Thread: Absinthe

Blog Entries

Default Absinthe

So I am trying some absinthe tonight. I had some on my mantrip (gaycation) last year, but I was already pretty lit up by the time I got to it I'm not real sure if I was feeling/tasting it or everything else I had prior.

This is interesting. Very herbal flavor. Very laid back feel. Mixed an ounce with 5 oz water and a sugar cube as per the instructions. I might like this as the occassional novelty sort of thing.

Anybody else tried it?

Blog Entries

I've had the cutyourearoff style. I was pretty in the bag at that point. In fact, I don't drink Molson Golden anymore because we tried to finish a case that night.

Carry on.
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

I've had a few different varieties in Europe. It was alright, but I can't say I ever got anything from it other than drunk.

Blog Entries

The wormwood is what is supposed to make it a different kind of drunk. I understand that the US has heavy restrictions on the amount of wormwood that can be used here, but it's basically unrestricted in Europe. I think even without the restrictions you have to drink way more than most people would drink to get it's effect. The results for me last night was just a nice, smooth, mellow mood that is different than beer, but much like any other kind of liquor for me.

I didn't hate the flavor either. It's the kind of thing I could see someone really not liking and I'm a little surprised that I like it.

"Absinthe makes you crazy and criminal, provokes epilepsy and tuberculosis, and has killed thousands of French people. It makes a ferocious beast of man, a martyr of woman, and a degenerate of the infant, it disorganizes and ruins the family and menaces the future of the country." - Absinthe Critic from "back in the day"

Absinthe that is said to have caused the cutting off of van Gogh's ear came from a different era. There are a ton of claims as to what caused hallucinations from the drink, but I believe most attribute the hallucinations to excessive drinking in general...

I have a bottle of Le Fee Absinthe "Parisienne" that was "spirited" (pun intended) out of France in the days before the ban on Absinthe was lifted in the US. This (my understanding) is about the best representative if Absinthe you'll find. My understanding is that it also has the maximum amount of wormwood that is called for in the original recipe. I agree with others - while I did not drink a LOT of it (enough to invoke a desire to drink a case of Molson), I did enjoy both the taste (unusual herbal taste) and the experience (e.g. mellow feeling). I am not compelled to drink it to excess, and only drink from the bottle on rare occasion.

To this day I would like to have Absinthe in the "traditional" method - with the special drinking glass, slotted spoon, sugar cube and ice water fountain. If anything - not unlike smoking a cigar it would be interesting to just sit around with others, follow the ritual and contemplate the process...

Thread Information