Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cigar Order

Default Cigar Order

Just placed a cigar order with CigarsInternational. I purchased:

- Series '55' by Victor Sinclair Mega-Sampler
    6 - Series '55' Cameroon Toro (6" x 50)
    6 - Series '55' Corojo Toro (6" x 50)
    6 - Series '55' Oscuro Toro (6" x 50)
    6 - Series '55' Sun Grown Toro (6" x 50)
    - 5 Vegas Gold Toro's (Box of 20) + Freebie (which is:)
    2- 5 Vegas
    2- 5 Vegas Gold
    2- 5 Vegas Limitada '05
    2- 5 Vegas Series 'A'
    - Don Salvatore Digital Hygrometer (For the humi I am building)
    - 2 4oz. HUMI-CARE Crystal Gel Humidification (Also for the new Humi)

I also called the cigar shop that I found in Naples, FL to order a box of Reo by Rocky Patel.

Plus, I just went over the weekend to Home Depot to buy the supplies needed for my humidor. I am building a 16 1/2" Wide X 11 3/4" Deep X 16 1/4" High Foot Locker humidor. It will be used to store the boxes of cigars that I just ordered and I am sure many more!! I am going to store them temporarily in a coolidor until my humi is finished.

My wife is going to kill me!! I better make up my will now. Who wants to be willed all of these cigars that I just purchased!?!?!?!?!

I am willing to take the influx of homeless cigars as my own. The things I do for people.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Jonsey5484
    My wife is going to kill me!! I better make up my will now. Who wants to be willed all of these cigars that I just purchased!?!?!?!?!
    I'll take the hygrometer.

"Don Kiki" (AKA rpb67) might want the 55s and the 5 Vegases in order to exhange them for CAOs and Fuentes in a Pass It Forward pass.

I'm being sarcastic (bad habit). Those aren't terrible smokes, in fact I got a couple of those with the Otterox I purchased from CBid (CI's auction site), but you might want to experiment with a wider range. Try to find a newbie sampler trade, or even put your mailing address in your profile and someone might ...

Oh, your mailing address is in your profile!

And you're an emergency first responder...

Hmmmm...
    Last edited by Corona Gigante; 09-19-2005 at 01:35 PM.
    Supreme Leader Voltron
    bending over and reaching for the Crisco

Default Jonsey!!!!

I hope you bought SPANISH cedar to use as a liner and NOT white or red aromatic cedar that is usually used for closets and chests. Aromatic cedar will ruin yuor cigars.

I only comment since the HD's near me DO NOT sell SPANISH cedar

Yeah, I went to HD and they had no idea what they were talking about. I am not finished with the humi yet, but, I have a couple of places I found to order spanish cedar from once I get to that point.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Jonsey5484

Ah, but the feeling you get when you've purchased some good cigars, your hygrometer is calibrated and your humidor is at your 'ideal temp' ...it's so cool :). Just tell your wife it's an 'investment' and they will keep for a while.

Whatever you do though, stay away from cigarbid.com ....or she might very well kill you. You have been warned

You tell your wife to call me and I will be happy to disperse the forbidden cigars on this board. Minus those that may be damaged or deemed to be of poor quality for this lofty group.
    Remember to breathe

You can use any kid of wood as long as you seal it right.

Has anybody tried the 5 vegas? It seems like CI is pushing that brand pretty hard, so makes me a little skeptic. Plus the name "5 vegas" turns me away from it for some reason. So I may be missing a good cigar, or not.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TheSilentChamber
    You can use any kid of wood as long as you seal it right.
    I understood that the reason humidors are lined with cedar, and cigars are shipped in cedar boxes, and some cigars are sold en cedro (wrapped in cedar), is because some people enjoy the aroma of Spanish cedar to permeate the cigar. Doesn't sealing the wood defaet the purpose of using Spanish cedar?

Quote Originally Posted by QuietC
    Has anybody tried the 5 vegas? It seems like CI is pushing that brand pretty hard, so makes me a little skeptic. Plus the name "5 vegas" turns me away from it for some reason. So I may be missing a good cigar, or not.
    The search button is your friend

5 Vegasl
    Last edited by Corona Gigante; 09-20-2005 at 09:21 AM.
    Supreme Leader Voltron
    bending over and reaching for the Crisco

bigpoppapuff Guest

5 vegas...is pronounced "cinco vegas".....when the cigar first came out,it featured tobacco from 5 farms....or,cinco vegas.....

re: wood for a humidor...spanish cedar or mahogany can be used...silent chamber...basically,you're wrong...but i don't have the energy to argue with you....it's not just about the "seal".....

Spanish cedar can also protect against tabaco beetle (the smell repels them?) and acts as a humidity buffer.
    I thought it was a tampon joke!

bigpoppapuff Guest

humidor
    A humidor is any kind of box or room with constant humidity (and often, temperature as well). Humidors are usually used to store cigars. For private use, small wooden or acrylic glass humidor boxes for a few dozen cigars are appropriate, while cigar shops often have walk-in humidors, sometimes covering a whole floor. Humidors of all sizes use hygrometers to keep track of the humidity levels.

