Thread: Any western Canadians?

Blog Entries

Default Any western Canadians?

I'll be passing through Canada this summer from Calgary through the ALCAN into Alaska. Any BOTLs in the vicinity? I'm looking for things to see at people to herf with.

Don't know if it fits your schedule, but momma and I are doing an Alaskan cruise from 6/10-6/17. We'll be around the western part of Canada (Victoria, BC), etc. around that time.

Quote Originally Posted by Eville View Post
    I'll be passing through Canada this summer from Calgary through the ALCAN into Alaska. Any BOTLs in the vicinity? I'm looking for things to see at people to herf with.
    What route are you taking through Alberta?

I live north of Edmonton but would be happy to meet you there (or in the vicinity) for a cigar if the timing worked out and you're heading through (or past) it on your way north.
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

Blog Entries

Duder if you go to Victoria during George's cruise two things:
    1. Don't trust George, he totally hustled my wife and I in what became known as the Great Dragon Scam (GDS), which was featured on 60 minutes a few months ago. You can read a bit about it here.
    2. There's a guy here named Mark who lives in Vancouver. I can't remember his username. TwinkleToes or something. I stayed with him when I did the Epic Road Trip (ERT). You can read a complete day-by-day synopsis of the trip here. Just show up at his house unannounced, he likes surprises like that.
    3. Lately I find that making lists with three things in it is ideal.
    You're welcome.
    Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    Buzz is smoking our cigars. This probably is his triumphant scam.

Quote Originally Posted by buzz View Post
    Duder if you go to Victoria during George's cruise two things:
    1. Don't trust George, he totally hustled my wife and I in what became known as the Great Dragon Scam (GDS), which was featured on 60 minutes a few months ago. You can read a bit about it here.
    2. There's a guy here named Mark who lives in Vancouver. I can't remember his username. TwinkleToes or something. I stayed with him when I did the Epic Road Trip (ERT). You can read a complete day-by-day synopsis of the trip here. Just show up at his house unannounced, he likes surprises like that.
    3. Lately I find that making lists with three things in it is ideal.
    You're welcome.

"Hustled" your wife? Certainly not! In fact - not to be a conspiracy hound, but I sense this could potentially be a weak attempt to cover-up of her involvement in the great Yugo fiasco.

Inquiring minds gotta know...

Blog Entries

George, I will almost certainly be staying pretty far north or east of Victoria (really just heading Buzz's advice). Enjoy that cruise with the lady though!

Cpt, My plan right now is to hang a left at Edmonton and get on the Alaska Highway there. I was reading about another highway that bypasses Edmonton through a National Park and is supposed to have killer views. I'll let you know when the time gets closer.

George, I will almost certainly be staying pretty far north or east of Victoria (really just heading Buzz's advice). Enjoy that cruise with the lady though!

Cpt, My plan right now is to hang a left at Edmonton and get on the Alaska Highway there. I was reading about another highway that bypasses Edmonton through a National Park and is supposed to have killer views. I'll let you know when the time gets closer.
    You'll be coming right through Grande Prairie, AB. Give me estimated dates and I'm game if work cooperates.
    {*insert snide remark here*}
    Trader Rating: +2112

Sorry our timing and location don't match up with your trip. That would hav been great to catch up with you. But - neither here nor there - the wifey poo and I intend upon enjoying the crap out of this cruise!

Quote Originally Posted by drew_goring View Post

You'll be coming right through Grande Prairie, AB. Give me estimated dates and I'm game if work cooperates.

You know, I might make the drive to GP just to meet you both and sit and have a cigar.

The highway you're probably thinking of Eville would be the Jasper/Banff parkway (#93). It IS a gorgeous drive! I've done it quite a few times and may very well be doing it again this June when we head south to visit my daughter and grandson in Portland, OR.

If you're going to take that route though, you'd probably want to head west at Calgary, AB and go through Banff to Lake Louise, then cut north on the parkway to Jasper. You could cut northwest at Jasper and take #16 into BC.

Blog Entries

A GP herf would be pretty awesome!

The Banff/Jasper Parkway is exactly the one I was talking about, and I'm having a bit of a quandary. I really want to spend a day or 2 in Edmonton, but I also really want to drive the #93. I'm thinking either drive up to Edmonton for a couple of days then back down the 11 and pick up the #93 north of Lake Louise. Will I have missed all the good scenery if I do that? If so, I'll just stay in Calgary an extra day and drink beer until I think I'm in Edmonton. http://www.cigarsmokers.com/images/smilies/smiley37.gif

A GP herf would be pretty awesome!

The Banff/Jasper Parkway is exactly the one I was talking about, and I'm having a bit of a quandary. I really want to spend a day or 2 in Edmonton, but I also really want to drive the #93. I'm thinking either drive up to Edmonton for a couple of days then back down the 11 and pick up the #93 north of Lake Louise. Will I have missed all the good scenery if I do that? If so, I'll just stay in Calgary an extra day and drink beer until I think I'm in Edmonton. http://www.cigarsmokers.com/images/smilies/smiley37.gif

Well ya know..............there is another way!

You could head southwest from Edmonton to the big town of Rocky Mountain House, from there you take #11 west to the Jasper/Banff parkway. Cut north on the parkway and you're on your way to Jasper. You miss about 1/3 of the southern end of the parkway if you go that route.

What are your plans for the return trip?? Maybe we could meet up then instead.

Blog Entries

Well, I'm about 3 weeks out from the start now. My current plan puts me in at Invermere for the Rocky Mountain Rally on the 4th/5th, Calgary on the 5th, and Edmonton on the 6th. No return trip Capn, I'm staying in Alaska until at least 2019. Drew, I'll be passing through GP on the 7th and might have time to stop. I need to make it from Edmonton to Fort Nelson in time to set up camp.

Well, I'm about 3 weeks out from the start now. My current plan puts me in at Invermere for the Rocky Mountain Rally on the 4th/5th, Calgary on the 5th, and Edmonton on the 6th. No return trip Capn, I'm staying in Alaska until at least 2019. Drew, I'll be passing through GP on the 7th and might have time to stop. I need to make it from Edmonton to Fort Nelson in time to set up camp.
    Sounds good, let me know. That's a helluva drive in one day, probably 11-12 hours.
    {*insert snide remark here*}
    Trader Rating: +2112

Quote Originally Posted by drew_goring View Post
    Sounds good, let me know. That's a helluva drive in one day, probably 11-12 hours.
    I was thinking the same thing............I wager there's a good campground right around Grande Prairie! LOL

Sadly, the 6th in Edmonton won't work for me....that's a Monday. I have already booked my annual two week hunting trip off in November and the vacation to visit my daughter and grandson in Portland, OR became a three week adventure instead of the two I thought we were taking. So I'm out of days off now *sigh* If you get a chance to stop and visit with Drew, take some pics and post them on here............lol. If I don't talk to you before you leave, enjoy your trip through the rockies and drive safe!

Thread Information