Thread: Age or No Age???

Default Age or No Age???

So I been doing some reading on another forum and keep seeing NC cigars do not benefit from aging. So what do you think? Just let em acclimate and smoke em or let em rest a few months? Does it hurt to let them sleep a year or so? Let me know what NC cigars do well with rest and what ones do not do well in YOUR opinions. Thanks everyone.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
    May your ashes be long and your smoke be plentiful...

2. Default

All cigars benefit from aging. NC cigars for the most part benefit from a year or more aging. Did you read the cello on some of your PIF cigars? Most of them fresh were not all that yummy but have mellowed out to good smokes. Case in point is a JdN Antano ,really harsh and yuk as fresh release but at least 6 months to age and they are some wicked strong but enjoyable cigars.
    The older I get ,the better I was

3. Default

Oh and all that shit is my opinion and in no way to be etched in stone or taken as gospel
    The older I get ,the better I was

I used to remove the cello but have started leaving it on. Most of my cigars are 1 year to less. I have noticed they are what I call smoother with some age. But I dont know much about aging. Just keep a few and see if I notice a change. My palette is beginning to notice differences older cigars. I am such a noob I thought maybe I was imagining the changes.

Blog Entries

Default Age or No Age???

I have only been serious with cigars for a few years now so I am by no means an expert. It is my understanding that the flavors of the different leaves will "marry" with age, giving the cigar a better overall flavor. Cigars will also mellow so what was a full bodied cigar, with some age, can become more medium bodied or even mild. I have had a couple of 14-16 year old CC Bolivars, they can be fairly strong fresh, but with that much age they had mellowed out quite a bit, but still had great flavor, better flavor than the freshies imo. This could have also been all in my head, placebo's and all that jazz you know, but they certainly did seem mild and very, very tasty.

I think that as long as they are stored properly about all that would happen with too much age is they just lose all their "oomph" and once great smokes can become boring. I know some veteran cigar smokers buy boxes and smoke a cigar out of each box about once every six months to see how they are doing, and when they feel like they are peaking they will smoke them much more frequently. I have bought several boxes in the past three years, but between sharing and lack of patience on my part, none have lasted very long. It seems like patience comes with being more experienced, I know that still being very new at this I am still like a kid with a new toy when I get new cigars, though that is beginning to level out ever so slightly.

I am pretty sure this is my first attempt to offer some actual advice here and not just act like an idiot. That means I probably just sounded like a real dumbass. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by kingbeefy; 05-05-2014 at 07:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kingbeefy View Post
    I have only been serious with cigars for a few years now so I am by no means an expert. It is my understanding that the flavors of the different leaves will "marry" with age, giving the cigar a better overall flavor. Cigars will also mellow so what was a full bodied cigar, with some age, can become more medium bodied or even mild. I have had a couple of 14-16 year old CC Bolivars, they can be fairly strong fresh, but with that much age they had mellowed out quite a bit, but still had great flavor, better flavor than the freshies imo. This could have also been all in my head, placebo's and all that jazz you know, but they certainly did seem mild and very, very tasty.

I think that as long as they are stored properly about all that would happen with too much age is they just lose all their "oomph" and once great smokes can become boring. I know some veteran cigar smokers buy boxes and smoke a cigar out of each box about once every six months to see how they are doing, and when they feel like they are peaking they will smoke them much more frequently. I have bought several boxes in the past three years, but between sharing and lack of patience on my part, none have lasted very long. It seems like patience comes with being more experienced, I know that still being very new at this I am still like a kid with a new toy when I get new cigars, though that is beginning to level out ever so slightly.

I am pretty sure this is my first attempt to offer some actual advice here and not just act like an idiot. That means I probably just sounded like a real dumbass. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Yeah.......lol Thank you for making me feel better about sleeping some NC sticks. I need to get some ROTT CC's and smoke one then let the rest sleep and see what I notice.

Quote Originally Posted by BowhuntnHoosier View Post
    So I been doing some reading on another forum and keep seeing NC cigars do not benefit from aging. So what do you think? Just let em acclimate and smoke em or let em rest a few months? Does it hurt to let them sleep a year or so? Let me know what NC cigars do well with rest and what ones do not do well in YOUR opinions. Thanks everyone.

Cigars do benefit from aging. I don't touch my Opus for at least a year...

Hopefully you learned something valuable about that other forum...
    Last edited by ggiese; 05-05-2014 at 11:20 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post

Hopefully you learned something valuable about that other forum...
    What?!? There are OTHER forums? Who knew??

Blog Entries

I never have cigars around long enough to age. The only time this happens for me is if someone sends me one with age, or I have one to review that for some reason slips between the cracks and just hangs out in the humidor.
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

I guess I'm thread killer.

Anyway, I had an Anejo 77 today with over a year on it, and they're definitely better this way.
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

I'm having an Opus PL today that I got in a pass or trade about a year ago and I don't know how old it was when I got it. I didn't get any pepper blast in the beginning like I usually get with the smaller Opus vitolas. It's real smooth with a great flavor so far.

Thread Information