Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: I have had enough of this %#&@& winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor71 View Post
    It absolutely amazes me some of the driving in the Greater Toronto area. You can try to leave space between the car in front and sure enough, someone that has somewhere to be that's verrrrrry important pulls in front of you. For your info CptnBlues63, hwy 400 here is like the stretch of hwy2 between Red Deer and Calgary just add 4 more lanes and 10x the number of vehicles.
    I've driven on it and it's not a great place to be driving anything, least of all a fully loaded semi!

When I was 18, I got a job driving a pick up and delivery truck. I hauled oxygen/acetylene and other gases around. If you're familiar, it was an International 1600 (3 ton truck like they used to use for hauling grain) truck.

So one spring day I'm driving back to my shop and am approaching the intersection where I need to turn left that had no separate left turn lane. It's slushy, slippery and nasty out so I have plenty of safe stopping distance between me and the car in front of me. At the very last second, this douche in the next lane over to the right decides he has to make a left here and yanks into my safe stopping distance effectively removing it. It follows logically I rear ended him.

This happened right in front of a gas station I frequented for cigs and gas and it just so happened that at the time of the accident, two guys I knew reasonably well were standing outside pumping gas and saw everything that happened because they recognized my truck, and me, and were waiting for me to stop so they could wave "hi" at me (they told me this a few minutes later).

I tried fighting this in court. The judge at traffic court even said to me, "You didn't leave a big enough stopping distance" I said, "I beg to differ your honor, I have two eye-witnesses right here who saw everything including the fact that I had a safe following/stopping distance between me and the vehicle in front of me and that this fellow here (pointing at him) took it away from me when he slammed in there at the last second without even shoulder checking or signaling his intent."

His response, "You hit him from behind, you're 100% at fault"

I've never been so pissed in my life.

When the wife and I are on vacation with the 24' travel trailer behind us, I spend a lot of time on freeways slowing down to leave a safe space in front of me. We get lots of honks and get flipped off frequently but we both just smile and wave........
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

Get a dash cam.
    designated whipping boy for the grammar police
    Just run everything threw a spell checker.

Quote Originally Posted by Mangyrat View Post
    Get a dash cam.
    You wouldn't have thought it would be necessary with two independent witnesses and in light of the fact that I them and the judge still told me "too bad for you" I suspect a video still wouldn't have swayed him either.

I have been thinking about getting a dash cam after watching a video on YouTube a friend sent me a link to. Apparently it's big business in some places for scam artists to pull in front of an unsuspecting victim on a freeway and stop suddenly causing a rear-end accident. My friend told me, they then offer you the option to give them cash to not report the accident.

So the video was a guy with a dash cam. A car pulls in front of him on the freeway and slams on it's breaks but the dude with the dash cam stops in time. The scam artist then backs up and bumps into the car with the dash cam. Both drivers get out of the car and dude with the dash cam points it out to scam artist. I'm assuming he told the guy, "No, I'd rather take this one to the insurance companies" but who knows the end result. All I do know is, he should have reported it to the police and provided them with a copy.
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

Blog Entries

I've had enough of hearing Pennsylvanians continually bitch about snow and cold temperatures.
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

I'm loving this winter. We still have time for a few more snow events and I am hoping that they run out of salt.

Sadly, people do dumb and dangerous things in the snow, so I am sorry about the bad things that happen and for when people lose their power or have a freak accident.

But, if we lived in the olden days near the mountains or up in like Minnesota this current time, we'd just think nothing of it at all. Maybe I should move north. I actually did live in Minnesota for a bit as a kid and I have to tell you...I loved it; polka music and all.

I actually want to do a winter in the Antartic. It's like a test of your endurance and it could be very dangerous.

Blog Entries

I've had enough of hearing Pennsylvanians
    continually bitch about snow and cold
    temperatures.
    It is kinda like when people say, "Is it hot enough for ya?" when it is in the high 90's and humid.

All I know is road construction season started here today. They are doing new water mains and sewers in my neighbourhood. .

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by craig View Post
    It is kinda like when people say, "Is it hot enough for ya?" when it is in the high 90's and humid.

All I know is road construction season started here today. They are doing new water mains and sewers in my neighbourhood. .
    Yeah.

I love winter. I love it. I realized today that I welcome spring, just to not hear people bitch about winter so much. Some start in December.

BUT, I try and not bitch about any season. It seems that PA is at the perfect place to experience every season to its fullest.
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Thread Information