Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pronunciations?

Default Pronunciations?

I dont speak spanish, and as most of the names in cigars are spanish I sometimes have difficulty figuring out how to say the names- and I'm sure I'm not the only one with this problem. Is there a list anywhere that has a breakdown of how to say some of the names (or tell how to read them in general)?

Do like me. Just pronounce "J" like "H", and then keep the cigar in your mouth while talking to cover up any other errors.
    "There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar. " -Prince Sined Yar Maharg

Recent conversation:

"What are you smoking?"

Me: ""Thiz iv a Royal Hamaican"

"You're smoking ham and bacon?! Get that cigar out of your mouth when you're talking"
    "There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar. " -Prince Sined Yar Maharg

bigpoppapuff Guest

oliva........oh-leave-uh
    torano......to-ron-yo
    fuente......fwen-tay
    perdomo...purr-doh-mo
    criollo...cree-ohl-yo

any others??......just ask

5. Default

Cohiba?

bigpoppapuff Guest

cohiba........ko-heeb-uh

Is Padron pronounced P-ay-dron or P-ah-dron?

bigpoppapuff Guest

pah-drone

reaganyouth84 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mazeman
    Is Padron pronounced P-ay-dron or P-ah-dron?
    I can remember when I went to the shop to buy my first Padron, I kept calling it a Pardon. Everytime I had seen them I thought the "R" was in front of the "D" not after it, haha. Apparently im dislexic. No wonder the guy that was working at the shop that day looked at me like I was stoopid.

-Mike
    Last edited by reaganyouth84; 10-20-2005 at 12:26 PM.

10. Default

Do like me. Just pronounce "J" like "H", and then keep the cigar in your mouth while talking to cover up any other errors.
    Recent conversation:

"What are you smoking?"

Me: ""Thiz iv a Royal Hamaican"

"You're smoking ham and bacon?! Get that cigar out of your mouth when you're talking"

LMAO!!!!!

How bout Corojo? and Siglo?
    "Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar."
    -- Mark Twain

bigpoppapuff Guest

Quote Originally Posted by centurycigar
    How bout Corojo? and Siglo?

ka-roho......sig-lo.....

Quote Originally Posted by reaganyouth84
    I can remember when I went to the shop to buy my first Padron, I kept calling it a Pardon. Everytime I had seen them I thought the "R" was in front of the "D" not after it, haha. Apparently im dislexic. No wonder the guy that was working at the shop that day looked at me like I was stoopid.

-Mike
    Don't feel bad. Our previous cigar manager always promounced "Caribe" the makers of Camacho, as carbee. Juan Lopez was Jan Lops, and Oliva was Olivia (with an extra I). Perdomo Cuban Parejo was "pay-ho", and Drew Estate was Drew Escape. Needless to say we all had fun with those.

Me ? I never mispronunciate anythang.
    Gary Griffith
    Humidor Manager

Cigar-ette City

Email here

Spanish is actually easier than english to speak. A few things you need to know....A is pronounced like awesome, E is pronounced excellent, I is pronounced like "eeeeeee" in Igor, O is pronouced like tone, U is pronounced like Houston. A LL is pronouced with a "ya" instead of the conventional L sound. For instance, bella is pronounced, Be-ya. The H is silent, and the J is prounounced like an english H. Japan is pronounced "Hapan".
    Cohiba in english tranlation - Co He Ba
    Cohiba in spanish translation - Co I Ba, like Co - eeeeeeeeeeeeeeee - ba
    Sorry if that is confusing, it is easier to say the sounds than write them.
    Corojo
    English is Co - ro - ho
    The thing about Spanish is that the sounds do not ever change, like A in apple and awesome have different sounds. The A in Spanish will always have the "Awesome" sound.
    Last edited by cls515; 10-20-2005 at 02:27 PM.

Dumb, but serious question:
    I always assumed Opus X is prounounced Opus "ex"
    I have a friend who says it's Opus "ten"
    Who's right?

What about partagas? Is it par ta gas or par ta ga with the s being silent?

I have always understood it to be Opus X. I don't know, though. As far as the pronunciation of Partagas, the s is not silent. I can only think of the H being silent.
    Par - ta - gas

bigpoppapuff Guest

opus x is opus ex.....5 vegas is cinco vegas....

i've always heard the partagas sales people pronounce it par-ta-gas......though i've heard the cuban pronounciation is a little different...

Great, alot of usefull stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by bigpoppapuff
    ka-roho......sig-lo.....
    is that sig like cigarette or sig like seeg? isn't 'i' in spanish an ee sound?

Thread Information