Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Humidor humidity constantly on the rise...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreekTitan View Post
    C'mon man, this ain't rocket science. Maybe you should just buy one cigar at a time, and fill your humidor with peanuts. No humidification necessary.
    I really hate to disagree, however, I probably concentrate more on the humidity of my nuts than I do my cigars.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stoopy View Post
    Just get some heartfelt beads, throw them in the humidor with cigars, and spray them with a little distilled water when most of them turn white. Don't even need to look at the hydrometer.
    Seriously the beads work great.
    Don't spray your cigars until most of them turn white. The beads, Sir Stoopy is referring to the beads, man.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    I really hate to disagree, however, I probably concentrate more on the humidity of my nuts than I do my cigars.
    I, as well, probably concentrate more on the humidity of Jamie's nuts than I do my cigars.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by kingbeefy View Post
    Don't spray your cigars until most of them turn white. The beads, Sir Stoopy is referring to the beads, man.
    I knew I was doing something wrong.

Blog Entries

I usually just soak my beads thoroughly, then sprinkle them all over my cigars like sugar sprinkles over tasty treats.

I meant the kind of peanuts you eat. Desktop humidors could make a nice little snack dispenser if you just can't figure out how to keep your cigars stored.

Blog Entries

I meant the kind of peanuts you eat. Desktop humidors could make a nice little snack dispenser if you just can't figure out how to keep your cigars stored.
    Um, so was I. I mean, who likes a nut in a soggy shell?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kingbeefy View Post
    I, as well, probably concentrate more on the humidity of Jamie's nuts than I do my cigars.
    Thank you. Properly humidified nuts produce a wonderful cracking sound when opened. Soggy nuts only sound like stepping on a slug.

You sir, have never had a boiled peanut then. Pretty big deal here in the South, and darn tasty at that.

Blog Entries

You sir, have never had a boiled peanut then. Pretty big deal here in the South, and darn tasty at that.
    No, I have not had a boiled peanut. I'm certain they are wonderful, however, I cannot imagine giving up that oh so satisfying crunch when the shells break.

Do the soggy shells work as well for polishing a hardwood floor as the crunchy ones do?

Salted, roasted in the shell peanuts is my "fat-ass-is-parked-in-the-recliner-watching-football" foods. In fact, I'm thinking seriously of trying to grow some peanuts next year.

Blog Entries

I love the smell of a good thread derailment
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

No, I have not had a boiled peanut. I'm certain they are wonderful, however, I cannot imagine giving up that oh so satisfying crunch when the shells break.

Do the soggy shells work as well for polishing a hardwood floor as the crunchy ones do?

Salted, roasted in the shell peanuts is my "fat-ass-is-parked-in-the-recliner-watching-football" foods. In fact, I'm thinking seriously of trying to grow some peanuts next year.
    Salted, roasted in the shell with a beer is still best. However, take a bunch of raw peanuts and boil them for a few hours in some really salty water. (I use my turkey fryer.) Eat while hot, and serve with some spiked hot apple cider. I always do this a couple times during colder weather. Mmmm Mmmm good!

Blog Entries

Boy TGT, that sounds very interesting. I'll seriously consider giving that a try. I'm not sure I've seen any "raw" peanuts for sale in my area, but then again, I've never looked for them. Are they readily available in your area? Are they available all year? Do you think they'd hold up in shipping?

Thumbs up

Lovely to see this has stayed on topic then.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Owen_ View Post
    Lovely to see this has stayed on topic then.
    Trust me, it's better this way.

the humidor has sat at 79RH now for 3 days, will this drop to around 70RH with around 15 sticks added or should i just buy 65% beads ?

Boy TGT, that sounds very interesting. I'll seriously consider giving that a try. I'm not sure I've seen any "raw" peanuts for sale in my area, but then again, I've never looked for them. Are they readily available in your area? Are they available all year? Do you think they'd hold up in shipping?
    Every grocery store around me sells them. Here, they're in bags, usually on the bottom shelf with other nuts usually used for baking etc. They are not typically with the roasted nuts which are usually in the chip and soda aisle.

They are available all year, and we'll have to see if they ship well.

the humidor has sat at 79RH now for 3 days, will this drop to around 70RH with around 15 sticks added or should i just buy 65% beads ?
    Ugh. You started this thread, you should read it.

Blog Entries

Ugh. You started this thread, you should read it.
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

I NEVER store peanuts in the shell in my humidor. How gauche!

Blog Entries

If the 15 sticks do not cause it to drop, try 6oz of peanuts in the shell. If it's still too high, switch to boiled peanuts as GT suggested. You will find them on the bottom shelf at your local grocer, not on the chip and cola aisle, but on some other aisle. If this doesn't work, eat the nuts, throw cigars in the trash, burn the humidor, purchase everything new again, and start over. I repeated this entire cycle 3 times when I started before I was to get the humidity stabilized in my humidor.

It's just gonna come down to how bad you really want it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thread Information