Thread: Overwhelmed: Please Help :)

1. Question Overwhelmed: Please Help :)

Hi everyone,

I've read this forum high and dry, visited the recommended websites and I still need help...in fact, I feel pretty overwhelmed right now :).

Just joined today and I'm seriously interested in getting started smoking / collecting cigars. Just want to do this right.

------

Goals ...I'd like the following:

1) Good Humidor (according to the posts, recommended starter is about 100 cigars)
    2) Cigar Cutter
    3) Lighter

------

Humidor:

Probably holding 100 cigars (seems to be recommended). Not interested in a Coolidor, if I get addicted (like people do on here it seems :)), I'll cross that bridge when it comes.

I looked at these sites: 'Cuban Crafters' , 'Cheap Humidors,' and 'Bargain Humidors' ...and all had interesting stuff.

I'm interested in a good quality one...partial to one that locks ...and the glass top ones look pretty neat. Any recommendations?

-------

Humidifier/Hygrometer:

Will I be ok with the one the humidifier comes with? If not, please explain exactly what I should buy in addition.

------

Cigar Cutter:

From reading this forum, it sounds like Xicar is the way to go. I'm interested in the Xi2...is this a good choice? I definitely want a guillotine cutter and liked using that type.

------

Lighter:

Sounds like any single torch lighter will be alright from reading the forums. Any particular brand anyone like? Sounds like cheap is the way to go because if it breaks, you can always buy another one :).

------

If this is too much to respond to, I'm mainly interested in hearing about the 'humidor' mostly. Thanks for reading!

2. Default

Sounds to me like you have it all figured out... :)

One thing you might consider is a digital hygrometer. I found myself so frustrated with my analog hygrometer I had to ditch it for a digital.

You definately do sound like youre on the right track and I second the digital hygrometer. You can pick one up at Radio Shack for $20. While I have a Xikar cutter any decent double bladed cutter will work. I would wait on that till you know what kind of cut you like...punch, straight or V.

The normal humidifier that comes with the box will work. Just this week I switched to beads but thats an extra and can wait.

I have only been into cigars for around 6 months and my 300 count humidor is almost full. I never thought Id fill it. Just food for thought.

4. Default

I started out with a Thompson's Classic Combo IV . For some reason, Thompson's don't seem to be very well regarded around here. Their prices are pretty high, but I've always been impressed with the quality of the products I've received and the customer service. The humidor is well constructuted, nice looking, and was big enough for my needs for quite a long time, the cigars are OK, the other items were somewhat useful. I still think this combo is a pretty good deal.

Since then, I have upgraded my ignition system with a torch lighter. I went for the 2fer 'cause I'm always loosing stuff, but I ended up giving the spare to a buddy.

Just this week, I set up a tupperdore. A large five dollar rubbermaid portion saver from the grocery store and a bag of 65% RH beads from heartfeltindustries and I'm all set. I guess my idea is to use the Thompsons humi for my daily smokes and the tupperdore for longer term storage. We'll see how that works out.

Hope this is helpful.
    Supreme Leader Voltron
    bending over and reaching for the Crisco

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by pierce652
    I would wait on that till you know what kind of cut you like...punch, straight or V.
    Very good point. For the time being, ask the shop to give you a cut. They usually have one of each cutter and are more than happy to give you a variety of cuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Corona Gigante
    Just this week, I set up a tupperdore. A large five dollar rubbermaid portion saver from the grocery store and a bag of 65% RH beads from heartfeltindustries and I'm all set. I guess my idea is to use the Thompsons humi for my daily smokes and the tupperdore for longer term storage. We'll see how that works out.

Hope this is helpful.

From what I understand, I would do things opposite. Because the tupperdore's plastic don't exchange air like the wood in a humidor would, I would use a humidor for long term storage and a tupperdore for short term. Unless you want to open that tupperdore once a week to let the gases exchange.

Sounds like you have a really good plan laid out already. Concentrate on the basic issues of mass storage and stocking your humidor(s), and worry less about the bling factor of the accessories.

Welcome to CigarSmokers!

`
    `

Disclaimer: All views made on The Hugh Jorgan Show ® are the opinion of Hugh Jorgan Productions, Inc. ® and do not reflect the views of our sponsors.

8. Default Thanks

Thanks to all for the responses! Good point Hugh....I do tend to have a problem on focusing on the little things (in this case accessories) when I should focus on the bigger ones (humidor, stocking it)....:)
    Last edited by godfather; 08-30-2005 at 12:18 PM.

Welcome to the boards!

I would suggest a coolidor right off the bat, trust me, you won't stop buying, especially once you discover CBid www.cigarbid.com . The humidity beads are the only way to go, buy a 65% 1-lb. bag. As for a cutter, I'd definitely try a few, my favorite is the punch. And, if you go higher end on the lighter (a Colibri, buy it from the eBay store mydiscountlighters), the cutter is often combined with the butane lighter. For instance, check out these lighters:

The Deuce

Tri-Cutta

The Duke

Oh yeah, if you do the coolidor now, you'll save big time because coolers are all on clearance now that summer is over. Trust me, you'll need the space. I just got a Coleman Xtreme for 20 bucks and the thing even has cup holders (works well in my small NYC Apt.).

