Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Contest 2014: All about Mothers Back In The Day

Blog Entries

Post Contest 2014: All about Mothers Back In The Day

Contest 2014: All about Mothers Back In The Day

To enter the contest you will be required to share a memory, or a quote, or a video but something that tells a story of something you admired about this Mother or a memory that will always take you back. The person doesn't have to be your mother she just needs to be a person that did something redeemable or even funny that brings you back to a memorable time that you can share with the board.

Part two of the contest will require you to email, text, call what ever works for you a member of the board to tell the member about the contest. The member you contact needs to be a person that has not posted on the board in at least 3 months. All you have to do is list the name the member goes by on the board in the same post that your telling your story. There is no need to prove you did it.

The third part of this contest you will be required to pick a number between 000-999 and list that number in the same post. So your post will have the a shared memory of a woman actions that was endearing funny thoughtful you decide, a member of the board's aviator name that has not posted in 3 months or more and a number between 000-999.

On May 11 2014 the contest ends when the day ends eastern time. May 12, 2014 the CT. play 3 nightly drawing will be the number I use to determine the winner. The person closest to the number drawn on 5-12-2014 without going over is the winner of the contest. You can only enter once and you can not edit your post.

Your prize is an ashtray....:) Prometheus 2009 Limed Addition The red one new in the box I think I bought it 2011.

A twist to this contest is there was a member that was a little jealous when this ashtray was given to a another member as a gift. That member has not posted in a while. If you post his name in your entry and he enters the contest you will receive a prize. Not sure what it will be at this time.

Have fun guys! P.S. Only requirement to enter the contest is that you are a member of our board.
    Last edited by cinda; 05-10-2014 at 11:15 AM. Reason: spelling/rules/rules

http://www.cmt.com/videos/eric-churc...le-smoke.jhtml?

"Do this...go to Google and type in "Dumbass that can't take a hint"...notice the picture of a big feller in his Moms kitchen with a can of Wannabe RockStar on his man boob...Hey, that's you!" TheGreekTitan

May God grant us the wisdom to discover right, the will to

choose it, and the strength

to make it endure

Blog Entries

Cool

I am bumping this contest to remind you guys 4 more days to it closes. Nothing you say about you mom or some female in your life that you want to thank or wish her a happy mothers day and say something nice about her will be wrong. I hope people are not getting hung up on that part. I am thinking you just do not like the prize and I am getting sad that no one's entering. I am lucky though I am the only person that can say something this with out looking like a girl! giggles ok I done whining.

"Do this...go to Google and type in "Dumbass that can't take a hint"...notice the picture of a big feller in his Moms kitchen with a can of Wannabe RockStar on his man boob...Hey, that's you!" TheGreekTitan

to make it endure

Blog Entries

I will be whipping something up before it closes. I do need a new ashtray and I would love to have that one.

Thanks for the contest by the way.

Blog Entries

My mom passed away in May of 2006 from cancer. She couldn't have been much taller than 5' 1", but she was feisty, full of life, lots of personality, and was not to be messed with. She wasn't mean at all, she just never took much bullshit from anybody, my dad, sisters, and myslef included. :)

I know that this board generally refrains from religious discussions, but my favorite memory of my mom involves just that.

Her and my dad got into church a couple of years before she was diagnosed. I didn't grow up in a regular church attending home, but being in the Bible Belt, if anybody asked what we thought about Jesus we would have said, "We're for him". That's about as deep as we got.

When they did start going to church they went all in. They were there every Sunday Morning, Sunday evening, Wednesday evening, and helped with all the events. My dad still leads the music there and is their maintenance/handy man.

Now to my favorite memory. Seeing my mom, who always seemed to be such a strong willed, can do anything type of person being eaten away at by cancer was really difficult. As tough as it was for us to see, it had to be infinitely more difficult for her to be. After several years of fighting, going into remission, it returning, and a couple of surgeries it was evident she wasn't going to beat it. Her last surgery put her in a wheelchair that she never came back out of. When we knew she wasn't going to make it I started attenting church with them. When she was finally confined to the wheelchair my dad didn't fool with getting her in and out if it at church. It's a smaller country church where everybody knew her and loved her, so he would just wheel her up to the very front, next to where he and the pastor would stand, and she had the best seat in the house. One particular Sunday morning, while dad was leading us in a song, I happened to notice her singing. I had been going for a couple of weeks at this point, had seen her sing before, but this particular time the look on her face, broken down and bound to a wheelchair, was of peace and of joy more pure than any I haf seen before that or have seen since.

