Thread: Brisket

Default Brisket

Had the neighbors over to sample a new brisket rub. I just did a small flat but will be doing a whole packer this weekend

Rubbed and ready
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397616383.441096.jpg 
Views:	570 
Size:	87.7 KB 
ID:	3704

Getting there

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397616409.789686.jpg 
Views:	580 
Size:	74.7 KB 
ID:	3705

Time to eat

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397616427.639792.jpg 
Views:	597 
Size:	80.6 KB 
ID:	3706

Well done. A lot of people are scared to put brisket on the grill for fear of it drying out. Looks good.

Blog Entries

Looks awesome. The final frontier...brisket.
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Quote Originally Posted by S.A.W.B. View Post
    Well done. A lot of people are scared to put brisket on the grill for fear of it drying out. Looks good.
    230deg indirect low and slow in the BGE. Some cherry wood with a few pcs of mesquite thrown in. Super moist.

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor71 View Post
    Had the neighbors over to sample a new brisket rub. I just did a small flat but will be doing a whole packer this weekend
    That looked very yummy btw and I may have to do a brisket myself some time this summer just cause yours looked so good!

I've always been pretty much just a steak on the grill kind of guy but I'm trying very hard to expand my repertoire and learn how get better use out of my grill. I have to say, this thread has helped (and is continuing to help) improve my grilling.

Last year I invested in a good rotisserie and did one chicken and a couple rib roasts on it. I've also done a spatchcock chicken on the grill and learned how to make some reasonably decent BBQ chicken breasts (bone in) on the grill as well.

I'd really like to try a rib roast (have one in the deep freeze) with a good rub but so far I haven't been too pleased with the rub's I've been picking up at the store. What did you use for your brisket? If not store bought, is it a rub recipe you'd be willing to share? If yes, please, tell me!
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

Quote Originally Posted by CptnBlues63 View Post
    That looked very yummy btw and I may have to do a brisket myself some time this summer just cause yours looked so good!

I've always been pretty much just a steak on the grill kind of guy but I'm trying very hard to expand my repertoire and learn how get better use out of my grill. I have to say, this thread has helped (and is continuing to help) improve my grilling.

Last year I invested in a good rotisserie and did one chicken and a couple rib roasts on it. I've also done a spatchcock chicken on the grill and learned how to make some reasonably decent BBQ chicken breasts (bone in) on the grill as well.

I'd really like to try a rib roast (have one in the deep freeze) with a good rub but so far I haven't been too pleased with the rub's I've been picking up at the store. What did you use for your brisket? If not store bought, is it a rub recipe you'd be willing to share? If yes, please, tell me!
    I use the Cluck'N'Squeal products. They have a beef specific, low sodium rib and their all purpose chicken rub.

Blog Entries

I'm a bit intimidated by brisket. I may get balls enough to try one this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by kingbeefy View Post
    I'm a bit intimidated by brisket. I may get balls enough to try one this summer.
    They can be intimidating but the hardest part is not rushing the cooking process. Every brisket is different and the time in plateau can vary immensely. You are best to start early and place in a cooler wrapped in towels to maintain temp until guests arrive.

Blog Entries

I did a few pork butts last year and my first one this year and just couldn't get them up to shredding temp. They were all done but I kept having to slice them. They would hit the plateau and I would run out of time. The last one I did I started at 11pm on a Friday night, got up to tend to it through the night, and at 4pm Saturday I hit 200 internal temp. Shredded beautifully. I suppose I may go at the brisket similarly when I finally decide to tackle it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor71 View Post
    I use the Cluck'N'Squeal products. They have a beef specific, low sodium rib and their all purpose chicken rub.
    I'll keep my eyes open for that brand and give it a try if I can get my hands on it!
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

Blog Entries

Last Saturday was our 2nd annual invitational smokeoff at the house. This year's theme, brisket.

7 contestants showed up at varying times in the AM to get their rigs going (ranging between 4AM and 7:30 AM)
    Optional chicken, and spousal sides. Had about 30-40 people over for serving at 5:30.

Ya know, someone had to come in 7th, but I'll be damned if 7th wasn't delicious. Chicken sides ranged from mustard BBQ thighs, to 20# wings, and bacon wrapped drummies.

There was nothing served that wasn't spectacular.

Leading up to the event, I tested my skills with 2 briskets and honed my rub for the contest. I came in 5th, but was satisfied with the result.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4...y03c2VzRWJwOWM
    Last edited by badwhale; 07-28-2016 at 09:06 PM.

Uncle Tupelo

Quote Originally Posted by kingbeefy View Post
    I did a few pork butts last year and my first one this year and just couldn't get them up to shredding temp. They were all done but I kept having to slice them. They would hit the plateau and I would run out of time. The last one I did I started at 11pm on a Friday night, got up to tend to it through the night, and at 4pm Saturday I hit 200 internal temp. Shredded beautifully. I suppose I may go at the brisket similarly when I finally decide to tackle it.

I find that brining them, smoking them, then finishing them in a crock pot works wonders. The crock pot does the tenderizing. I use apple cider vinegar and brown sugar to get the sweet and sour balance right when it's shredding tender. Should already be salty enough from the brining.
    "some people are like slinkies, they're not really good for anything but they can bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs." –Unknown

"He did for bullshit what Stonehenge did for rocks." -Cecil Adams

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kenyth View Post
    I find that brining them, smoking them, then finishing them in a crock pot works wonders. The crock pot does the tenderizing. I use apple cider vinegar and brown sugar to get the sweet and sour balance right when it's shredding tender. Should already be salty enough from the brining.
    this if fucking blasphemy. LOL

I get good bendy over the fork brisket just from the smoker (with a crutch), but meets the fall apart test.

Uncle Tupelo

Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    this if fucking blasphemy. LOL

I get good bendy over the fork brisket just from the smoker (with a crutch), but meets the fall apart test.
    We were talking pulled pork butt man, not brisket. This is not recommended for beef, at all. I understand your incredulous reaction if you thought I was talking brisket. Blech!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    "some people are like slinkies, they're not really good for anything but they can bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs." –Unknown

Blog Entries

Lol!

Uncle Tupelo

I've not actually smoked a brisket. I've done a good prime rib on the rotisserie though! Yum!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Thread Information