Thread: Turkey hunters?

Default Turkey hunters?

Anyone turkey hunt here? I had a chance to take my youngest out last week.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	286 
Size:	102.0 KB 
ID:	3683
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Views:	209 
Size:	103.4 KB 
ID:	3682  
    Last edited by S.A.W.B.; 03-25-2014 at 09:31 PM.

Blog Entries

I have not gone turkey hunting in....I'm going to say....22 years.

Congrats!
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

I saw a flock of wild Eastern Turkeys this morning driving into work. I almost swerved over to take a picture. It was a big tom and about 15 hens. He was certainly going to be sending his genes into the future!

Quote Originally Posted by S.A.W.B. View Post
    Awesome!

I've hunted all kinds of waterfowl and upland game here in the great white north, but we don't have wild turkeys as far north as I live which is way too bad because I'd like to hunt (and eat) them. Those are some awesome looking birds and your daughter looks pretty happy and proud too.

I think it's awesome you get her out hunting. Here's hoping she continues to do so for the rest of her life. We need more women hunters!

My wife used to hunt but stopped when she moved up here with me. She blames it on our restrictive gun laws (which btw, haven't stopped me from owning a bunch) but I think she just lost the urge. My grandma was an avid hunter and did so up until the last couple years she was alive. While my grandpa was alive they used to go out for moose every year. The last year grandpa was able to hunt he told grandma she couldn't go with them for moose because the two seasons previous she had shot all the moose they brought home and he wanted to get his own "thank you very much"
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

Congrats! Good looking/eating birds you bagged.

I haven't gone for spring gobbler in 2 years, but I'm hoping to rectify that this year. The season in PA is from May 3rd - 31st.

Thanks for the nice complements guys. She is my youngest and loves to hunt. Wild turkey is some of the best eating there is. We hunt everything from Duck to squirell and eat wild game year round. The kids also raise pigs chickens and quail. I think hunting and homesteading is becoming lost in the generations. I don't allow my sons to deer or turkey hunt with a gun anymore. At least not until they kill one of each deer & turkey with a bow first. I'll follow up with some more pics if we take anymore.
    Another pic just for good measure.

Views:	263 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	3685

Thanks for the nice complements guys. She is my youngest and loves to hunt. Wild turkey is some of the best eating there is. We hunt everything from Duck to squirell and eat wild game year round. The kids also raise pigs chickens and quail. I think hunting and homesteading is becoming lost in the generations. I don't allow my sons to deer or turkey hunt with a gun anymore. At least not until they kill one of each deer & turkey with a bow first. I'll follow up with some more pics if we take anymore.
    Another pic just for good measure.

Views:	263 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	3685
    Damn! You just made me hungry!

The niece I mentioned lives on top of a mountain in north Idaho. Sis and bro-in-law home schooled all their kids and they all participated in raising animals. They've all hunted and all know how to slaughter and butcher an animal. Even the older daughter who's a real "girly girl" and is trying to become and actress/model. The younger niece, age 17, is the one that loves to hunt.

I hunted with a bow throughout most of the 80's and think it's a good skill to have. I started with a 65lb recurve with no sights and eventually bought a nice compound. But, I've always loved guns more than bows and eventually went back them.
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

Views:	286 
Size:	102.0 KB 
ID:	3683
    I live in Louisiana, where wild turkeys are plentiful, but for some reason, I've never hunted them... I absolutely LOVE hunting, and have hunted (and still do) every other type of game in my area: squirrel, rabbit, deer, duck, dove, hog, coon, etc., etc., etc... Don't know why I've never been turkey hunting, but I'm gonna have to try it next time turkey season comes around! Thank you, S.A.W.B., for giving me another wonderful excuse to hit the woods! Also, thanks for sharing! Looks like she really enjoyed the experience! I take youngens hunting/fishing every chance I get! Always so much more enjoyable and rewarding than going alone (if you can get them to put down the cell phones and video games long enough)...

Thread Information