Thread: Humidity problems.

Default Humidity problems.

I just moved from Florida to Nevada. i know that the weather is way dryer here but should that have a major effect on my humidor after its already seasoned? I have 2 humidors. one is a desktop 100 and its usually around 71% and now its at 62%. and i have a desktop 150 and its stuck at about 57% the 150 had a sponge (100) and a gel (50) and only about 35 sticks in it and the other has a gel (100) and its only got about 25 sticks. any ideas of ways to fix these?

Blog Entries

Of course, I have an idea. It's the same one that we always have during this type of situation. Get the Humidity Beads and throw the Gels away in the trash where they belong. I don't care where you live, the beads are not prejudice about Florida humidity versus Colorado humidity (Although, I wonder how altitude affects things?) Oh, but it's Nevada...a place where it is DRY, DRY, DRY. It seems very reasonable to me that the Gels aren't working as well there.

Honestly, my humidor experiences this type of change every year during winter and then the humid summer. I have to wet my beads a lot during the winter and a little during the summer. If I had Gel, I bet it would be a lot worse.

ill look into the beads. thanks

In my opinion - while gels are fairly easy to store, they're a pain in the a$$ to keep stable. Beads do a MUCH better job.

Personally - when it SO dry I need to keep spritzing the beads - I end up pulling the beads and just sticking a few of those el-cheapo florist foam black plastic cigar humidifiers you can pick up everywhere. I load them up (I usually put at least 2, depending on the size of the humidor) with distilled water and keep them moist until the humidity stabilizes. It may take a couple of weeks to get it there, but once it does you should be good to go to replace the foam humidifiers with the beads and do your weekly spritzing to keep the humidity stable.

man searching around on this topic theres alot to it. The guy at the cigar shop sold me the humidor and said i dont need a hygrometer just the round plastic abbey humidity regulator is all I need. Fill it every 30 days with distilled water. Well the one i bought came with a humidity regulator and a hygrometer so hopefully it will work out. im in florida so I think thats good considering the humidity. I just wanna put cigars in this thing but the best thread I have found on seasoning takes two nights so gonna wait it out. I wanna do it right. I just hope the humidity will come down because it started at 100

Ive searched a bit but not able to find anything with this search engine relating to what I got. So instead of starting a new thread Ill just hijack this one

So I have calibrated my hygrometer and found it to be 15 % off(high). So Im gonna buy a new one. I did adjust the one I got but not very happy with it and not able to trust it. Buying a digital.

In the mean time My issue seems to be that by humidor is too wet. The humidity is too high (80%). So I took the regulator out (have the circle one from the shop gonna get 65 beads) and opened the box to let it dry and put the cigars into the opened box. My question for you all.

1- If i run high in the humidor and keep the cigars in it how long will i be good for? The new hygrometer will take 3-5 business days

2- is is better to do what im doing for this short time or should i keep the cigars out of the humidor for now? With the box opened the humidity came down to 72 but seems to be holding there.Im afraid if I close the box it will rise again.

Thanx Dan

Blog Entries

60-70, depends on what you like. I like 60-65, but all in all if you run too high you will get mold. 80 is too high, 72 is still slightly high, but obviously better. There is no reason to think you should keep your humidor closed unless you need to do so to regulate the humidity. If you can maintain 60-70 without the humidor, don't sweat it. Leave it open.

Quote Originally Posted by kingbeefy View Post
    60-70, depends on what you like. I like 60-65, but all in all if you run too high you will get mold. 80 is too high, 72 is still slightly high, but obviously better. There is no reason to think you should keep your humidor closed unless you need to do so to regulate the humidity. If you can maintain 60-70 without the humidor, don't sweat it. Leave it open.
    convinced that i have over wet my humidor. Gonna get this thing right here in a few days. i got a plan

well even though my thread got jacked... haha i guess i wasn't using it for a long time. so its fair. BUT good news is a few months ago, both of my humidors finally are working perfect! I wish i could say the same for one of my hydrometers... but oh well heres a pic of my big humi's hydrometer

Thread Information