Thread: Site Move

Blog Entries

Default Site Move

Howdy!

Our hosting provider got bought out and as a result the new owners have asked that we move to a new server. In the next couple of days I will be moving the site to its new spot. Cigarsmokers.com may be inaccessible for some time while the DNS updates.

Thanks for your patience!

--Miguel

P.S. It's been a while! I really need to pop in more.
    Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. -- Carl Sagan

Blog Entries

Default Upgraded vBulletin

In preparation for the move, I updated the forum to the latest 4.X release of vBulletin. Let me know if you notice any issues.

Thanks!
    Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. -- Carl Sagan

Blog Entries

There's no longer any "view new posts" or "posts since your last visit" or whatever it was option.

This is really bad......
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CoventryCat86 View Post
    There's no longer any "view new posts" or "posts since your last visit" or whatever it was option.

This is really bad......
    The What's New Menu item up at the top has some of this, but let me take a closer look to see what is missing.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hex1848 View Post
    The What's New Menu item up at the top has some of this, but let me take a closer look to see what is missing.
    I think I got what you are looking for back. You meant the New Post link up at the top sub menu right? This version of vBulletin has a newer navigation system then what we had before, I had to change a couple of settings to get it back.

Blog Entries

Yeah, I saw the "What's New?" menu which was a substitute which wasn't as good as the "New Posts" but per your second response, you fixed it.

The "New Posts" button is the first one I always go to so I'm glad it's back. Honestly, if it wasn't there, I think we'd lose what few casual FOG visitors we still have.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Blog Entries

I think I got what you are looking for back. You meant the New Post link up at the top sub menu right? This version of vBulletin has a newer navigation system then what we had before, I had to change a couple of settings to get it back.
    "THAN" not "then" fer cryin' out frikken loud..........

They must not teach grammar in Tallahassee....they do in Gainesville....
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"

It can't be fun to be a grammarian these days. So much gibberish to rail against. Your signature line reads: "Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap," whereas our zeitgeist simply says: "Grammar -- crap."

A good friend of mine made this hobby site you might enjoy: http://writing-rag.com
    Unmitigated risk aversion is the new Puritanism; complete with witch hunts funny outfits and humorless preachers thundering doom. The Deity is Safety; Satan is a Lawyer; but the object is the same: to suck the life out of life and tell you how to live it.

Blog Entries

Ohh Bill...

Blog Entries

Going to go ahead and give this a shot in the next few minutes - 10:00 EST or so. The forum will be closed for new posts once I get started. The site move will take an hour or two. Once I change DNS may take an hour or longer to propagate to you.

Sorry for the down time, but we need to get off the current server ASAP!

Blog Entries

The site move is complete. I've already been able to hit the new server from several locations - DNS seems to be updating quickly. Let me know if you run into any issues

--Miguel

Blog Entries

A couple of quick notes about the move. Aside from getting more memory and a bigger CPU - both the web server and database software that run Cigarsmokers.com have changed to nginx and MariaDB. For those who pay attention, you should see a nice performance boast on the site!
    Last edited by hex1848; 08-08-2016 at 10:14 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by webmost View Post
    It can't be fun to be a grammarian these days. So much gibberish to rail against. Your signature line reads: "Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap," whereas our zeitgeist simply says: "Grammar -- crap."

A good friend of mine made this hobby site you might enjoy: http://writing-rag.com
    How'd you know I'd like it?

When I get some time, I'll poke around on it a little more.

This guy is my new hero!
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"

Blog Entries

Going to go ahead and give this a shot in the next few minutes - 10:00 EST or so. The forum will be closed for new posts once I get started. The site move will take an hour or two. Once I change DNS may take an hour or longer to propagate to you.

Sorry for the down time, but we need to get off the current server ASAP!
    Worked fine for me at 12:17 am ADT (that's 11:17 pm EDT for you grammatically challenged site owners)
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"

Thread Information