Quick tips to maintain your humidor. Get one that has Spanish cedar, or get some for any plastic humidors that you may be using. You don't have to buy any, cigar shops should have some cedar blocks that come with most cigar boxes. They are usually thrown away since they have little use to the cigar shop after the box has been sold. Spanish cedar is good to have while aging your cigars for three reasons. The cedar holds more moisture than most woods, it will help you maintain your humidity. Second, the cedar aroma will impart itself on your cigars if you age them long enough. That is also why some cigars are wrapped in cedar planks when you buy them. The blender knows that this will give his cigars an extra deminsion in flavor. Last, the sap of the Spanish cedar wood repels tobacco beetles. These pinhead sized bugs can eat through cigars like a buffet. Another way to combat these beetles is to make sure your humidor does not get hotter that 75 degrees F. The beetles will hatch at around 80 degrees F.

If you have trouble keeping your humidor around 70% humidity, the ideal level, then try to fill your box close to the rim. You can either get more cigars or as above, get some Spanish cedar blocks. They will help take up space and age your cigars. The more empty space exists in your humidor, the faster your humidification device will dry out.

Each humidor has to be seasoned after being bought or having been dry for a while. Take a moist cloth and wipe down the interior to remove any dust. Then place a shot glass or an container of similar size in the humidor and fill it with water. Keep the humidor closed overnight. If the water is gone or mostly gone, then repeat for another 24 hours. When it seems as thougth the humidor is not absorbing anymore humidity, you can place your cigars in the humidor. Remember, your humidifying element or "sponge" does not keep the cigars moist. The wood in the humidor does that. The humidifying element keeps the wood itself moist. If you have dry cedar in your humidor, then you will have dry cigars also.

toledo,ohio 1440 royalton toledo oh 43612

Quote Originally Posted by QuietC
    I got a couple 5 packs from cbid,for the price i was very suprised,paid about a dollar a stick,a lot more flavor than i expected,by no means a great cigar ,but for the price worth a try
    I drink a great deal.I sleep a little,and i smoke cigar after cigar.That is why i am in two-hundred percent form
    -Winston Churchill

I like having the cheaper smokes around for when I have friends over. I am not going to pay $5 for a cigar for them not to thouroghly enjoy it. I have some Churchill Deluxes by Caribe. I give these as handouts to freeloaders. I will smoke one every once in a while. Especially if I am out golfing. The 5 Vegas Gold are on the cheaper side of cigars, $2.75/cigar. They will also make good handout cigars.

Quote Originally Posted by bigpoppapuff

re: wood for a humidor...spanish cedar or mahogany can be used...silent chamber...basically,you're wrong...but i don't have the energy to argue with you....it's not just about the "seal".....

I'm not talking about how the lid seals, I'm talking about sealing the wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Corona Gigante
    I understood that the reason humidors are lined with cedar, and cigars are shipped in cedar boxes, and some cigars are sold en cedro (wrapped in cedar), is because some people enjoy the aroma of Spanish cedar to permeate the cigar. Doesn't sealing the wood defaet the purpose of using Spanish cedar?

5 Vegasl
    Yes, but I'm willing to bet that if a blind taiste test was done nobody would be able to tell the differnce. Such as lighting it with a Zippo. If your adding the element of ceder doesnt it become a flavored cigar .

I was at the local retailers convention here in Calgary this weekend. I saw a whole bunch of Zino humidors. All over priced, ranging from $300 to $1500 !! And I was surprised to learn they don't line any of their humidors with Spanish cedar....

Personally I prefer a Spanish cedar lined Humidor but if Zino is making them without, and charging exuberant prices, well there must be a reason
    "smoking is one of the greatest and cheapest enjoyments in life,
    and if you decide in advance not to smoke, I can only feel sorry for you."-Sigmund Freud

"The problem with the world is that we draw the circle of our family too small" - Mother Teresa

“The basic difference between an ordinary man and a warrior is that a warrior takes everything as a challenge while an ordinary man takes everything either as a blessing or a curse” – Carlos Casteneda

Oh, and they are just 50 to 150 count humi's
    "smoking is one of the greatest and cheapest enjoyments in life,
    and if you decide in advance not to smoke, I can only feel sorry for you."-Sigmund Freud

"The problem with the world is that we draw the circle of our family too small" - Mother Teresa

“The basic difference between an ordinary man and a warrior is that a warrior takes everything as a challenge while an ordinary man takes everything either as a blessing or a curse” – Carlos Casteneda

bigpoppapuff Guest

"The cedar holds more moisture than most woods, it will help you maintain your humidity. Second, the cedar aroma will impart itself on your cigars if you age them long enough. That is also why some cigars are wrapped in cedar planks when you buy them"......

i'm told that mahogany also works.....many companies are cutting back on the use of spanish cedar...two reasons...scarcity and very high prices....

many cigar stores are using spanish cedar for the walls of their humidors...but are using mahogany for the shelves.....this cuts down on the cost of the humidor......other cedars cannot be used because of the too strong cedar aroma......

Thread Information