Thread: how to use a punch

Default how to use a punch

ok, i just bought a cheap punch cutter and i'm not quite sure how to use it. am i just supposed to push it in the end of the cigar or push and twist? and if twist, does it matter what direction, ie clockwise or counter-clockwise?
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,
    and I'm not sure about the former." -
    Albert Einstein

If it is very sharp, light pressure with a slight twist will sink it in nicely. If it is not so sharp like mine, you will have to use an almost sawing motion, twisting back and forth.....not good for the cap of the cigar. Hum......guess it is time I get a new punch, aye?

I've had some caps split on me when using a punch, so I find that if you must twist, do so in the same direction that the cap was applied. This can help prevent splits and tears. And a split cap basically ruins a cigar for me... can't stand trying to smoke one like that.
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't.

I don't use a punch hardly ever. It's too hard for my big hands not to split the cap.

it's best to get as sharp a punch as possible...I get rid of mine if they are too dull. I always use a twisting motion, and as little pressure as possible, let the blade do the work. With a dull blade, I found that moistening the cap a little can keep it from splitting.

TheyCallMeManiX Guest

all very good pointers . . . twisting a bit and light pressure and wet the cap a bit . . . and of course, if its dull you need a new one

here's MY specific problem(i'll post here since it might help others as well to get this answered) . . . what if you have a punch blade on/as part of your lighter???

i cant throw it all out obviously(its a good lighter-expensive too) should i get this proffesionaly sharpened or try it myself? i obviously have to sharpen it as opposed to throwing it away since its attached.

another thing, why do these things go dull? its not like they are cutting something too detrimental(sp?) to the blade. anyway, so yeah . . . what do you guys think?

Quote Originally Posted by TheyCallMeManiX
    all very good pointers . . . twisting a bit and light pressure and wet the cap a bit . . . and of course, if its dull you need a new one

here's MY specific problem(i'll post here since it might help others as well to get this answered) . . . what if you have a punch blade on/as part of your lighter???

i cant throw it all out obviously(its a good lighter-expensive too) should i get this proffesionaly sharpened or try it myself? i obviously have to sharpen it as opposed to throwing it away since its attached.

another thing, why do these things go dull? its not like they are cutting something too detrimental(sp?) to the blade. anyway, so yeah . . . what do you guys think?
    I would say don't try to sharpen it yourself...most of the built-in's I have seen don't have much room for error if you screw it up. (I decided against a Colibri because I figured it would be too much trouble once the blade dulled)

I would look around for a knife shop or something that can sharpen it for you. There are places that specialize in sharpening (my wife is a hairstylist and has a some pretty high-dollar scissors and blades that she only has sharpened by someone who knows what they are doing).

Just my opinion.....

Quote Originally Posted by TheyCallMeManiX

Who makes it? I know Colibri will swap it out for ya. pretty sure other companies will to. Contact the maker of the lighter.

TheyCallMeManiX Guest

its a collibri. i will try contacting them

thanks by the way

thanks for the replies. so just slight pressure and a little twist. i should be able to do that.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,
    and I'm not sure about the former." -
    Albert Einstein

arent there high quality punch cutters out there that wont dull so easily? I always see advertisements for these "indullible" kitchen knives. Why are these cutters seeming to dull so quickly?
    With glasses high, we raised a cry - freedom had arrived

I know that Xikar makes a punch. You can find them for about $20 on eBay and other places. I don't have one...YET. I'm really thinking about getting one, because my Colibri punch is getting a bit dull. I have to wet the cap and do a lot of twisting to get the job done right. I've also split my fair share of caps, so it's about time for me to get a new punch!

Anybody own the Xikar punch? If so, what do you think of it?

Thread Information