Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Turbolags Very Own Thread to Discuss His Business Venture

Default Turbolags Very Own Thread to Discuss His Business Venture

Quote Originally Posted by Turbolag View Post
    Had my first Nub Conneticut a couple this past week.

Sorry, but you should really consider taking that link out of your signature. It's a very poorly written article, and is flat out wrong on many accounts. But really, I can't wait to watch your videos.

And for goodness sake, clean and trim those monkey toes please.

Turbolag

I apologize for my seemingly personal attack on you. The crack on your fingers was purely meant to be a joke. I realize now, you have no understanding of my sense of humor. We do not remove or unnecessarily edit our posts on this board, so it will remain.

What got me going was your blog. If you only started with..."In my limited experience"...or even "So far, this has what's worked for me"

You try to be an authority on the topic, which you clearly are not. I'm certainly no authority on cigars, and I'm quite alright with that. In your future endeavors in creative writing, I suggest humility and honesty. I think you'll be much better received.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreekTitan View Post
    Turbolag

I apologize for my seemingly personal attack on you. The crack on your fingers was purely meant to be a joke. I realize now, you have no understanding of my sense of humor. We do not remove or unnecessarily edit our posts on this board, so it will remain.

What got me going was your blog. If you only started with..."In my limited experience"...or even "So far, this has what's worked for me"

You try to be an authority on the topic, which you clearly are not. I'm certainly no authority on cigars, and I'm quite alright with that. In your future endeavors in creative writing, I suggest humility and honesty. I think you'll be much better received.
    Just trying to get my own website going to help other new people in the hobby out.

I'm new to writing articles, that was my first one.

Please tell me what was wrong in the article.

I'm not trying to be an authority, only help out people new to the hobby.
    Last edited by Turbolag; 11-17-2013 at 09:21 AM.

Just trying to get my own website going to help other new people in the hobby out.

Do what you gotta do, you're your own man. I guess my main recommendations would be to smoke more, and read more.

I've spent countless hours reading reviews and tips. I've also smoked a lot of cigars. But, I still wouldn't feel comfortable acting as an authority figure. Which IS what you're doing, regardless of your intentions.

Blog Entries

It's more like he's using this, and probably other sites to drive traffic to his.

I've always wondered this when it crops up "Beginners tips for cigar smoking" I mean, what's so complicated about smoking? Maybe you start out biting the end off or something? If you go to a lounge, you're going to observe what others do anyway. Lighting a cigar? Pretty complicated. Smoking without inhaling. Rocket Science! I totally wish I had a beginners guide when I had my first half smoked El Producto in Boy Scouts. Maybe at 11yrs old, I was a natural. Perhaps an old relatives spirit was within me, guiding me through the mystery of smoking.

All that said, I think the only purpose for those sites is to make money (eventually.)
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

I've also smoked a lot of cigars. But, I still wouldn't feel comfortable acting as an authority figure.
    I agree with you. I don't really feel comfortable doing it. BUT I really wanted to try and give it a shot. I've watched reviews and read and really wanted to try to do my own thing. I don't know if it will work or not. I definitely know I have a lot to learn and am trying to learn as much as I can so I can share with others. I would like to make money with my site, but I also would like to help people enjoy the hobby. I've had help getting in to it and learning from others and I would like to share what I have learned.

Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    It's more like he's using this, and probably other sites to drive traffic to his.

I've always wondered this when it crops up "Beginners tips for cigar smoking" I mean, what's so complicated about smoking? Maybe you start out biting the end off or something? If you go to a lounge, you're going to observe what others do anyway. Lighting a cigar? Pretty complicated. Smoking without inhaling. Rocket Science! I totally wish I had a beginners guide when I had my first half smoked El Producto in Boy Scouts. Maybe at 11yrs old, I was a natural. Perhaps an old relatives spirit was within me, guiding me through the mystery of smoking.

All that said, I think the only purpose for those sites is to make money (eventually.)
    Bingo, you post links in your articles to get traffic to your site. I would love to be able to monetize my site. But I really don't know if it will work out or not. I love the cigar and pipe hobby and love learning. I would like to share what I learn with other new comers so they can enjoy the hobby and not get frustrated. So please, if you see something wrong, let me know and I'll change it.

I really don't like the idea of advertising like that. But I'm following a program to help build my site and one of the sections is about joining a website and sharing your info. This is a huge adjustment for me. I'm not really sure if its gonna work or not. We'll see.
    Last edited by Turbolag; 11-17-2013 at 07:28 PM.

