Thread: Idiots Guide To Cigars

Default Idiots Guide To Cigars

Hey Ggiese, I wish I wasn't such a newbie so I could stir poopy too!
    I was wondering if anybody has read the Idiots Guide and has anything good or bad to say about it. I am about halfway through it right now. Personally, I have noticed that it was written 8 years ago, and that some of the stuff written in the book might be slightly outdated, but overall, a great read for me so far.

(Also notice that I have deleted that obscene, exact count of the cigars that contain my meager collection.)
    Last edited by TheVitaleMob; 09-05-2005 at 03:28 AM. Reason: Me and my big mouth using too many commas.
    "I reject your reality and substitute my own."

Pomegranates: 0
    Funky Chickens: 2

Quote Originally Posted by TheVitaleMob
    I was wondering if anybody has read the Idiots Guide and has anything good or bad to say about it. I am about halfway through it right now. Personally, I have noticed that it was written 8 years ago, and that some of the stuff written in the book might be slightly outdated, but overall, a great read for me so far.

(Also notice that I have deleted that obscene, exact count of the cigars that contain my meager collection.)
    Just finished reading it...yep, some of it's outdated...but overall, a lot of great info there...

Quote Originally Posted by TheVitaleMob

That's Scotty's bible - 'nuff said...

All those that have read this book do me a favor. PLEASE - do NOT start doing reviews of cigars solely based on what you read in that book... 'kay??? Thanks!

I read it when I first started smoking about nine months ago. It's a decent primer, it teaches you enough so you don't sound completely ignorant but it really only scratches the surface of this hobby.
    There's only two kinds of cigars, the kind you like and the kind you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese
    That's Scotty's bible - 'nuff said...

All those that have read this book do me a favor. PLEASE - do NOT start doing reviews of cigars solely based on what you read in that book... 'kay??? Thanks!
    No Problem!! No Scotty Here. I've read some of the backed posts, so I have seen some of the history with Mr. SFG. I usually do my reviewing with a pencil and paper, and transfer it to my cigar diary on my computer. I am a fan of "smoke what you like", and I know that people's tastes are different, so I know my review wouldn't really help too many people.

Like CNB said, I can tell it's a good primer. When you get right down to it, nothing compares to self experience when you decide for yourself if you like the cigar or not.

Anybody else have experience with this book?
    "I reject your reality and substitute my own."

Pomegranates: 0
    Funky Chickens: 2

I used my friends copy as a coaster while we had beer and Black Pearls. It worked well and I would suggest the La Perla anytime.
    Remember to breathe

7. Default

Heh, turns out I do have this book...

I thought it was pretty good. Obviously a little dated, but I didn't think ALL that much has changed in the last 8 years...

Has anyone read both? How does the Dummies book compare? (I find the Dummies series to be VERY hit or miss)

I dont read books that assume I'm an idiot.

Thread Information