Thread: Hoyo de Monterrey ~ Le Hoyo des Dieux (Coronas Grandes)

Blog Entries

Default Hoyo de Monterrey ~ Le Hoyo des Dieux (Coronas Grandes)

Smoke: Hoyo de Monterrey ~ Le Hoyo des Dieux (Coronas Grandes)
    Drink: Water
    Tunes: Black Sabbath
    Date Smoked: 3-29-14

Wrapper: Cuba
    Binder: Cuba
    Filler: Cuba
    Draw: Medium to light
    Burn: Good
    Misc.: Nothing recorded.

Pre-light: Colorado shade wrapper. Great construction with almost square triple cap. Wrapper slightly conforms to binder beneath. Smells great, of tobacco, and faint cedar. Sweet smell. Rich leathery tobacco flavor on cut.

Light: Easy. Medium to tight draw.

1st 3rd: Slow sipping on the draw, but that’s good. Pulling rich nutty woodsy flavors. Sweet tobacco and a slight pepper spice. Medium body. Leaving a nice oily finish and aftertaste….ahhhh.

Ash: Gray and charcoal layers. Looks puffy and flakey. Holds for ¾”

2nd 3rd: Getting some tar. Have to go for a purge. Weird for the pace I’m smoking. That worked… Back to nice rich sweet tobacco and woodsy nutty notes. Background salty notes. Nice oil aftertaste.

3rd 3rd: Oily is taking over now. Nutty and woodsy taking a back seat. Still some pepper spice. Actually, I clipped 1/16” off the head to relieve some of the tar buildup. Cleared up, but still some oily flavors. More back to the beginning, but it’s not totally going to return.

Overall impression: Nice cigar.

Thank you, Santa 2013

Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

Yes, very nice cigars. The Le Hoyo is my favorite HDM line and the des Dieux is the one I like best. Do you know the box code on this one? As with many Cuban cigars, the draw was tight in the early 2000s however that wasn't so much the problem after that. The first one of these I smoked was from around 1999 or 2000 and I found the draw a little too tight for my liking but the ones I smoked after that had a much better draw, firm but not too tight.

Actually, I clipped 1/16” off the head to relieve some of the tar buildup.
    99% of the time, the tar buildup is from an inadequate cut and I've always found the way to correct this is to cut 1/16" to 1/8" more off the end of the cigar and that has always corrected the problem. I took me many years to figure this out.
    Last edited by CoventryCat86; 11-23-2014 at 10:10 AM.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Blog Entries

I'm not shure the box code. It was a secret santa 2013 cigar. It was delish!
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

I just noticed the smashed ashtray. Kinda reminds me of the guy with the Snap-On tool box with all the pretty tools polished up, dead give away that they're hardly ever used vs. the guy who uses his tools to make a living and they're the grubbiest, dirtiest things you've ever seen.

That's definitely a "working" cigar smoker's ashtray, LMAO!
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Thread Information