Thread: Dryness (or dryity, for you science folk ;)).

Default Dryness (or dryity, for you science folk ;)).

Can I ask you guys a personal question? Here goes:

My cigars, all in the same humi, yet some are more stiff than others. In fact, some can be depressed deeply and they will come back up; these are my spongy cigars. Others, they won't depress at all. They are firm. Others, are like the firm ones I mentioned, but slightly more stiff. I was squeezing my Don Diego and the wrapper cracked near the cap :(.

What's preferable? Spongy or stiffer? Do cigars HAVE to be spongy to be at right moisture? That's what my local shop owner suggested - sponginess.

And now, a concern. Cellos my friends, do they not prevent the exchange of moisture significantly? After all, it prevents marriage, so it must prevent the atmosphere from mixing? ? ? I have spongy and stiff cello'd cigars. Aren't my stiffer ones destined to be dried out, while the spongy to be forever too moist to smoke?

bigpoppapuff Guest

i have more than 5000 cigars...if they have cello when i get 'em...the cello stays on....

2 things: 1) marriage is a myth according to most Cigar types.

2) Poppa puff, when are we all partying at your place with your 5000 cigars?
    "If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end; if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin, and in the end, despair." -C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

I like firm cigars. But its got to do more with the way it was rolled than the humidity more than likely.

Provided they're allowed to settle in your humidor for a while, the difference in "sponginess" you feel may be due more to how they're made/rolled. It's unlikely that some are really moister than others, just rolled with different tightness.
    "There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar. " -Prince Sined Yar Maharg

I don't like too stiff of a cigar. I think this is more an issue of the rolling job than humidity. Over time, the cigars will adjust to the humidity of your humidor. Some say that one week is long enough to acclimate the cigars, but I found two weeks is minimum. I'm not one to discredit Poppapuff, but if it were me, I'd take the cello off. But my sticks don't last more than a couple of months inside my humidor and I'm not worried about it.

Thread Information