Anybody here ever do this?

https://youtu.be/wta4c8QoucM

Blog Entries

Not me
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Default guggling

Maybe they call it noodeling in Oklahoma. Far as I ever knew, the good old English word for fishing with your fingers is guggling. Back in the stone ages, when I was a lad, we guggled trout, up at our fave camping spot other side of Forest Home in the San Berdoo mountains. You lay on a tree root or some such, where there's a likely fish hole under the bank. You dangle your hands in the water until they freeze & prune up. You wiggle your fingers slow like they might be worms. Eventually, even a trout gets curious. Comes, nips, speeds away. Comes back, nips, speeds away. Once you get one to where he will tolerate you petting him (cause every critter on Earth seems to like human hands petting), you may have exactly one chance to snag him in the gills. Takes patience; but it works. Believe it or not. I've eaten them.

I've never done catfish, tho. Why someone would want o eat a crap slurping bottom feeder... but then, people go nutso for blue crabs, so...
    Unmitigated risk aversion is the new Puritanism; complete with witch hunts funny outfits and humorless preachers thundering doom. The Deity is Safety; Satan is a Lawyer; but the object is the same: to suck the life out of life and tell you how to live it.

Quote Originally Posted by webmost View Post
    Maybe they call it noodeling in Oklahoma. Far as I ever knew, the good old English word for fishing with your fingers is guggling. Back in the stone ages, when I was a lad, we guggled trout, up at our fave camping spot other side of Forest Home in the San Berdoo mountains. You lay on a tree root or some such, where there's a likely fish hole under the bank. You dangle your hands in the water until they freeze & prune up. You wiggle your fingers slow like they might be worms. Eventually, even a trout gets curious. Comes, nips, speeds away. Comes back, nips, speeds away. Once you get one to where he will tolerate you petting him (cause every critter on Earth seems to like human hands petting), you may have exactly one chance to snag him in the gills. Takes patience; but it works. Believe it or not. I've eaten them.

I've never done catfish, tho. Why someone would want o eat a crap slurping bottom feeder... but then, people go nutso for blue crabs, so...

LOL

My wife spent the majority of her adult life in Oklahoma/Arkansas before I stole her away to the great white north and she preferred "jugging" to "noodling" but has noodled a few cats in her time. As to why one would eat them, because they're tasty! But then, so's crab!

I don't much care what my food eats as long as it's not me!
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CptnBlues63 View Post
    LOL

My wife spent the majority of her adult life in Oklahoma/Arkansas before I stole her away to the great white north and she preferred "jugging" to "noodling" but has noodled a few cats in her time. As to why one would eat them, because they're tasty! But then, so's crab!

I don't much care what my food eats as long as it's not me!
    Amen. Love me some catfish.

Uncle Tupelo

There are so damned many chemicals in the air, the ground and the water it does not much matter what eats who where. You oughta see what and how they feed chickens. Beef? Pffftttt... I used to love salmon until concerns were raised about mercury. Mercury? I used to roll a ball of that in the palm of my hand, chasing boredom! Hell - I'd go back to caveman days if I wouldn't miss my iPhone too doggone much!

Oh - to your original question Sarge... I vaguely remember Scotty liking okienoodling. I suspect it was largely because he was a worm! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post
    There are so damned many chemicals in the air, the ground and the water it does not much matter what eats who where. You oughta see what and how they feed chickens. Beef? Pffftttt... I used to love salmon until concerns were raised about mercury. Mercury? I used to roll a ball of that in the palm of my hand, chasing boredom! Hell - I'd go back to caveman days if I wouldn't miss my iPhone too doggone much!
    LOL - I wouldn't miss the "second wife" either. In fact, my cell phone rang one year while I was out hunting at an inconvenient moment and somehow ended up going under the truck wheels not once, not twice, but thrice! Sadly, with my wife ill, not taking it with me places is no longer an option so its stays firmly in place on it's holster on my belt *sigh*

