Thread: Ya gotta laugh

Default Ya gotta laugh

So im pretty new to cigars smoking. Only months into it and enjoying myself quite a bit. I bought a humidor and all from the local cigar shop to get a set up at home to store my stogies. I guess the guy selling me the humidor is new at this as well.

I was not sold a humidor I was sold a cigar box with a humidity regulator inside of it. The box has a felt lined top which holds moisture quite well until it got to wet and fell off lol. The box isnt even the right type of wood. The box held a humidity of 80% which of course is not gonna be good. So I live and learn. I wonder if this kinda thing happens to other cigar neophytes.

So gonna have to have a talk with the cigar shop owners about this fella and also get a new set up. I ordered the correct stuff from amazon. A nice spanish cedar box and 65 beads with a digital hygrometer.

I do have a question tho about humidity. A humidor is supposed to present a good environment for cigars to live in. This is done by a humidity regulator or beads or whatever the device is that admits moisture into the box to raise the humidity. What happens when its 80% humidity outside? How does a moisture device lower the humidity? I know that the box is sealed but once opened wouldnt the humidity be the same as it is in the house? In florida its very hard to maintain a low humidity inside. The humidity in my house is 75 right now and I have two air conditioning units.

Im just hoping that I set it up and it works which it will but I kinda like understanding why as well. Do these devices actually regulate or just add moisture to an environment ?

Blog Entries

That is the beauty of the beads. They release moisture when it's low, and absorb it back when it gets too high. Just don't soak them all with water, only about half or less will do it.

Ok so the beads are actually a regulating device unlike the disk. I just need to figure by how much I wet what RH is to be regulated

Thread Information