Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does my humidor really suck this bad?

1. Default Does my humidor really suck this bad?

Hi all,

I've had this humidor for about a month now.

I had it seasoned, it was holding ~68% RH for awhile. I noticed the humidifier puck it came with seemed dry every time I checked it, so I felt like I was always adding fluid. I have about 50 sticks in there and I thought I'd give the Boveda system a try.

I bought a 12-pack of 72% Boveda packets and started out with 3 packets in the humidor.

I'm now up to 7 packets and my RH is only 62%....

Granted I'm sure it's dry in my house, but does the seal on my humidor suck that bad? I mean what could I be doing wrong? Take the packet out of the plastic wrapper and plop it down in the humidifier, right?

Please help! Should I buy some aquarium sealant (I heard it doesn't give off gasses that regular silicone sealant does so it's safe for cigars?) and go to town inside my humidor? Should I get some sort of really thin seal to line the humidor's door with?

If you sprinkle when you tinkle, be sweet and wipe the seat.

Not sure if that helped, but I tried.

Blog Entries

Actually, I had an answer typed up, but I just can't tell what's going on with your stock pic, and that description.
    Can you verify if all the glass seals correctly? How dry is it where you live? Does 50 cigars fill that thing up? Do you think your humidification device is large enough to handle the volume? Do you have extra cedar from boxes filling up any dead space? Is your hygrometer calibrated correctly? How are your cigars smoking? What kind of cigars do you like? How long have you been smoking?
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

The real question is this:

If you had to take a piss REAL bad, would you just stop at the first house you saw, burst through the door and then piss all over the floor without inquiring as to where the facilities were?

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by illilli View Post
    The real question is this:

If youhad to take a piss REAL bad, would you just stop at the first house you saw, burst through the door and then piss all over the floor without inquiring as to where the facilities were?
    Actually I would piss on the front door without opening It....

I have a humidor with a similar setup. Took me a while to stabilize the rH - but it sits rock solid at 68 now. When I notice the rah starting to drop - I spritz the beads. Been working great for years.

Don't know if your's is too new or is just a cheap humidor with a bad seal. There's no way on our end of knowing.

Good luck.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cigarsarge View Post
    Actually I would piss on the front door without opening It....
    I knew I smelled something on my porch.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post
    I have a humidor with a similar setup. Took me a while to stabilize the rH - but it sits rock solid at 68 now. When I notice the rah starting to drop - I spritz the beads. Been working great for years.

Don't know if your's is too new or is just a cheap humidor with a bad seal. There's no way on our end of knowing.

Good luck.
    In my limited experience I would agree that if it is new it will be hard to tell. It can take a while for it to stabilize. Give it some time and if you are in the 60's you have nothing to be concerned about anyway.

9. Default

I have a variety of different sticks in there right now - about 50 cigars total. CAO Flatheads, Olivias, Victor Sinclairs, Montecristos, Royal Jamacians, etc. The last few I've smoked seem to be a harsher burn - could feel it in the back of my throat, which is why I'm concerned about the RH. I've been smoking cigars regularly for about a year now. The previous humidor I had was just a little 30 stick humidor and I kept it right at 68-70%.

Last night I put my digital hygrometer into a ziplock bag with one of the Boveda 72% packets and the hygrometer spiked right up to 73% so I know it's calibrated. I then took the hygrometer out of the bag and let it sit for awhile - it's about 40% RH in my house.

I think my main problem is that the plexiglass panels are NOT sealed in. The manufacturer used the same technique as how the backings of picture frames are - little nubs twist over the backing to hold it in place. It's just "sitting" in place.

I didn't realize that food grade sealant would be readily available at home depot / lowes so I'm going to head out there later today and try sealing the panels better to see if that works.

I did try the dollar bill test around the door and there was some good resistance all the way around so I guess the tongue/lip on the door is OK. It doesn't necessarily make a "whoosh" sound when it closes, but this is only my 2nd humidor and the first one didn't make that noise either.

