Thread: Rocky Patel Decade Robusto

Default Rocky Patel Decade Robusto

This was a beautiful cigar. A dark, flawless wrapper with a matte sheen. No visible defects. It is box pressed, with a pretty gold label. There were only faintly visible veins in the wrapper.

I really like RP's cigars. I started out smoking a lot of his stuff, and there is good hype about this cigar, so I had high hopes. I was a little disappointed in the end though.

The prelight aroma was nice and the draw had a chewy deep earthy tobacco taste. The burn and draw were good and there was a lot of nice thick smoke. Ash held on fine, so the construction was good. It was full bodied and earthy. Charry and peppery, with notes of oak and a little licorice bite. The flavor held pretty steady throughout the smoke, though the peppery bite picked up in the nub. A nice cigar for sure. Just not as great as I envisioned it to be.

My complaint is that it was a bit dull and flat. One sided. It was strong, but the flavors did not seem that complex.

I will try one again, but at this point this cigar wasn't worth the price. I prefer the Vintage series.
    "some people are like slinkies, they're not really good for anything but they can bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs." –Unknown

"He did for bullshit what Stonehenge did for rocks." -Cecil Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Kenyth View Post
    This was a beautiful cigar. A dark, flawless wrapper with a matte sheen. No visible defects. It is box pressed, with a pretty gold label. There were only faintly visible veins in the wrapper.

I really like RP's cigars. I started out smoking a lot of his stuff, and there is good hype about this cigar, so I had high hopes. I was a little disappointed in the end though.

The prelight aroma was nice and the draw had a chewy deep earthy tobacco taste. The burn and draw were good and there was a lot of nice thick smoke. Ash held on fine, so the construction was good. It was full bodied and earthy. Charry and peppery, with notes of oak and a little licorice bite. The flavor held pretty steady throughout the smoke, though the peppery bite picked up in the nub. A nice cigar for sure. Just not as great as I envisioned it to be.

My complaint is that it was a bit dull and flat. One sided. It was strong, but the flavors did not seem that complex.

I will try one again, but at this point this cigar wasn't worth the price. I prefer the Vintage series.

Next time try the Decade Torpedo instead of the Robusto. The Torpedo's got quite a high rating from Cigar Aficionado some years back and that's why I tried that vitola, I'm usually more of a Robusto guy.

I do know that the Decade Torpedo's are one of my favorite RP cigars. I like the Vintage 1990 Robusto's quite a bit too. Come to think of it, I'd be hard put to find an RP I didn't like.........or one that was rolled as badly!
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

I get a feeling I just got a bad mix on this one. It happens. One cigar is mediocre or bad, and the next one is great. I had that happen with two Camacho Criollo's I smoked sometime back. One was downright awful and the other was very nice.
    "some people are like slinkies, they're not really good for anything but they can bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs." –Unknown

Blog Entries

Thanks for the review. I've smoked two boxes plus of the torpedos... Great smoke to me. I will agree it is not a complex cigar. Smooth and rich come to mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I didn't play at collecting. No cigar anywhere was safe from me."
    ~Edward G. Robinson
    =====
    "Ain't nothin' better than a damn good cigar."
    ~EdgeMan
    =====

My second one of these was much better. It started with the overwhelming tongue tingling pepper like my first one. But this one mellowed out into a nice balanced flavor profile after a half inch or so. Either my palate was off the first time or there was some extra Ligero in it.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Thread Information