Thread: Slowly Progressing...Requesting additional information and conversation

Default Slowly Progressing...Requesting additional information and conversation

All,

I have perused the site for a couple years now and have found much of your advice invaluable. After initially making the mistake of purchasing an Acid, I learned of my mistake from you all and got into the good stuff. I would say at this time I'm somewhere around a late beginner to a begining intermediate cigar smoker. I'm contemplating the purchase of a humidor this summer and even a couple of boxes. So for developing my tastes and guiding my choices, I wanted to say thank you all.

I still have a few things that I am not experienced at and I was wondering if you all could maybe shed some light on my situation. I have difficulty in picking out distinct flavors in my cigars. I can tell of something is full bodies or mild, I can distinguish between smoke that is thicker/chewy or smoke that is light/airy but I can't really get any individual flavors. It all tastes like tobacco to me. Some of them are much more enjoyable for me than others. Do you have any tips for this? Anything that has helped you over time or made the smoking experience more enjoyable?

Also, I know there are plenty of recommendation threads already out there, but I would like to list a few sticks that I like, and hope that you would be kind enough to maybe give me an additional recommendation. I have mostly smoked mild sticks. But would like to progress towards some medium to full bodies cigars.

I really enjoyed a CAO Gold Double Corona lately, and if I follow through on the humidor I will certainly buy a box.

Some additional sticks are as follows:
    Padṛn 3000
    Padṛn 2000
    Arturo Fuente Double Chateau (a bit too light, but very enjoyable)
    Olivia Serie V (double toro?)

I'm more of a fan of chewier thick smoke. I like maduros, but I believe that CAO Gold is a Connecticut correct? And that was delicious. My local tobacco shop is fairly small, but I can ask for things if need be. I don't trust the guy who works there. He always tells me how great the Acids are and I always reply, "Ehhhh maybe next time".

One last question, does size all that much aside from smoking time? It seems as if maybe it would slightly impact taste because of the ratios of filler leaves to wrappers and whatever else, but it seems to me like it really wouldn't make much of an impact. I'm a fan of bigger sticks.

Thank you all for your time reading this. I look forward to hearing from you all.

Very Respectfully,
    Fisk

Quote Originally Posted by Fisk72 View Post
    All,

I have perused the site for a couple years now and have found much of your advice invaluable. After initially making the mistake of purchasing an Acid, I learned of my mistake from you all and got into the good stuff. I would say at this time I'm somewhere around a late beginner to a begining intermediate cigar smoker. I'm contemplating the purchase of a humidor this summer and even a couple of boxes. So for developing my tastes and guiding my choices, I wanted to say thank you all.

I still have a few things that I am not experienced at and I was wondering if you all could maybe shed some light on my situation. I have difficulty in picking out distinct flavors in my cigars. I can tell of something is full bodies or mild, I can distinguish between smoke that is thicker/chewy or smoke that is light/airy but I can't really get any individual flavors. It all tastes like tobacco to me. Some of them are much more enjoyable for me than others. Do you have any tips for this? Anything that has helped you over time or made the smoking experience more enjoyable?

Also, I know there are plenty of recommendation threads already out there, but I would like to list a few sticks that I like, and hope that you would be kind enough to maybe give me an additional recommendation. I have mostly smoked mild sticks. But would like to progress towards some medium to full bodies cigars.

I really enjoyed a CAO Gold Double Corona lately, and if I follow through on the humidor I will certainly buy a box.

Some additional sticks are as follows:
    Padṛn 3000
    Padṛn 2000
    Arturo Fuente Double Chateau (a bit too light, but very enjoyable)
    Olivia Serie V (double toro?)

I'm more of a fan of chewier thick smoke. I like maduros, but I believe that CAO Gold is a Connecticut correct? And that was delicious. My local tobacco shop is fairly small, but I can ask for things if need be. I don't trust the guy who works there. He always tells me how great the Acids are and I always reply, "Ehhhh maybe next time".

One last question, does size all that much aside from smoking time? It seems as if maybe it would slightly impact taste because of the ratios of filler leaves to wrappers and whatever else, but it seems to me like it really wouldn't make much of an impact. I'm a fan of bigger sticks.

Thank you all for your time reading this. I look forward to hearing from you all.

Very Respectfully,
    Fisk

Hi and welcome to the forum!

I probably won't be able to answer all your questions but thought I'd reply because I too am "flavor challenged" and thought there was something wrong with me. It turns out, there really isn't.

Like you I can tell the difference between mild/medium/strong and smooth and creamy as vs "chewy" or "airy" smoke. After a conversation on here about the flavors topic (I couldn't find it using search) I discovered most cigar smokers don't have that refined a palate either and like and me, just smoke on the basis of "I like this cigar" or "I don't care for this cigar". So I wouldn't worry about it and smoke what you enjoy.

While attempting to find that other conversation about flavors I did find a thread started about cigar sizes and taste and it's here:

http://www.cigarsmokers.com/threads/...refined+palate

I'm a fan of all the cigars you mentioned. I really like the Oliva Series V line in Maduro and currently have both the Belicoso and Torpedo in my humidor. If you like medium with thicker, "chewier" smoke you may want to try the following:

- Rocky Patel The Edge
    - My Father Le Bijou 1922
    - Arturo Fuente Anejo
    - Camacho Corojo
    Last edited by CptnBlues63; 04-29-2014 at 09:24 AM. Reason: typo fix
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

Tasting a cigar is a contemplative process. Much like tasting anything (e.g. Food, wine, etc). I can discern flavor when I eat/drink something. In my case, it "popped" for me when someone challenged me to describe what I tasted in a single malt scotch. I tasted a citrusy flavor (kinda like an orange) along with some floral "smells" (notes/tones). It was an impression I got when I closed my eyes and really thought about what I was tasting.

Similarly with cigars. No always, but sometimes I pick up a leather kind of taste - or woodsy... Sometimes I do taste my impression of prunes, or plums (LFD chisels do that for me). I definitely taste spiciness quite often in the more full bodied cigars. Lighter cigars are much more subtle and really hard to describe. Of course you know - I've been told we did not buy a cigar because it tasted like prunes or chocolate... LOL

But I would not get hung up on it. Smoke what you enjoy and enjoy what you smoke!

Thread Information