Thread: Lawn maintenance

Default Lawn maintenance

Hi all,

I just wanted to ask a yard maintenance question. I live in Houston, Tx and with the change of season, my grass is starting to grow slowly. I decided I wanted to put something down to help stimulate growth to have a healthier yard and provide some nutrients to the topsoil. My grass is green and I've seen little new growth, but there are a feel hard patches. I don't have a underground watering system, it's just me and a garden hose. Sorry, I didn't include pictures, but I didn't think it was necessary, since I only want to add some more actual care to the lawn soil itself.

I went to home depot but when I asked for fertilizer they directed me to the garden department and I found bags of mulch, garden soil, compost, hummus and manure, weed and feed, fill dirt and topsoil.

So, before you say google it. I'd rather ask here because Google doesn't provide years of trial and error (experience) on this topic. My goal is again to do more than the lawn mowing, trimming hedges, and watering. I'd like to actually attend to the grass and soil, but nothing that requires a lot of maintenance, but more than that's been done over the years. So, any suggestions on what to purchase to put down would be appreciated?

Also, if you have any additional lawn maintenance and landscaping tips I'd love to hear those. I'm a one man crew, so I need practical, simple and efficient ideas. I don't want to be that neighbor with brown grass with patches of dirt, ant mounds and weeds.

Also, never saw a bag at home depot that said just plain old "fertilizer". I'm just curious that they still make it and I just didn't see it.

Thanks in advance

-Groucho The secret word is cigars!

Blog Entries

For me, I don't really care about my "grass." I let the crab grass run wild, and I have a lot of clover. The water table is shallow here, so I have green "grass" all summer. Other things I like to work on, coming up, is the garden and my trees. I have three pear trees, and a cherry tree which I keep pruned. In the garden, my wife has taken to annuals, so I usually mulch around them, and then just weed through the summer. I plant veggies and work them in also. I also grow hops, which is fun.

For the yard, sometimes, I put down grub killer which I think eliminates the brown spots that most people think is from dog piss. Dog piss doesn't do anything. That's grubs.
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

I've been admired for the quality of my grass.
    I grow lots of other stuff, some of it I eat, some of it I smoke, and some just looks pretty.

4. Default

10-10-10 is basic fertilizer. I live and bfe and my grass is a combination of every thing that grows in NC.
    The older I get ,the better I was

Blog Entries

I'll have to ask my wife.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GrouchM View Post
    Hi all,

I just wanted to ask a yard maintenance question. I live in Houston, Tx and with the change of season, my grass is starting to grow slowly. I decided I wanted to put something down to help stimulate growth to have a healthier yard and provide some nutrients to the topsoil. My grass is green and I've seen little new growth, but there are a feel hard patches. I don't have a underground watering system, it's just me and a garden hose. Sorry, I didn't include pictures, but I didn't think it was necessary, since I only want to add some more actual care to the lawn soil itself.

I went to home depot but when I asked for fertilizer they directed me to the garden department and I found bags of mulch, garden soil, compost, hummus and manure, weed and feed, fill dirt and topsoil.

So, before you say google it. I'd rather ask here because Google doesn't provide years of trial and error (experience) on this topic. My goal is again to do more than the lawn mowing, trimming hedges, and watering. I'd like to actually attend to the grass and soil, but nothing that requires a lot of maintenance, but more than that's been done over the years. So, any suggestions on what to purchase to put down would be appreciated?

Also, if you have any additional lawn maintenance and landscaping tips I'd love to hear those. I'm a one man crew, so I need practical, simple and efficient ideas. I don't want to be that neighbor with brown grass with patches of dirt, ant mounds and weeds.

Also, never saw a bag at home depot that said just plain old "fertilizer". I'm just curious that they still make it and I just didn't see it.

Thanks in advance

-Groucho The secret word is cigars!
    Sounds like you don't want to be living near me, LOL! And since my yard looks like that half the time, I don't have any ideas for you. I'm on the side of a hill out in the country where we don't have fancy lawns.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Thread Information