Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I think my city doesn't like good cheap smokes...

Default I think my city doesn't like good cheap smokes...

This is for Houston based members (but would love to see if other areas can relate?)

After receiving a Vegas 5 Gold as a good recomendation for a good inexpensive smoke. I thought I would definitely add this stick to my list of buys, but on further reflection I concluded that my B&M and most shops down here (Houston, TX) don't carry a lot of the reasonable priced sticks like Vegas 5 Gold and other sticks that members have recommended to me.

Just what I'm noticing, which is why I'm either feast or famine on reasonably priced good smokes, but also why I'm smoking lesser quality. So I starting to understand the draw of C bid and other online sources for a more diverse selection as well as prices.

Would love any feedback from Houston based botl or stories about others who had this issue.

Blog Entries

I'm not from Houston.

I live in PA, and for now, it seems to be a cigar sales haven.
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

Most shops, not just in Houston but everywhere, don't carry the low-end cigars that can be found on the internet for bargain basement prices for the simple reason that they cannot compete with the large internet retailers.

You're right, your not going to find your 5 Vegas cigars in smaller shops in Houston and probably not anywhere else either.

My local shops carry high end cigars like Fuente and Davidoff for the same prices as the internet retailers and they carry boutique cigars that are fantastic that you cannot get on the internet.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Blog Entries

Bill, I think I know where you're going with this, but Groucho's going to have to go through the evolution.
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

What do you consider a reasonable price for a good cigar?
    Perhaps your expectations are not aligned with reality, or, maybe your budget and your tastes are what's out alignment.

When will the mooch come?.

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    Perhaps your expectations are not aligned with reality, or, maybe your budget and your tastes are what's out alignment.

Under $4, even $3. I agree that I am (after 4 mths) on this cigar journey my expectations are out of alignment. But, I began with dog rockets and have worked my way through what I could find at the liquor store, then B&M (per great recommendation by a friend ). I now after joining cigar forums, have recently discovered that the cigars they recommend aren't always found at my B&M, like the 5 Vegas Gold, as an example.
    So, I going to make my misteps with this world. I now understand why online cigar sellers are so popular compared to B&Ms.

So your points are not lost on me.

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post

Under $4, even $3. I agree that I am (after 4 mths) on this cigar journey my expectations are out of alignment. But, I began with dog rockets and have worked my way through what I could find at the liquor store, then B&M (per great recommendation by a friend ). I now after joining cigar forums, have recently discovered that the cigars they recommend aren't always found at my B&M, like the 5 Vegas Gold, as an example.

So, I going to make my misteps with this world. I now understand why online cigar sellers are so popular compared to B&Ms.

So your points are not lost on me.

Blog Entries

Grouch, I believe the bottom line is you're going to find the best deals on the internet and almost never in local shops.

There are lots of people out there that smoke lots of low end cigars and they buy most of them on-line.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Point made and taken @coventrycat86

Good cheap cigars... That's the holy grail of cigar smoking!

I've been in a number of cigar stores in the Houston area - but not a regular customer (I visit occasionally). I've found most of the stores are not much different than my local shop. The local shops have a good selection of more reasonably priced cigars and factory seconds. I'm sure I can find them cheaper elsewhere, but they're not completely out of line. I'm certain if you experiment you'll settle on a decent cigar at a reasonable price.

But - "cheap" is a relative term. What I consider "cheap" might not what you consider "cheap". Not a huge fan of 5 Vegas (a good cigar, but not my cup of tea). I personally like the Cuestra Reys, the RP Edge Maduros, Padron 1000 series, etc. if I want a cheaper smoke. I'd much rather pay the extra buck or two for a better cigar.

But if I really want to go into nirvana - those damned Davidoff #1's completely blow me away... Pricey, but IMHO well worth the extra $$$.

Bottom line - the best part of the quest is to sample as many cigars as you can. The fun is in the search!!!

Well said, @ggiese.

Default Hard to find good less expensive cigars in stores.

I enjoy a good cigar but I don't have the money to spend over $10 per cigar. I found that online stores have the best selection of lower price
    cigars. I really enjoy Casa De Garcia Colossal. A mild big ring cigar at a great price. Has anyone else found a good low price cigar that I should try?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3658.jpg 
Views:	578 
Size:	94.7 KB 
ID:	4017

Quote Originally Posted by HotRiverGuy View Post
    I enjoy a good cigar but I don't have the money to spend over $10 per cigar. I found that online stores have the best selection of lower price
    cigars. I really enjoy Casa De Garcia Colossal. A mild big ring cigar at a great price. Has anyone else found a good low price cigar that I should try?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3658.jpg 
Views:	578 
Size:	94.7 KB 
ID:	4017
    You guys and your big ring gauge cigars!!! The bigger the ring gauge the better!

I just don't get it... So what's the attraction?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post
    You guys and your big ring gauge cigars!!! The bigger the ring gauge the better!

I just don't get it... So what's the attraction?
    Thanks, I'm not sure I'll check back for the answer.

As I've found, "good cigars" run $8-$12 or more each. "Really good cigars" run $20-$30. All these are usually very consistent. I can only afford these as a treat.

"Decent cigars" are in the $3-$7 range with consistency being a big issue. I deal with these for the most part. Always on the hunt as the brands die off, and good batches go quick.

Under $3 is either whats left after they make the real cigars, what they train new rollers with, or usually both. You can still get some for "yard gars". No crime in doing that.
    "some people are like slinkies, they're not really good for anything but they can bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs." –Unknown

"He did for bullshit what Stonehenge did for rocks." -Cecil Adams

Default Ryo

Quote Originally Posted by Kenyth View Post
    As I've found, "good cigars" run $8-$12 or more each. "Really good cigars" run $20-$30. All these are usually very consistent. I can only afford these as a treat.

"Decent cigars" are in the $3-$7 range with consistency being a big issue. I deal with these for the most part. Always on the hunt as the brands die off, and good batches go quick.

Under $3 is either whats left after they make the real cigars, what they train new rollers with, or usually both. You can still get some for "yard gars". No crime in doing that.
    You can always roll your own. That's an option.
    Unmitigated risk aversion is the new Puritanism; complete with witch hunts funny outfits and humorless preachers thundering doom. The Deity is Safety; Satan is a Lawyer; but the object is the same: to suck the life out of life and tell you how to live it.

Quote Originally Posted by webmost View Post
    You can always roll your own. That's an option.
    Where the heck would you get the tobacco? Doesn't it require tropical/subtropical climes to grow and store cigar class tobacco? Not to mention somewhere to cure and ferment it properly. Is there a "Cigar making from scratch for Dummies" book on Amazon?
    "some people are like slinkies, they're not really good for anything but they can bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs." –Unknown

Where the heck would you get the tobacco? Doesn't it require tropical/subtropical climes to grow and store cigar class tobacco? Not to mention somewhere to cure and ferment it properly. Is there a "Cigar making from scratch for Dummies" book on Amazon?

Holy crap! Google it and you will find it!

https://www.leafonly.com/

Blog Entries

I HIGHLY recommend this place: http://wholeleaftobacco.com/
    Don is a great guy, and very helpful.

He also has a forum with lots of info available here: http://fairtradetobacco.com/

Watch out, or you'll end up growing it too. That's just a tad bit of work, FYI.

Blog Entries

Holy crap! Google it and you will find it!

https://www.leafonly.com/
    Yep, they have it too.....but, the quality is nowhere near the other link I provided, all IMHO of course.

Thread Information