Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Birthday Weekend!

Blog Entries

Default Birthday Weekend!

Mine and daydrunk's birthday is tomorrow so we are celebrating the whole weekend. We kicked it off last night with blackened pork chops, KCCO Black Lager, Founders Black Rye, and Sam Adams Double Bock. I had a Fuente Double Chateau. I'm on lots of coffee this morning and just finished a three year old Partagas Short. Also started a slow cook on a pork butt in an iron skillet bath of coke and bourbon. Stay tuned for more cigar, beer, and food updates!

Blog Entries

Blog Entries

Bacon is on it's way to my belly.

Blog Entries

Happy birthday, you two lovebirds.
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

Just lit up an old Cuaba thanks to a certain sexy dude here.

Blog Entries

Diamond Crown Maximus

Blog Entries

Happy Birthday!! Looks like you are both well on your way to having a great one!
    puro pot pass VI loser

Blog Entries

I think they got too drunk.
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

And we're baaaack! I finished off yesterday with a RASCC and daydrunk had a Hemingway Classic. Breaksfast again this morning, a 2002 Fuente something that I got in a trade and coffee. I'll post the finished pictures of the pork from yesterday in a little with. It was super tasty with some Brooklyn Local #1 last night.

Blog Entries

Another RASCC before lunch, smoked chicken wings for lunch, and now an Opus PL with an All Day IPA.

Blog Entries

I want to wish you a happy birthday, but I just can't get over the incredibly offensive user title. I mean, it's been like 7 years since FFL -- and I'm pretty sure my team went undefeated.
    Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    Buzz is smoking our cigars. This probably is his triumphant scam.

Happy birthday
    It will always be a battle a day between those who want maximum change and those who want to maintain the status quo.
    ~ Gerry Adams

Happy belated birthday guys.............where's the pic of the finished roast??
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

Blog Entries

Here is the final picture of the pork butt we did Saturday and the steaks directly on hickory coals yesterday.

Thanks for all the Birthday Wishes, it was a great one!!
    I'll have the Milk steak and Jelly Beans
    -Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by kingbeefy View Post
    Here is the final picture of the pork butt we did Saturday and the steaks directly on hickory coals yesterday.
    Ok, that made me hungry! The roast looks great and I have to admit, I've never done steaks directly on the coals like that. When I was a kid out at the lake we used to smack each other's hotdogs into the coals because they taste better that way....lol.....so I'm guessing the steaks would too.

Just out of curiosity, those look like deboned rib steaks (one of my favorite cuts), how much per pound for that cut of beef where you are? Our prices went up quite a bit this past fall and I'm curious how we compare. If memory serves me, we're now paying about $15/lb. Last summer it was more in the area of $10/lb

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CptnBlues63 View Post
    Ok, that made me hungry! The roast looks great and I have to admit, I've never done steaks directly on the coals like that. When I was a kid out at the lake we used to smack each other's hotdogs into the coals because they taste better that way....lol.....so I'm guessing the steaks would too.

Just out of curiosity, those look like deboned rib steaks (one of my favorite cuts), how much per pound for that cut of beef where you are? Our prices went up quite a bit this past fall and I'm curious how we compare. If memory serves me, we're now paying about $15/lb. Last summer it was more in the area of $10/lb
    They were ribeyes and I believe they were around $9 per pound, I know they weren't over $10. That was the first time I have tried that. I saw Alton Brown do something similar on the Food Network several years ago and I just happened to stumble upon the idea again last week. They ended up being amazing. Salt and pepper is all I put on them and they cooked perfect, well seared (but not burnt) on the outside and a good medium-rare on the inside. I highly recommend it.

Blog Entries

The pork was really good too. Every bit as good as any I've had smoked. I used a recipe that called for a 50/50 coke and bourbon bath in the skillet. I'm not sure what the purpose of the bourbon was, I didn't taste any of it. With the cost of bourbon I'm going to try just coke next time. The skillet worked extremely well at shielding from direct heat while also distributing the heat really well around the meat. Another thing we did that I didn't get a picture of, after the bacon cooked directly on the fire pit we put sausage in the crazy hot pool of bacon grease. It cooked really fast and was really crispy around the edges but not at all overcooked in the center. I highly recommend trying that as well.

Looks like a great weekend!!! Happy belated birthday fellas.

Quote Originally Posted by kingbeefy View Post
    They were ribeyes and I believe they were around $9 per pound, I know they weren't over $10. That was the first time I have tried that. I saw Alton Brown do something similar on the Food Network several years ago and I just happened to stumble upon the idea again last week. They ended up being amazing. Salt and pepper is all I put on them and they cooked perfect, well seared (but not burnt) on the outside and a good medium-rare on the inside. I highly recommend it.

Considering our prices are higher on everything here in Canada, I'm not surprised at the difference in price. I think they come out pretty much even in the end considering exchange rate and normal price differences.

I'd like to try that some time but truth be told, short of camping, I don't bother much with open fires. My back yard is a little on the small side (especially with the trailer taking up 1/3 of it) and I don't have a fire pit. But the next time we go out camping, I may just do that with some steaks or maybe moose chops!

Thread Information