Quote Originally Posted by meissen View Post
    I have a variety of different sticks in there right now - about 50 cigars total. CAO Flatheads, Olivias, Victor Sinclairs, Montecristos, Royal Jamacians, etc. The last few I've smoked seem to be a harsher burn - could feel it in the back of my throat, which is why I'm concerned about the RH. I've been smoking cigars regularly for about a year now. The previous humidor I had was just a little 30 stick humidor and I kept it right at 68-70%.

Last night I put my digital hygrometer into a ziplock bag with one of the Boveda 72% packets and the hygrometer spiked right up to 73% so I know it's calibrated. I then took the hygrometer out of the bag and let it sit for awhile - it's about 40% RH in my house.

I think my main problem is that the plexiglass panels are NOT sealed in. The manufacturer used the same technique as how the backings of picture frames are - little nubs twist over the backing to hold it in place. It's just "sitting" in place.

I didn't realize that food grade sealant would be readily available at home depot / lowes so I'm going to head out there later today and try sealing the panels better to see if that works.

I did try the dollar bill test around the door and there was some good resistance all the way around so I guess the tongue/lip on the door is OK. It doesn't necessarily make a "whoosh" sound when it closes, but this is only my 2nd humidor and the first one didn't make that noise either.
    "Harshness" kinda leads me to think that perhaps the cigars are drier than they should be. Not unusual, depending on where you bought them (some cigar retailers don't humidify well). I would charge up the beads (Boveda packs) - and just let them do their magic. If the cigars are too dry - you'll really need to keep an eye on the Boveda's because they will be sucked dry. It may take a few months for the humidity to stabilize - have patience. Once it is stabilized - it's easy to keep the humidity. 65-70% is ideal...

And if the "plexiglas" ("plexiglas - rather than glass?!?) panels are not sealed - damn you have a cheap humidor. I don't know that a trip to Lowe's is gonna fix that. You should consider spending a few more $$$ to get a humidor that's a bit more "solid".

"Harshness" kinda leads me to think that perhaps the cigars are drier than they should be. Not unusual, depending on where you bought them (some cigar retailers don't humidify well). I would charge up the beads (Boveda packs) - and just let them do their magic. If the cigars are too dry - you'll really need to keep an eye on the Boveda's because they will be sucked dry. It may take a few months for the humidity to stabilize - have patience. Once it is stabilized - it's easy to keep the humidity. 65-70% is ideal...

And if the "plexiglas" ("plexiglas - rather than glass?!?) panels are not sealed - damn you have a cheap humidor. I don't know that a trip to Lowe's is gonna fix that. You should consider spending a few more $$$ to get a humidor that's a bit more "solid".
    I totally agree with George. Charge them and let them be for awhile. I would put a digital hygrometer where I could read it through the glass if after charged beads are in there you see no change get a good tupperdore that seals tight and try that. Your humidor may be leaking more humidity than you think. Winter around my house it very dry. Hope you get this taken care of very soon. The longer the sticks stay under humidified the less flavors they will have. Keep us informed.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2
    May your ashes be long and your smoke be plentiful...

12. Default

I'm not sure what you guys are talking about charging the Boveda packets? I'm not talking about the typical crystal beads.

I'm talking about these -

And yeah - it's definitely a cheap humidor. Was only $70 or so on eBay. Supposed to hold 75-125 sticks.

I'm not sure what you guys are talking about charging the Boveda packets? I'm not talking about the typical crystal beads.

And yeah - it's definitely a cheap humidor. Was only $70 or so on eBay. Supposed to hold 75-125 sticks.
    I have never personally used Boveda packs but I think you have to charge them with distilled water also. I may be wrong though...usually I am.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2
    May your ashes be long and your smoke be plentiful...

I wasn't sure of the Boveda packs you were using could be recharged (I have some old ones that have a gell that can be rehydrated). If you're using those disposable packs - toss 'em now! You'll spend a fortune trying to keep up with those. You're much better (for the time being) just getting the el cheapo humidifier and just add distilled water.

