Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I have had enough of this %#&@& winter.

Blog Entries

Default I have had enough of this %#&@& winter.

Enough snow.
    Enough cold.
    Enough freezing rain.
    Enough 'Polar Vortex'

That is all.

What are all those things?

I think there was some ice on my roof a couple weeks ago... Is it anything like that?

It will pass soon enough!
    "Keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious.....And curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney

Blog Entries

I'll take cold. I'll take snow. What is pissing me off is this stupid fucking "rain" on top of everything for a day making a sloppy shitty muddy frozen shithole of a yard.
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

I'm with Craig - snow one day, subzero temps the next. Bring me some 80 degree weather, please...

Blog Entries

Ya'll could send some this way. We've been stuck in the mid-40's for the highs lately. The ski resort here has really been hurting for tourism.

For me, I'd be happy with 40 degree days in the summers. I need me some cold.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Quote Originally Posted by mrtr33 View Post
    Ya'll could send some this way. We've been stuck in the mid-40's for the highs lately. The ski resort here has really been hurting for tourism.

For me, I'd be happy with 40 degree days in the summers. I need me some cold.
    I'd be thrilled with 40's right now...

I gotta say - living in this weather does toughen you up. A few years back I went to Orlando in December. It was 65 in the evening - refreshing to me. The Orlando-ites were all "freezing". Was rather comical seeing them wear winter coats while I was in a long sleeve shirt...

So what really sucks for me with this weather is feeding the birds. That's right - you heard me - feeding the birds. You see, while out shopping once I picked up a seed sack (thistle seeds) to attract a few finches by the house. Momma thought I was outta my mind until the Golden Finches started showing up. Lots of Golden Finches.... once momma saw that birds do come where food is (she thought I was insane because she did not believe birds could sniff out a sack of seeds), she has become St. Francis Assisi reincarnate. We now have a dozen bird feeders around the house which need to be filled everyday. And nothing better than filling those when it's -15 with a 30 mph wind and 2 feet of blowing/drifting snow because momma does not want to see the birdies starve...
    Last edited by ggiese; 01-06-2014 at 07:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by craig View Post
    Enough snow.
    Enough cold.
    Enough freezing rain.
    Enough 'Polar Vortex'

That is all.
    What you said X 2

It's been below -30 (not including the windchill) for most of the last two weeks. I went to Saskatoon on the 27th and it rained the day before and it was blizzard conditions when I left. I couldn't see pavement the first 75 km's (That's about 45 miles to you US folks) of the trip. I did drive out of the blizzard half way to Edmonton. The rest of the trip was uneventful with sporadic snow and 30 mph wind gusts.

This past Sat/Sun it was -45 with the windchill here at home.

So much for this "global warming" theory. I figured those alarmists had their heads up their collective asses 'cause I ain't seen no stinking global warming around here!

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post
    I'd be thrilled with 40's right now...

I gotta say - living in this weather does toughen you up. A few years back I went to Orlando in December. It was 65 in the evening - refreshing to me. The Orlando-ites were all "freezing". Was rather comical seeing them wear winter coats while I was in a long sleeve shirt...
    The same thing happened in Vegas when the wife and I went a few years back. Almost the same temps too! We're in shorts and t-shirts and the locals are wearing parkas and toques (I think you folks down south call them "beanies").
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

Blog Entries

<sigh> 'Global warming' is going to have an impact - but gradually. What people don't seem to get is that the main impact of global warming will be increased variance in weather - more extreme weather more often - again, so gradually that it is easy to dismiss within one's own lifetime of experience.

Kinda reminds me of all the people who were wondering about ozone depletion in the upper atmosphere in the 1970's. The skin cancer rates are showing up now, decades later, but who could say that with certainty back then?

I remember reviewing greenhouse gas research 35 years ago when I worked in meteorology at Environment Canada - we didn't call it 'global warming' back then, but the data were already pretty well-known to the scientific community - and all science is theory, by definition. What to do about it is politics, of course.

Friggin' plow just came. So much for a relaxing post-lunch cigar.:-(
    Last edited by craig; 01-06-2014 at 01:09 PM.

I've gone through 4x 20lb propane tanks on my patio heater (in the garage) just so I can enjoy a cigar in the evening. I don't think I used that much all of last year.

I am done with it also. Been feedin the birds too. Shoveling snow is not what this old man calls a good time any more. Yeah so much for the Global Warming Theory.lol
    May your ashes be long and your smoke be plentiful...

Quote Originally Posted by BowhuntnHoosier View Post
    ...snip... Yeah so much for the Global Warming Theory.lol
    That is why they call it "Climate change" now
    "Keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious.....And curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney

Blog Entries

Just so I can get a non-political point to "climate change" in, about 80% of the countries in the world do about 98% of the harm.

If you have to take a piss real bad and there's a huge ocean in front of you, it doesn't make sense to piss in your pants.

Anyway, according to history, climate changes. According to science, man impacts climate change. How much of which is what and what is which?

Cigar Science History states clearly, "...when the weather is nice enough to enjoy a cigar out of doors, climate good. Otherwise, bad."

14. Default

Who caused the last ice age? Indians ?
    The older I get ,the better I was

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kevin7 View Post
    Duh, Indian farts!

Quote Originally Posted by kevin7 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by illilli View Post
    Duh, Indian farts!
    LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor71 View Post
    I've gone through 4x 20lb propane tanks on my patio heater (in the garage) just so I can enjoy a cigar in the evening. I don't think I used that much all of last year.
    I've gone through two so far in my 18' trailer. I suspect you're heating a much larger space than I am and therefore the big difference. FWIW, I had only emptied one 20lb tank at this time last year.
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

Not your typical morning in the south.

Poor fishies look cold too.

Schools are closed today due to the weather. No precipitation mind you, just temp. I know to a lot of you guys 3 deg. with a wind chill of about -15 deg. is nothing. But down here, it's a pretty big deal.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreekTitan View Post
    Not your typical morning in the south.

Poor fishies look cold too.

Schools are closed today due to the weather. No precipitation mind you, just temp. I know to a lot of you guys 3 deg. with a wind chill of about -15 deg. is nothing. But down here, it's a pretty big deal.
    Yep, it was 1 in Knoxville this morning. My soft, supple skin just isn't cut out for this.

20. Default

Supposed to get down to 33 degrees tonight.

Thread Information