Oh, I'm going to be trying for some burbot in the near future. Locally some call then "ling cod" because they kind of look like a ling cod but they're more similar to a cat as they're bottom feeders. Apparently you have to clean them the same way you would a cat and they're supposed to have meat like a cat and be great eating. Also, the limit is a lot higher here in Alberta for burbot than it is for my favorite, walleye. Most lakes here there is no take home limit and in the ones where you can, you can only take one per person. Burbot limit is 10 That's on the lakes, the river running through town has a 3 walleye limit so I'm going to go hunting my favorite fish on the river too. And, it's a lot closer to home than the nearest lake with a take home limit for walleye (35 min drive, the river, about 4 min's.........lol)

Oh, great news for me on the fishing front.............I inherited the family boat (16' aluminum Starcraft with an open bow) that my dad bought new in 78 and have converted it (mostly) into a fishing boat. I added a bow mounted electric trolling motor, pedestal seats and a depth finder. Had it out last weekend and caught about 30 walleye between my friend and I on Sat/Sun. Going to take the wife out ASAP as she loves fishing and has never fished walleye.

9. Default

Just thought I would throw the subject out for discussion. I was thinking of all the adventure we had here.

Blog Entries

Around here, Id be afraid of sticking my hand in a hole and getting bit by a big old snapping turtle.. Have some buddies that love fishing for flat heads. they mostly set out lines and wait.
    Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. -- Carl Sagan

Quote Originally Posted by webmost View Post

Catfish are a bit mislabeled because they hunt at the bottom. They do not prefer to slurp "crap" for food. They are opportunistic feeders for sure and will eat carrion, but so will most fish. Most catfish prefer live prey. They are carnivores and feed on other fish, insects, worms, and crustaceans.

The fact that they feed towards the bottom does make them more likely to ingest non-soluble solid environmental pollutants, which collect at the bottom. I guess you can classify that as crap slurping based upon your perspective.
    "some people are like slinkies, they're not really good for anything but they can bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs." –Unknown

"He did for bullshit what Stonehenge did for rocks." -Cecil Adams

12. Default

Had catfish for dinner tonite...Caught them myself.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cigarsarge View Post
    Had catfish for dinner tonite...Caught them myself.
    Nice. My daughter often lobbies for catfish when I'm smoking fish. Delicious.

Uncle Tupelo

Pollution is ruining fishing. Any and all fish I've caught from spring fed lakes or mountain streams or ponds have been delicious. Any and all fish I've caught from rivers have been terrible. As they build up around the lakes in my hometown, I notice pollution problems over the years as well. Haven't been fishing there for some years as my parents moved and sold their boat. Last time I went, there were powerboats, jet skis, and condos galore. The water was permanently murky and foamy and the fish were not anywhere near as good.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    "some people are like slinkies, they're not really good for anything but they can bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs." –Unknown

15. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Kenyth View Post
    Pollution is ruining fishing. Any and all fish I've caught from spring fed lakes or mountain streams or ponds have been delicious. Any and all fish I've caught from rivers have been terrible. As they build up around the lakes in my hometown, I notice pollution problems over the years as well. Haven't been fishing there for some years as my parents moved and sold their boat. Last time I went, there were powerboats, jet skis, and condos galore. The water was permanently murky and foamy and the fish were not anywhere near as good.

I never eat river fish. Too much garbage in the water. I do fish in rivers but throw them back.

It's a shame really. Even the Great lakes. I remember fishing in lake Michigan on vacation as a kid. The water was clear enough to actually see the schools of perch in the water off the pier. That is the last time I remember it being that way.

Quote Originally Posted by cigarsarge View Post
    I never eat river fish. Too much garbage in the water. I do fish in rivers but throw them back.
    To the best of my knowledge I've yet to eat a river. I've always fished lakes. But I'm going to try river fishing for walleye tomorrow and if I catch some, I'm going to try them to see if there is actually any difference in flavor. I already checked to see if there are worries about mercury (there aren't).

The reason I'm going to try fishing the river is that it's a 5 min drive from my house and the take home limit for walleye is 3. The closet lake is 35 min's away and, your take home limit is 1 walleye.

Thread Information