Eventually you'll want to get beads...

And - hate to tell you - spend more than $50 on a good humidor otherwise it might as well have been made out of cardboard...

If it was my humidor I would seal the glass in with food grade caulking then get a decent humidification system.

the humi pack you showed is what I use to ship cigars with one time use.
    Pick up one of the humi jars for around $10.
    lightly wipe down the wood with distilled water then put in the Jar let it sit for a few days to stabilize.
    designated whipping boy for the grammar police
    Just run everything threw a spell checker.

Quote Originally Posted by Mangyrat View Post
    If it was my humidor I would seal the glass in with food grade caulking then get a decent humidification system.

lightly wipe down the wood with distilled water then put in the Jar let it sit for a few days to stabilize.
    I dunno... There's something fundamentally wrong with picking up a brand new humidor and the first thing you need to do is fix the seals with "food grade caulking"... It sickens me to hear that - kinda like someone purchasing a knock-off Lamborghini and wondering what needs to be done to get Lamborghini performance.

Bottom line - When the humidor costs far less than the cigars it's storing - I'd say it was time to reevaluate the cigar storage situation. I'm not suggesting you need an ungodly expensive humidor, but for a few dollars more you can pick up a decent humidor (similar looking) with real glass and solid seals.

Look - smoking cigars is not like smoking cigarettes. I don't smoke crap, and I really enjoy cigars that are "properly" aged. I can't imagine a $50 humidor will help me to accomplish that. If you can't afford a decent humidor - Unless you like smoking Backwoods or Swisher Sweets - just buying a box to drop cigars in should not be the goal.

Save up for a better quality humidor. Put the cigars in a Tupperware container in the interim. The seal is awesome and it will better protect your investment than a $50 eBay special.

17. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Mangyrat View Post

Really? These are supposed to be the "revolutionary" new humidification method? All I see on YouTube and cigar blogs is how this Boveda is the new best thing since sliced bread and the packets last 2 months?

I dunno... There's something fundamentally wrong with picking up a brand new humidor and the first thing you need to do is fix the seals with "food grade caulking"... It sickens me to hear that - kinda like someone purchasing a knock-off Lamborghini and wondering what needs to be done to get Lamborghini performance.

Bottom line - When the humidor costs far less than the cigars it's storing - I'd say it was time to reevaluate the cigar storage situation. I'm not suggesting you need an ungodly expensive humidor, but for a few dollars more you can pick up a decent humidor (similar looking) with real glass and solid seals.

Look - smoking cigars is not like smoking cigarettes. I don't smoke crap, and I really enjoy cigars that are "properly" aged. I can't imagine a $50 humidor will help me to accomplish that. If you can't afford a decent humidor - Unless you like smoking Backwoods or Swisher Sweets - just buying a box to drop cigars in should not be the goal.

Save up for a better quality humidor. Put the cigars in a Tupperware container in the interim. The seal is awesome and it will better protect your investment than a $50 eBay special.
    I hear you - unfortunately, I just learned it the hard way. My previous humidor was only $30 or so, so when I saw that I could get this one for less than $100 I bought it thinking it was a huge upgrade. The humidor was on Amazon and had a lot of good reviews, so I went for it.

Tried some scotch tape around the plexiglass and the bottom and it helped a little bit but it's only at 65% RH. Will have to get the food grade sealant and try to really seal it up. If it works, I'll still be happy with the purchase. I don't mind having to do a little bit of elbow grease to save some coin.

Blog Entries

Wait a minute. Why is this in the wrong forum?
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

19. Default

No ofense but that is a cheap humidor. I have some cheap ones too but I have some cheap ones that are amazing quality for the $.
    The older I get ,the better I was

Never been a big fan of glass humidors. The wood inside of a humidor absorbs water and buffers the moisture. If you're absolutely set on trying to keep it wrap the whole humidor in a plastic trash bag and see if the humidity stabilizes in a week or so. If it does you have a leaky humidor. Take the cigars out and leave the humidor in the trash bag.

Thread Information