Thread: Wine

Blog Entries

Default Wine

I just noticed, there's no wine thread here. I think we should start one.

I like reds, specifically French Bordeaux's which are generally a blend of Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot.

What do you like for wine?
    Last edited by CoventryCat86; 09-27-2016 at 08:29 PM.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Boone's Farm - fruity sweet and mixes well with 7up.

I would be interested in wine with cigars but not sure what I would like or how to pair them. Do cigars pair well with wines? I drank a savignon blanc (not sure if thats spelled right) once that was ok.
    Red wines mess my stomach up a bit.

Swisher sweets and MD 20/20. The sweetness of each play well off each other.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DanB6177 View Post
    I would be interested in wine with cigars but not sure what I would like or how to pair them. Do cigars pair well with wines? I drank a savignon blanc (not sure if thats spelled right) once that was ok.
    Red wines mess my stomach up a bit.
    I'm more of a red fan however when I drink whites, sauvignon blanc is my favorite white (ya almost got it right, you missed a "u"). Chardonnay is the most popular white in the USA probably followed by pinot grigio/pinot gris (same grape, same wine, different spelling depending on where it comes from). Sauvignon blancs from the Marlborough region of Ne Zealand are my favorites, there's a little more too them than a California or South America sauvignon blanc, usually you'll notice a little more citrus and pepper flavor from those. I think those would pair okay with a wine, if you like sauvignon blanc and you like cigars then you'll probably like them both together. I also like the French sauvignon blancs. Most of them are generally from the Loire Valley region of France, just north of Bordeaux.

I generally don't drink wine when I smoke cigars but some people do.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post
    Swisher sweets and MD 20/20. The sweetness of each play well off each other.
    LMAO!
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"

7. Default

The local vineyards make some nice Muscadine wine.

http://www.dennisvineyards.com/
    The older I get ,the better I was

If you do not care much for red wines, I would suggest trying a Pinot noir. In my view the lightest of the red wines and is generally very pleasant. I rarely hear complaints.

Sauvignon Blancs are generally my favorite white wines. Not a big fan of Chardonnay's (not a huge fan of the "buttery" flavor), though I am partial to un-Oaked varieties.

Lately the missus and I have been spending time at local wineries in Michigan. The sandy soil does some interesting things to the wine. We've found some great "jewels" amongst the wines we've tried. Tabor Hill produces a Demi Sec that has been a White House wine since the Ford administration. One of my absolute favorite white wines (had a glass or two last night!)

One thing I do generally recommend - stay away from the big commercial wines (e.g. wines that comes in big jugs or boxes, Yellow Tail, Skinny Girl, etc). Many of them have heavy nitrite content - which often give me a massive headache. I try to find wines where the nitrite content is pretty low, and seem to have the best success with smaller wineries.

As far as pairing wines with cigars - I really do enjoy an old growth Zinfandel and some Cabernets (very full body and flavor) with a nice cigar. Aside from that for me it's iffy pairing wines with cigars. It completely depends on how the flavors /"spiciness" play off the cigar. - sometimes it works, other times it doesn't..
    Last edited by ggiese; 05-28-2015 at 08:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin7 View Post
    The local vineyards make some nice Muscadine wine.

http://www.dennisvineyards.com/
    I have heard there are some very nice vineyards and wineries in North Carolina. I will have to check them out - such a great way to spend the day!

Blog Entries

I've never been able to get into wine. I've tried, just don't dig the flavors, the mouthfeel, and usually, the accompanying heart burn.
    Odd, I can drink the shit out of Scotch/Bourbon/Rye and even beer without a trace of heart-burn.......one glass of wine, I'm breathing fire.

11. Default

Wild Irish Rose chased down with Colt 45...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cigarsarge View Post
    Wild Irish Rose chased down with Colt 45...
    LOL. I'm just going to say that I never thought I'd be a liquor drinker, but I now am (seasonal) so with that, I've had the same experience as ashauler with wine without the heartburn. Maybe someday as tastes change.
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

I like reds with dinner. Whites work sometimes but don't buy them for around the house. Full Bodied Cabs are my favorites but I really haven't found a style of red I don't like.

Blog Entries

I do not like wine. One that I can drink without having some reactions of some kind is a wine called bare foot. I like the white Riesling You can buy it in the one glass bottles too. Its very easy to drink if you do not like how wine taste.

http://barefootwine.com/our-wines

http://www.cmt.com/videos/eric-churc...le-smoke.jhtml?

"Do this...go to Google and type in "Dumbass that can't take a hint"...notice the picture of a big feller in his Moms kitchen with a can of Wannabe RockStar on his man boob...Hey, that's you!" TheGreekTitan

May God grant us the wisdom to discover right, the will to

choose it, and the strength

to make it endure

Blog Entries

I'm a big fan of wine, mostly dry reds and semi dry whites. I typically don't get hangovers at all from them as long as their quality bottles. I also acquired a pretty healthy champagne stash before I left Europe.

Thread Information