Thread: Punch vs Cutter

Default Punch vs Cutter

My friends and i tried out a little 4 dollar cigar punch this evening and i gotta say i'm a big fan now. So why is it that some punches sell for like 15-20 dollars? what makes them so much better
    and what do you all prefer Punch or Cutter
    and for future reference how do i get a poll to work on the forum

Price depends on quality, design, how much the retailers think they can make off you. I perfer a cutter myself, most of the time I just use a razor blade to remove the cap though.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowerider
    My friends and i tried out a little 4 dollar cigar punch this evening and i gotta say i'm a big fan now. So why is it that some punches sell for like 15-20 dollars? what makes them so much better
    and what do you all prefer Punch or Cutter
    and for future reference how do i get a poll to work on the forum

To a point the more you spend the better punch you will get. But in the end, it is like everything else, you end up paying for a name or style. My $2 punch that is on my keychain works great for me, so that is what I will stick with.

Some better punches are sharper. I have a nicer one and a really cheap one. The cheap model is not as good at cutting due to the dull blade.

As for my preference . . . itr really depends on the cigar and what the cap looks like. Smaller cigars with flatter caps get the punch because it is too hard form me to not cut too much. Larger cigars and those smaller ones with a more pronounced and rounder cap will generally get the cutter.
    Let us so live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry. - - Mark Twain

The big difference you'll see between cheap and less cheap punches is that, the more expensive ones are one solid cylinder of metal, with no overlapping or welding. These are the best because they will cut more precisely every time. They also will stay sharper longer. Punches that are a piece of metal wrapped around itself in a circle have an overlap, and this part of the punch tends to be the dullest. I would spring for the more expensive punch, in fact, buy either the Colibri Tri-Cutta lighter (has three different punch sizes) or the Colibri Deuce (a punch and guillotine in one). That way, you only have to carry one accessory. Anyway, don't skimp on a punch if you're a punch fan, get one that is a solid cast piece of metal.
    "If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end; if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin, and in the end, despair." -C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

TheyCallMeManiX Guest

i used to have the 2 dollar punch on my keychain but that didnt last very long.it fell apart and i lost one of the pieces . . . ugh, what a mess .. .

i know stick to my prefered method which is the built in flip out punch on my collibri. gotta take that with me anyway, this way i have two things in one package. i love it

Blog Entries

The Xikar 007 is my new best friend. Its a pretty bad ass punch cutter. I use the punch cut on most of the non Torpedo/Belicoso cigars I smoke.
    Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. -- Carl Sagan

I like the punch for the smaller more flat ended cigars like the Bolivar PCs. Big ones don't seem to get as good of a draw sometimes with a punch.

Quote Originally Posted by hex1848
    The Xikar 007 is my new best friend. Its a pretty bad ass punch cutter. I use the punch cut on most of the non Torpedo/Belicoso cigars I smoke.
    How do you punched your torps Hex? Through the tip or along the round?

`
    `

Disclaimer: All views made on The Hugh Jorgan Show ® are the opinion of Hugh Jorgan Productions, Inc. ® and do not reflect the views of our sponsors.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Jorgan
    How do you punched your torps Hex? Through the tip or along the round?

I don't think you can get a good punch cut on a Torpedo. I use the punch cut for just about everything that does not have a pointed end.
    Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. -- Carl Sagan

I've V-Cut torpedos.... i'll try the punch on the next torpedo i can

TheyCallMeManiX Guest

yeah, lol good luck with THAT
    Last edited by TheyCallMeManiX; 09-01-2005 at 09:00 AM.

Just be a real man and take a big bite out of it and spit it out then say "GARR!" like a pirate.

14. Default

It depends on the cigar, but I tend to prefer a good cutter.

Thread Information