Thread: Are there any lighters that are really wind resistant?

1. Default Are there any lighters that are really wind resistant?

I'm in the market for a good lighter, here are some questions about lighters.

1. What does SST ignition or lighter mean?

2. When they mean wind resistant it seems that I can blow out the flame with a gentle blow from my mouth, so why are they calling it wind resistant?

3. Is there a true wind resistant lighter out there?

4. There is fuel window on my lighter, it seems like every time I try to refill my lighter I can never get the fuel near the top of the window why?

5. I try to set the flame adjustment towards the middle or -, but it won't fire up unless I adjust the flame towards all the way to the +, I'm trying to control or conserve on how much fuel I'm using. Why is that?

6. What is the best lighter in the $75.00-$100.00 range?

7. What are your opinions on the Colibri Executive triple flame lighter?
    Last edited by cgr&guns; 10-09-2005 at 07:28 PM.

1. Its the type of ignitor that makes a small spark as opposed to a flint type.

2. I dont think there is a standard measurment of "wind resistance" so I guess you would have to ask the company that one.

3. Torch lighters are about the most wind resistant lighters on the market. Zippos are also pretty wind resistant but are pretty useless when the wind is blowing.

4. You need to bleed the air out of it. To do this- when it is empty take something and push down on the valve where you fill it and let all the air out.

5. See question #4.

You have three question 5's, but you should be able to get a good lighter for less than 75$, and yes Colibri makes very good lighters.

bigpoppapuff Guest

there are many good torch lighters...colbri,prometheus,xikar (it's new)and other names such as lucienne,solo,tiger,and nibo.........but none will work right unless you use only the best butane....and bleed the damn things EVERY time you refill......

Sir,If you go to the Walden flea market to the guy that sells all the pot bongs and pipes you can get a good triple flame torch lighter for $10 or less I have 3 of them for over 3 years now with no problems!!!
    "If it Bleeds We can Kill it"

Get yourself a Brunton Firelight. It's supposed to be for lighting campfires, is very small and compact and will stand up to very high winds. I got mine on ebay.
    There's only two kinds of cigars, the kind you like and the kind you don't.

Colibri Trifecta - Triple Flame SST...I have one and love it...they come up for auction on ebay and cbid...you can usually get one for about $50...straight retail price on them is $100 but who pays retail...

My ST Dupont Xtend has performed flawless for me so far
    "smoking is one of the greatest and cheapest enjoyments in life,
    and if you decide in advance not to smoke, I can only feel sorry for you."-Sigmund Freud

"The problem with the world is that we draw the circle of our family too small" - Mother Teresa

“The basic difference between an ordinary man and a warrior is that a warrior takes everything as a challenge while an ordinary man takes everything either as a blessing or a curse” – Carlos Casteneda

A torch lighter would be the best lighter to use in the wind. You will still have to shelter it somewhat from the wind to get it lit, but, it way stay lit so much easier than matches or just a bic lighter.

Quote Originally Posted by Neuromancer
    Colibri Trifecta - Triple Flame SST...I have one and love it...they come up for auction on ebay and cbid...you can usually get one for about $50...straight retail price on them is $100 but who pays retail...

Yep, i have one of those too, and no wind has yet been able to blow it out. Plus it lights your sticks really fast.
    There's only two kinds of cigars, the kind you like and the kind you don't.

Yeah, torch lighters are the best for wind-resistance. I have a Solo Laser Tech. It's made for lighting cigars, and I've had it going on 2 years now, and the thing's never gave me trouble. I went swimming, and didn't realize the thing was in my pocket, and after letting it dry, it still lit right up, with no problems, I've even lit up outside during a hurricane, and it only took a few "clicks", then once it was lit, it didn't go out. This lighter Rocks! and you can even brag about it having a 3700 F flame. Also, Solo has a lifetime warrantee, and a 1/2 cost lifetime replacement policy (and comes with a really nice, custom-fit leather sleeve to boot). All in all, I think that the torch lighter will be your best bet (and the abovementioned Laser Tech is only $31.25 from Solo) so torches are nice, and won't break the bank.

Get a $10 colibri firebird lighter.

FlyingBanana Guest

Default Brunton Firelight

So...who is using the Brunton at this point in time? How is it holding up? How do you adjust the flame?....ie tiny screw or easy to turn knob...etc. Any issues with it such as not as powerful as claimed, defects etc? Lemme know, I think I like this one, but I'm just not 100% sure yet.

Flying

Thread Information