Blog Entries

Here's the problem the way I see it, Turbolag:

We don't know you. You don't know us. Are you just here to promote your site? Sofar, it seems so. Let me ask you this, would you print 500 little election signs with the http: to your site and go around town planting them in people's yards? Would you maybe ask people if you could put one there? Maybe your friends would plant one in their yard for you. Maybe you could put one at the grocery store classified corkboard. But we're not any of those things.

Ya know, I think we have a nice community here to help new people out with questions about cigar smoking. Maybe I don't want to see traffic diverted to your site.
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Cabaiguan after breakfast.
    El Cobre after dinner.

Both really good, but I'm concerned I didn't smoke them properly.

Look... I really, really want to help you, because you're in desparate need. Let me see if I can answer your questions for you, but please take my comments with the candid frankness you need at this point...

So ask yourself - is this about YOU or is this about the cigar smoking community? Because, quite frankly, if it's about the cigar smoking community you would not be posting links to your website trying to draw people away from an established cigar discussion community. Your fledgling venture has all sorts of 'issues' - not the least of which it's completely obvious you're brand new to this. It would seem to me you'd be "studying" right now - not trying to jump into something you don't have any skill at...

That's completely obvious! (read my answer in the above question)

Let's just say - In fairness and being complete objective I would personally grade it in the C-/D+ range because there was at least some effort put forth, but not much else. For the rest of the answer, I'd submit it to a professional writer for a more formal critique. Bottom line - it's just not 'grabbing' the audience. You have a ways to go to get there.

Are you not trying to be an authority? So then what is your purpose for writing the article and trying to divert membership to your site? After all - if you're not an authority how would you be able to monetize your site?

May I make a suggestion... before you continue down the path of "monetizing" your cigar knowledge - watch the movie "Jiro Dreams of Sushi" (it's currently running on Netflix). Jiro Ono should be an inspiration to you - he created a 10-seat, sushi-only restaurant inauspiciously located in a Tokyo subway station and has been awarded a prestigious three-star Michelin Guide rating. His story can be used to inspire success for anyone doing anything. Listen to Jiro's suggestions about being successful. Study it - understand it - and you will have success...

You, personally, really need to make it past the first thing required of apprentices. Can you commit yourself to squeezing the towels pulled from the boiling water before you move on in your success journey? [HINT: Jiro's apprentices understand and gladly squeeze scalding hot towels to gain the knowledge Jiro has. They also understand it would be completely foolish to set up a sushi shop next door and ask Jiro's customers to come to their restaurant]
    Last edited by ggiese; 11-18-2013 at 08:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post
    So ask yourself - is this about YOU or is this about the cigar smoking community? Because, quite frankly, if it's about the cigar smoking community you would not be posting links to your website trying to draw people away from an established cigar discussion community.
    Not trying to argue, but in your profile area you are allowed to post a link to your own personal website.

Look guys, I'm not trying to stir up trouble ok? I'm just following the lesson plan of a successful marketer. I don't like posting links to my site on other sites but it says to do it and I want to make it work.

If it offends everyone so much, I'll just make my exit now.

Cabaiguan after breakfast.
    El Cobre after dinner.

Both really good, but I'm concerned I didn't smoke them properly.
    Maybe you need to read my article then.

Not trying to argue, but in your profile area you are allowed to post a link to your own personal website.

Look guys, I'm not trying to stir up trouble ok? I'm just following the lesson plan of a successful marketer. I don't like posting links to my site on other sites but it says to do it and I want to make it work.

Offended? Nahh.... Stick around - don't get all butt hurt. It's okay...

However - worried about you because you seem to have been led a bit astray? Uh - yeah...

I don't know who this "successful marketer" is, but I suspect he's likely "successful" because he's selling his "formula" for success (and it has something to do with "SEO"). And - if you bought his plan - congrats. He's even more successful.

Think about it - most (95%+) of his "students" will not be as "successful" as he is. Why is that? Did they not follow his "formula" for success? Or - did they not have the requisite skills needed to be successful? I would argue that you can have the best "plan" ("formula") in the world - but if you personally don't have the necessary skills to execute it, the plan is not worth the paper it's printed on.

Follow my FREE advice (yep - that's right - best deal you're gonna get - it's absolutely completely free with no charge - all you gotta do is invest a coupla dollars to rent a video)... Watch and absorb "Jiro Dreams of Sushi". I will tell you it will be hard to watch because it's Japanese with English subtitles - but the success story of Jiro Ono is where your head needs to be if you want to be successful. See if you pick up anything worthwhile in that story (I know - what does Sushi have with success... But hang in there - the message is clear). If you come back to tell me how "boring" his story is - or you don't "get it" - you really don't have what it takes to be an entrepeneur...
    Last edited by ggiese; 11-18-2013 at 12:20 PM.

