Thread: J. L Salazar y Hermanos Maduro

Blog Entries

Default J. L Salazar y Hermanos Maduro

This is an off the cuff series:

See above for smoke
    Troegs Nugget Nectar
    SRV on the tunes

I'm working on my bar while I smoke this.

Prelight: Not the prettiest box press, but decent construction. A few splits near the head, but I think it'll be ok. Kinda a mottled colorado, to colorado-maduro wrapper. I only can smell wood dust tonight, so I'm going to assume the nose is subtle. A faint licorice note on the cut prelight taste.

Light: Pretty easy with my pimp lighter.

1st: I get a lot of woodsy / nutty out of this off the bat. Nice easy draw. Maybe some oily leather background, but mostly a medium body tasty woodsy. Again, I am ploughing and planing tongue and groove boards tonight...

Ash: Didn't hold on long, but was a flakey light gray color. Maybe 3/4"

2nd: Medium body and kicking in some spice now. Still mostly woodsy and nutty. Pretty good. Staying consistent with burn and flavor. Some oily notes kicking in.

3rd: Consistent. Woodsy and nutty. Medium body and burnin' great. Nice flavor. The nutty is like a cashew flavor with a bit of smoke to it.

Overall: Been a pleasurable experience. THank you Mr. No-name!!!
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

I have had a couple of Salazars and liked them a lot. Does anybody know if these are still available? It looks like you can get the especiales, but not these. Anybody know what the difference is in the two?

I bought a fiver of these once. The flavor profile seems to be consistent. The notes you describe, particularly the licorice and oily leather, were the same ones I detected. I got a little grassy/hay sweetness as well.

They still sell them here.

https://www.cubancrafters.com/jl-salazar-cigars/

I don't get them, or the Don Kiki Brown labels anymore, because the price seems a little high for what you get at Cuban Crafters. I also got a bad sampler from them once full of completely mummified smokes. It took months in the humi to get them good to smoke and there were wrapper splits from the stress. One of them had a terrible construction flaw in the bunch. There was a hole big enough in the middle of the cigar to suck in ash! Blech! That was it for me. I do occasionally crave the DK Brown label though. The Belicoso was a very nice smoke. The gem of my experience with them. The Salazars came in second. I got a fiver of each.
    "some people are like slinkies, they're not really good for anything but they can bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs." –Unknown

"He did for bullshit what Stonehenge did for rocks." -Cecil Adams

Thread Information