Anyway, welcome, and remember cigars are about chillin' out, enjoying the company of your friends or a good book/movie, and relishing the taste of your fine hand-rolled tobacco art.
    "If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end; if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin, and in the end, despair." -C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Crickett
    From what I understand, I would do things opposite. Because the tupperdore's plastic don't exchange air like the wood in a humidor would, I would use a humidor for long term storage and a tupperdore for short term. Unless you want to open that tupperdore once a week to let the gases exchange.
    Well, that doesn't seem like too much work.

Thanks for the tip.
    Supreme Leader Voltron
    bending over and reaching for the Crisco

My large humidor is wood, but it doesnt seem to stay closed for more than a week or so, allways needing to refill the small one for some reason...

toledo,ohio 1440 royalton toledo oh 43612

Quote Originally Posted by godfather
    Hi everyone,

I've read this forum high and dry, visited the recommended websites and I still need help...in fact, I feel pretty overwhelmed right now :).

Just joined today and I'm seriously interested in getting started smoking / collecting cigars. Just want to do this right.

------

Goals ...I'd like the following:

1) Good Humidor (according to the posts, recommended starter is about 100 cigars)
    2) Cigar Cutter
    3) Lighter

------

Humidor:

Probably holding 100 cigars (seems to be recommended). Not interested in a Coolidor, if I get addicted (like people do on here it seems :)), I'll cross that bridge when it comes.

I looked at these sites: 'Cuban Crafters' , 'Cheap Humidors,' and 'Bargain Humidors' ...and all had interesting stuff.

I'm interested in a good quality one...partial to one that locks ...and the glass top ones look pretty neat. Any recommendations?

-------

Humidifier/Hygrometer:

Will I be ok with the one the humidifier comes with? If not, please explain exactly what I should buy in addition.

------

Cigar Cutter:

From reading this forum, it sounds like Xicar is the way to go. I'm interested in the Xi2...is this a good choice? I definitely want a guillotine cutter and liked using that type.

------

Lighter:

Sounds like any single torch lighter will be alright from reading the forums. Any particular brand anyone like? Sounds like cheap is the way to go because if it breaks, you can always buy another one :).

------

If this is too much to respond to, I'm mainly interested in hearing about the 'humidor' mostly. Thanks for reading!
    You seem pretty uptight about the whole venture,for me the whole point of smoking a cigar is enjoyment,doesn't sound very relaxing to scrutinize the most minute detail,sounds more like work
    I drink a great deal.I sleep a little,and i smoke cigar after cigar.That is why i am in two-hundred percent form
    -Winston Churchill

Sounds like you have a good handle on the basics.
    Most of this stuff is personal preference.
    Just have fun learning what you like best
    Don't worry about the mule, just load the wagon.

First get your favorite maduro. Find a nice place outside to enjoy it then quite worrying about the other stuff. If you can do the first you have already figured out how to cut it, light it and how to get the cigar in good shape to smoke.
    Good Luck. I live out of a small humidor and sampler packs but I see a coolidor in my future.
    Remember to breathe

15. Default Good Advice

Quote Originally Posted by SuperChuck
    For the time being, ask the shop to give you a cut. They usually have one of each cutter and are more than happy to give you a variety of cuts.
    Hey SuperChuck,

This was really great advice! When I've gone into the smoke shop and asked for a cut... I've tried the punch and guillotine cuts so far (haven't tried the v-cut yet). I'm really liking the punch cut so far. Thanks again.

You'll be fine, man. Just don't stress if your humidity level isnt EXACTLY where you want it, Don't smoke too fast, and most importantly - Don't put a once-lit stogie back into your humidor!

I wish you many fine smokes in the future.
    With glasses high, we raised a cry - freedom had arrived

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Yeagermeister
    You'll be fine, man. Just don't stress if your humidity level isnt EXACTLY where you want it, Don't smoke too fast, and most importantly - Don't put a once-lit stogie back into your humidor!

I wish you many fine smokes in the future.
    HEY Yeager!!!

Another country not heard from in a while

Glad you're back

You missed all the fun like an opportunity to enter in Scotty's 1000th post contest
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

I'm gonna chime in here to recommend CubanCrafters... they have a decent selection of humis and the prices aren't bad. Shipping is quick and craftsmanship is as good as I've seen (even better than some of the expensive humis at the local shop) I'll also go ahead and recommend looking at something a bit larger, as the number of cigars a box will hold will vary depending on the size of the sticks. My 100 ct. is almost full and there are prolly less than 80 cigars in it. But then again, I like the big rings too.
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't.

The crystals are a good way to go. You don't have to get hung up on hygrometers because the crystals shrink when drying. When you fill the tube they expand. As you smoke you will get a feel for a cigar that is too wet; Uneven burns loss of smoke compared to previously smoked ones of the same kind. When wet open the humidor for awhile and enjoy the aroma. When dry keep a closer eye on your crystals expansion and shrinkage. Also you are better off with two. One for longer term storage, and one for more frequent opening. Also keep the short term one stocked with a diversity of cigars to encourage yourself to rotate your smokes. I don't buy boxes often. I keep my wood one (40 or so) ready for anything and a small cooler (50)with a crystals tube to stabalize the babies and allow them to age well.

As far as a lighter goes we have a shop in town that gives away butanes just for walking in the place so I'm no help there.

I like the $5.00 large ring guage double bladed cutter. I also have a $2.00 key ring punch cutter both available on E-Bay.

Welcome aboard and good luck
    Remember to breathe

Thread Information