Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nice Ashtray

Default Nice Ashtray

In the market for a nice big heavy solid cigar ashtray. Glass, porcelain, granite, marble, agate, etc, etc... Something unique. Anybody have a good source for such things? Or maybe have something nice laying around that you'd be willing to part with?
    "I have made it a rule never to smoke more than one cigar at a time." ~ Mark Twain

"Internet quotes are always 100% accurate." ~ Abraham Lincoln

Blog Entries

I hear a lot of people like the Stinky ashtray line. I have mostly porcelain ones around that I got here or there.
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    I hear a lot of people like the Stinky ashtray line. I have mostly porcelain ones around that I got here or there.
    I've seen these on Amazon, etc, and am not particularly fond of them, although I've never seen one in person... Looking for something more substantial. The stinkies look like thin sheet metal. Metal wouldn't be a bad thing, but I think I'd prefer something in a heavy brass, or maybe cast bronze or pewter if I went that route. Not real picky, just want something on the heavier side, and something unique that you don't see everyday. Thanks for your input though. I'll look more into the stinkies. Maybe they'll have something more to my liking than what I've seen so far..
    "I have made it a rule never to smoke more than one cigar at a time." ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by SPEEDRACER View Post
    I've seen these on Amazon, etc, and am not particularly fond of them, although I've never seen one in person... Looking for something more substantial. The stinkies look like thin sheet metal. Metal wouldn't be a bad thing, but I think I'd prefer something in a heavy brass, or maybe cast bronze or pewter if I went that route. Not real picky, just want something on the heavier side, and something unique that you don't see everyday. Thanks for your input though. I'll look more into the stinkies. Maybe they'll have something more to my liking than what I've seen so far..
    Hit up a flea market.

Quote Originally Posted by DanB6177 View Post
    Hit up a flea market.
    That's a fine idea, Dan! Although I'm a sucker for cast iron cookware, old rusty carbon steel knives, and other things from the days when things were actually made in the USA, and always end up coming home from flea markets with a lot more than I was looking for in the first place. This is a good excuse to make another haul!

This is what I use. It an old piston out of a P&W engine that didn't meet the specs on the rebuild.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	703 
Size:	94.8 KB 
ID:	3858

Quote Originally Posted by S.A.W.B. View Post
    This is what I use. It an old piston out of a P&W engine that didn't meet the specs on the rebuild.

Views:	703 
Size:	94.8 KB 
ID:	3858
    Nice! Didn't think about a piston... I like the legs on that coffee table too!

Thumbs up

You could cut it off about halfway through the pinholes, with a band saw, and make a couple of nice rests there too! I may just have look around for a nice big piston, S.A.W.B. That's a fine idea!

Blog Entries

http://www.cmt.com/videos/eric-churc...le-smoke.jhtml?

"Do this...go to Google and type in "Dumbass that can't take a hint"...notice the picture of a big feller in his Moms kitchen with a can of Wannabe RockStar on his man boob...Hey, that's you!" TheGreekTitan

May God grant us the wisdom to discover right, the will to

choose it, and the strength

to make it endure

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cinda View Post
    Damn. I might have to buy that!
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

I get compliments all the time on the coffee table. It's just some steel from a old cellphone tower and a drive chain from the elevator. I built it a few years back for my man cave.

Blog Entries

I get compliments all the time on the coffee table. It's just some steel from a old cellphone tower and a drive chain from the elevator. I built it a few years back for my man cave.
    post a pic

"Do this...go to Google and type in "Dumbass that can't take a hint"...notice the picture of a big feller in his Moms kitchen with a can of Wannabe RockStar on his man boob...Hey, that's you!" TheGreekTitan

to make it endure

Blog Entries

You could cut it off about halfway through the pinholes, with a band saw, and make a couple of nice rests there too! I may just have look around for a nice big piston, S.A.W.B. That's a fine idea!
    Here's one from a 1969 Cadillac Coupe de Ville with a 472ci that I blew up 30 years ago:

I thought about cutting it through the pin holes but I think it would have been too deep. Either way, you don't wind up with a whole lotta room for ashes
    Last edited by CoventryCat86; 11-01-2014 at 06:20 PM.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Here are a few of the man cave and the table.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Views:	504 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	3864   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	484 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	3865   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	485 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	3863  

Blog Entries

Interesting kitty.....never saw one like that

nice pic SWAB thanks for posting

to make it endure

Blog Entries

You need a cigar box clock on that wall.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Quote Originally Posted by CoventryCat86 View Post
    Here's one from a 1969 Cadillac Coupe de Ville with a 472ci that I blew up 30 years ago:

I thought about cutting it through the pin holes but I think it would have been too deep. Either way, you don't wind up with a whole lotta room for ashes
    Nice looking piston-ashtray you got there, CC86! I think when I make mine, I will cut it through the pin holes. I think that will make for some nice cigar rests, I'm not worried too much about the depth, and capacity won't be a big issue, as long as it holds the ashes from one or two cigars. I'll post a pic when it's finished. Gotta find a nice big piston first though... Looking back now, after hearing your story about the Coupe DeVille, I wish I'd saved one from one of the few engines I've blown up! Ha!

Thumbs up

Nice man cave (and furnishings) S.A.W.B., thanks for sharing! I agree with CC on the cigar box clock.

Blog Entries

Name:	1101141421.jpg 
Views:	1888 
Size:	89.0 KB 
ID:	3870

Have you ever see one like this?

to make it endure

Blog Entries

Nice looking piston-ashtray you got there, CC86! I think when I make mine, I will cut it through the pin holes. I think that will make for some nice cigar rests, I'm not worried too much about the depth, and capacity won't be a big issue, as long as it holds the ashes from one or two cigars. I'll post a pic when it's finished. Gotta find a nice big piston first though... Looking back now, after hearing your story about the Coupe DeVille, I wish I'd saved one from one of the few engines I've blown up! Ha!
    Yeah, ya know the more I think about it, that's probably the way to go, cut it right through the middle of the wrist pin holes because as you said, it will make for good cigar rests. The way I cut mine isn't exactly conducive to stopping a cigar from rolling off.

Like I said earlier, I made that one 30 years ago when I didn't even smoke cigars so come to think of it, the idea of rests never occurred to me so I have to correct myself because it never did occur to me to cut through the wrist pin holes. I kind of modeled it after cigarette ashtrays (which I never used myself personally since I've never smoked cigarettes) and there are enough of what you could consider "rests" for cigarettes but not so much for cigars.

As far as bigger pistons, you'd probably need to find one from a large diesel engine because I don't think there are automotive ones larger than the Cadillac one I used. The only problem with larger diameter pistons is they get awfully heavy.

Anyway, I think you're on the right track with making the cut through the wrist pin holes.
    Last edited by CoventryCat86; 11-03-2014 at 10:09 PM.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"

Thread Information