Thread: Bitterness

1. Default Bitterness

Hi, I smoked a Siglo 1 at the weekend. This usually brings nothing but smiles to my face but on this occasion the bitterness which usually only kicks in (and quite midly at that) towards the end of the smoke, started about half way through it this time.

Now this particular stick aged for about 4 months in a home made humi (Tupperware box, bit of damp cloth and regular checks) and a lovely white dusting formed on it. Having brushed it off, cut and lit the cigar I didn't notice anything unusual. The taste was exactly as it should be and I have no doubts whatsoever that the cigar came from a reputable source (Gatwick airport duty free). It looked right, tasted right for the first half then BANG! A really strong and overpowering bitterness kicked in in the middle. The biggest problem with this is that as it is already a really short smoke, I only really enjoyed no more than 8 minutes of it.

Any ideas as to what happened?

You said it had plume on it? Looks like your humidity is off.

3. Default

Surely plume is a good thing?

I don't know if it is good, but it isn't necessarily bad, it just forms when some of the tobacco's oils rise to the surface.

5. Default

Hm. I thought it was a good thing and showed that a cigar was ageing nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by Dmitri
    You said it had plume on it? Looks like your humidity is off.

Plume is a good thing , as long as you had plume and not mold.

Do you have a hygrometer in you tupperdor?

`
    `

Disclaimer: All views made on The Hugh Jorgan Show ® are the opinion of Hugh Jorgan Productions, Inc. ® and do not reflect the views of our sponsors.

7. Default

I don't I'm afraid. I think you're right. I need to get myself one. The thing is I only smoke around 2 cigars a month so never thought it worth it to buy a proper humidor. In the light of what happened on saturday I may need to invest in one.

Do you think the bitterness could be linked to humidity level? It burned perfectly though and the taste was perfect for the first half. Really odd.

Quote Originally Posted by Cohibanut
    I don't I'm afraid. I think you're right. I need to get myself one. The thing is I only smoke around 2 cigars a month so never thought it worth it to buy a proper humidor. In the light of what happened on saturday I may need to invest in one.

Do you think the bitterness could be linked to humidity level? It burned perfectly though and the taste was perfect for the first half. Really odd.

It could be a number of factors, but improper storage is the most likely reason IMO. Even if you are only smoking a few cigars a month, the cost of a hyrometer is minimal.

Western Caliber III: http://www.bargainhumidors.com/bh/Pr...d=ACC-CALIBER3
    $19.99 plus shipping

Little Havana: http://www.littlehavanacigars.com/pr...?prod=HY1062LT
    $17.95 with free shipping!

I have a number of Western Caliber II hygrometers (the older model) and have had a few issues with them. I have heard excellent things about the new Little Havana hygrometer and would probably give that a shot next.

`
    `

Disclaimer: All views made on The Hugh Jorgan Show ® are the opinion of Hugh Jorgan Productions, Inc. ® and do not reflect the views of our sponsors.

I have always used the term bloom myself. I dont think the the bitterness is connected to this anyway, I think it was probably a construction fault and something other than the best tobacco got in at some point. The thing to remember is that they are hand made and mistakes do occur, even in the production of the very best cigars.
    I found a piece of string in an HLP (while cutting, pulled it out and smoked it anyway) once.
    Did you take the cigar apart after it went out, sometimes this can be be quite enlightening.
    On the subject of 'dors, definately worth investing in something a bit more sophisticated, and I find a hygrometer is essential.
    I thought it was a tampon joke!

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Jorgan
    It could be a number of factors, but improper storage is the most likely reason IMO. Even if you are only smoking a few cigars a month, the cost of a hyrometer is minimal.

Western Caliber III: http://www.bargainhumidors.com/bh/Pr...d=ACC-CALIBER3
    $19.99 plus shipping

Little Havana: http://www.littlehavanacigars.com/pr...?prod=HY1062LT
    $17.95 with free shipping!

I have a number of Western Caliber II hygrometers (the older model) and have had a few issues with them. I have heard excellent things about the new Little Havana hygrometer and would probably give that a shot next.

Thanks for the tip!

Doesn't four months seem like way too short of time to develop bloom, but plenty of time to grow mold?

I've seen bloom in that amount of time before, remember we are talking about quality cigars here and you have to take into account the storage that occorred before they were purchased, they may have already been just on the edge of blooming. How do the other gigars in the 'dor look?

TheyCallMeManiX Guest

the bloom/plume i think was separate from the fact that you just happened to get some badly fermented tobacco leaves where the ammonia wasnt fully gone from it.

14. Default

Quote Originally Posted by PuffTheMagicDragon
    Doesn't four months seem like way too short of time to develop bloom, but plenty of time to grow mold?

Hi, it was definitely bloom. Not mold.

"the bloom/plume i think was separate from the fact that you just happened to get some badly fermented tobacco leaves where the ammonia wasnt fully gone from it."

This is a good point. Thanks.

TheyCallMeManiX Guest

you should let the dealer know, the others will have the same effect and might turn some unsuspecting people off to the cigar

Hopefully the plume wasn't really mold and that is what was causing the bitterness.

17. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TheyCallMeManiX
    you should let the dealer know, the others will have the same effect and might turn some unsuspecting people off to the cigar

I'm not sure I can I'm afraid. It was about 5 months ago at Gatwick airport so they must have got rid of their stock by now.

18. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Jonsey5484
    Hopefully the plume wasn't really mold and that is what was causing the bitterness.

I really don't think it was. It brushed off really easily and didn't look like mold at all. Mold and bloom do look diferent. And the first half of the cigar tasted as usual. Having said that, a friend of mine who had one from the same pack reported a similar problem. It may have been something to do with this particular batch.

TheyCallMeManiX Guest

i'd bet that WAS the problem . . the ammonia thing i mentioned before that is

Quote Originally Posted by TheyCallMeManiX
    i'd bet that WAS the problem . . the ammonia thing i mentioned before that is
    I have to agree with Manix, unless he's badmouthing British dealers that is

Thread Information