Blog Entries

How can you not expect some flack for what you're doing. It's really pretty simple. What you are trying to do for $$, the membership of this community gives away freely. That's kinda what this place is about.

wow... quite the discussion going on over here. Here i was thinking i was going to get to see some good smokes that people were having for the day and instead there was a salesman trying to get people over to his site. i personally think that if you feel the need to explain yourself that much, you are up to something.

and on that note... this site has more than enough taste, experence and advise for any level of smoker.

Had a Macanudo Maduro today.

Love this one ! Will pick up more of these !

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post
    Offended? Nahh.... Stick around - don't get all butt hurt. It's okay...

However - worried about you because you seem to have been led a bit astray? Uh - yeah...

I don't know who this "successful marketer" is, but I suspect he's likely "successful" because he's selling his "formula" for success (and it has something to do with "SEO"). And - if you bought his plan - congrats. He's even more successful.

Think about it - most (95%+) of his "students" will not be as "successful" as he is. Why is that? Did they not follow his "formula" for success? Or - did they not have the requisite skills needed to be successful? I would argue that you can have the best "plan" ("formula") in the world - but if you personally don't have the necessary skills to execute it, the plan is not worth the paper it's printed on.
    I will stick around. I'm not offended or anything. I just don't want anyone to think I'm trying to stir up trouble.

I agree with you on marketer part. I thought really hard about what you are saying before I signed up. I was really reluctant to. So far I have learned some marketing tools that I'm not sure how I would have found out otherwise. But I definitely know what you mean about the 95% probably won't be as successful. I thought I would try it and see.

But anyway, I don't wanna take up anymore space in this thread about this issue. I'm happy to be aboard and want to learn more and if I have anything to contribute I would be more than happy to.

And I will check out the movie you suggested. Thanks for the recommendation.

I did sign up because it was discussed in the program, but I do want to join multiple cigar forums and read and learn more.

So I'm back at work as of yesterday. During my two weeks off for my annual hunting trip I managed to smoke quite a few cigars. At least one a day, which for me is a lot. I even snuck two a day in a couple times. Here's some of what I smoked:

- AF 8-5-8 Maduro/Natural/Sungrown
    - RP Vintage 1990
    - Padron 3000 Maduro Robusto
    - Padron 3000 Lonsdale
    - Padron 1926 (forget what number they are but is from that split with Will)
    - RyJ Churchill
    - Partagas Series D No.4
    - Cuban Stock Royal Selection
    - Monte Cristo #4
    - CAO Brazillia Maduro
    - Te-Amo #4
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

Quote Originally Posted by CptnBlues63 View Post
    - Padron 1926 (forget what number they are but is from that split with Will)
    - CAO Brazillia Maduro
    What did you think of these two sticks ? I've been wanting to pick both of these up, just didn't wanna spend the coin on the first one.

What are their flavors like ?

2 a day is my limit. Anymore and I don't feel so well.

I found that out about a month ago.

Blog Entries

I had an improperly selected, marginally lit and completely incorrectly smoked PLPC with my morning coffee.

Angry

What did you think of these two sticks ? I've been wanting to pick both of these up, just didn't wanna spend the coin on the first one.

What are their flavors like ?

2 a day is my limit. Anymore and I don't feel so well.

I found that out about a month ago.
    Wow... Just wow... I would have to say - consistently the Padron 1926 (particularly the Maduro) is hands down one of the best cigars you're going to smoke in the "more reasonable" price range (excluding the more ungodly expensive, impossible to find cigars).

I'm not quite sure what your effort is focused on with this cigar smoking venture. Perhaps we need some clarification. In my view, if your effort is going to be to be a SME of less than $5.00 cigars - I believe you'll find the market is completely flooded with "experts" and competition will be very tight. If your desire is to be considered an "authority" on cigar smoking and you don't want to spend the "coin", you may want to consider putting your efforts towards a different venture.

Now - if you REALLY want a smoking thrill pick up some Davidoff's (I recommend the Maduro R and the Anniversario #1). Smoke a Rocky Patel Edge - and then smoke the Davidoff Maduro R. Compare and contrast to get a sense of the differences between the two and why it would be more "coin" for the Maduro R. That would be a worthwhile exercise on your quest...

Thread Information