita and Gordie Howe. Not sure I'd say they were "greater" than Wayne or Bobby, but DAMN! - I really loved watching hockey back then.

Blog Entries

Back then, Toronto was actually a competitive club. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by craig View Post
    Back then, Toronto was actually a competitive club. ;-)
    Oh yes it was! And there were some great rivalries too!

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post
    I was incredibly excited when Bobby left Boston and came to Chicago... I was completely devestated when the injuries he'd suffered over the years at Boston took their toll when he came to Chicago and he did not play with the 'fire' I'd seen in his Boston years. Still - I can't argue - he is one of the greatest!

I still remember the 60's era and a lot of the great players from that time. Guys like Phil Esposito, Bobby Hull, Henri Richard, Frank Mahovlich, "Red" Kelly, Stan Makita and Gordie Howe. Not sure I'd say they were "greater" than Wayne or Bobby, but DAMN! - I really loved watching hockey back then.
    I think that's my favorite era too........and on into the early 70's. Back then I was a Hab's fan like most boys where I lived and in fact, Gordie Howe is from my home town.....sort of. He's actually from Floral, Saskatchewan which was about 15 miles out of Saskatoon (my home town) As a kid there was just a grain elevator there with "Floral" on it but I understand even that was demolished around 2003.

One of my favorite memories is watching Yvan Cournoyer streaking down the boards, switching hands on the fly, and scoring with a blazing wrist shot!

And who could forget Gary Cheevers with all the stiches on his mask!

Damn! That was hockey!
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

Blog Entries

Everyone's favourite era is pre-adolescence :-).

Funny, I came to the realisation late last night that I started to lose interest in hockey right about now, 41 years ago. I had seen the enemy - the one that meant we watched civil defence films in school, and had an air raid siren across the street - and the 'enemy' played hockey. Looking back, life for me was no longer black and white after that.

9. Default

Harry Sinden once said, ""Howe could do everything but not at top speed. Hull went at top speed but couldn't do everything. Orr would do everything, and do it at top speed". Gretsky, on the other hand, was a whiny bitch who could make plays and score, but sucked at playing defense. I suspect, but don't really know, he never got a 5 min. major for fighting.

Doc
    Do draft dodgers have reunions? And if so what do they talk about?
    Doc

Quote Originally Posted by Devil Doc View Post
    Harry Sinden once said, ""Howe could do everything but not at top speed. Hull went at top speed but couldn't do everything. Orr would do everything, and do it at top speed". Gretsky, on the other hand, was a whiny bitch who could make plays and score, but sucked at playing defense. I suspect, but don't really know, he never got a 5 min. major for fighting.

Doc
    LOL

Who doesn't remember Orr, flying along in front of the net (literally, horizontal to the ice after taking a hit) still controlling the puck and then scoring!

Orr was an exception to a lot of rules and even though I never actively cheered for his teams, I still loved watching him play.

Quote Originally Posted by craig View Post
    Everyone's favourite era is pre-adolescence :-).

Funny, I came to the realisation late last night that I started to lose interest in hockey right about now, 41 years ago. I had seen the enemy - the one that meant we watched civil defence films in school, and had an air raid siren across the street - and the 'enemy' played hockey. Looking back, life for me was no longer black and white after that.
    We must be about the same age. I too have fond memories of the cold war. I actually remember being in grade 1 climbing under my desk as the air raid siren's went off during a test. Just as I remember that 1972 series like I watched it yesterday. It wasn't the Russians that caused me to lose interest in hockey though, it was blowing out my knee 5 years later when still a teen that did the trick for me.
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

Blog Entries

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Bct...e_gdata_player

Orr interviewed on George (Canadian TV show). I thought that it was interesting how there was no hesitation on Orr's part on answering who he thought was the greatest hockey player. (just over 9 minutes)

As background for non-Canadians (or youngsters), there is an old clip shown of the show "Front Page Challenge" during the interview. The show's premise is the viewers at home are told who the mystery guest is (the voice over at the beginning of the clip) and the contestants ask the mystery guest questions to try and identify him/her.

Thread Information