That was the last time she made it to church. A week later on Monday she passed away. I love her and miss her very much, but the memory of that last morning in church, and the peace she had has helped me find a peace about her going on home. I know she was very broken down and I know she isn't now. As much as I miss, I feel pretty good about that.

The other great lady in my life, my wife, was thoughtful enough to take my mom's Bible to church with is this morning for me to use instead of mine. I didn't know until we got there. I wouldn't have thought to take it, but she did and it was very nice to have it on my lap this morning.

That's my memory.

My number is 348, that is the month and year of her birth.

It may be late to PM someone, but I'm going to send one to paddy. He hasn't been active since I have been, but he was in the days I was lurking.

For the sake of convenience I will say it was paddy that was jealous over the ashtray.

Thanks again for the contest.

Blog Entries

Thanks for sharing, Brent.

Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

Nice job! :)

to make it endure

Blog Entries

Cinda, thanks for the contest.

I'm going to take a minute and give a story about my Mom's mother.

When I was a kid, my grandma lived up in Connecticut, and I kinda remember the house, but it's been a long time. Eventually, they moved her (Katherine) to Orwigsburg to an elderly apartment complex called Applewood. Anyway, the middle school was over the hill from my parents house, however if I got a bad report card, I would slink over to Grandma's to seek refuge. Of course her "willykins" was welcome, however I learned later she would casually wheelchair herself into the adjacent room and call my Mom with a "He's here" report to let her know where I was, and was ok.

Anyway, I don't think about my grandmothers alot, but I do have fond memories when I recall them. I loved going there.

Will

My number: 123

PS, I'll text heftysmokes about the contest before I hit post...

Thanks again!
    Will

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

Thanks for sharing a story willykins.

Blog Entries

LOL. Yep

BTW, technically, it would be williekins. Nobody did the "y"

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

awwww willykins...smiles 123 Is my normal night number that I play in the lotto!

to make it endure

Those guys win! Thanks for sharing, I enjoyed the stories.

My Mom and I still crack up on occasion about when she used to pull out the wooden spoon, point it in my direction and say "You just wait till your father gets home".

I have many stories about my wonderful Mom, but for some reason that's the one that's poking out.

My # 721

I'm gonna try to get ahold of chugg. He was a cool dude, and a real asset to this community.

Ha! Maybe I'll try basil instead. Never met him, but I think it would be cool if he popped back in.

Thank you very much for the contest cinda, you're awesome!

Blog Entries

Thanks for entering guys! Logan was the guy that was a little jealous. Now we wait and see...
    Last edited by cinda; 05-13-2014 at 04:01 PM.

to make it endure

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cinda View Post
    Thanks for entering guys! Logan was the guy that a little jealous. Now we wait and see...
    I thought it was Rich.

ETA: I should be clearer: I thought "I bet that was Rich, logan37, who was jealous about the ashtray."

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

Congrats TheGreekTitan ! The number was 787 Email me your sail mail and I will send it out this week. Thank you all for playing I really enjoyed all of your stories.

to make it endure

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cinda View Post
    Congrats TheGreekTitan ! The number was 787 Email me your sail mail and I will send it out this week. Thank you all for playing I really enjoyed all of your stories.
    Congrats GT!

Now I can be the one you refer to next time you mention jealousy over an ashtray.

Thank you for the contest cinda and thanks GT & whale for participating.

I hope everybody had a great Mother's Day celebrating all those special ladies in our lives.

Blog Entries

Congrats TGT, and thanks for the contest Cinda!
    Will

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    Congrats TGT, and thanks for the contest Cinda!
    Ditto!

Awesome, thank you very much cinda!!! I'm excited to see the ashtray, and promise to put it to good use.

And, thanks again for the shared stories fellas...good stuff.

Blog Entries

Expected delivery date 5-16-2014 priority mail

to make it endure

The ashtray landed today, and WOW what a beauty!!! By far the nicest ashtray I have, and I will put it to good use. I was planning on keeping it at home to keep it safe, but once I saw it in person I knew it had to go to my office for more exposure. Thank you very much Cinda, I love it!

BTW. Did you guys know that Prometheus was a Greek Titan? Cool story, look it up.

Thread Information