Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Review These!!

Default Review These!!

OK, I've decided to try and combine a cigar pass with an opportunity for us "experts" to blindly review cigars. After a little discussion in the "Cigars" section of the forum, some people suggested more of a group-herf/review, while others seemed to prefer the linear pass (sort of like the "Free Cigars" thread). Since the opinions seemed split, I'll stick with my original idea, and we can see how it goes.

So here are the rules:
    1) I'll start the pass by offering two cigars for review.
    2) The "winner" will be the first to claim the cigars, and I'll mail them to him/her.
    3) The cigars in the pass will have their bands/labels removed. It will be a blind review. But somehow, they should be clearly and unmistakably marked #1 and #2. Maybe seperate bags or temporary bands.
    4) Upon receipt, the winner will sample both cigars and review each within a "reasonable" time. He can smoke them side-by-side, or in any order he wishes. Reviews can be as short (one word; "UGH"), or as long as you wish. The reviewer should then also guess which is the more expensive smoke.
    5) Once the winner's reviews are posted on this thread, the sender will reveal the identity of cigars #1 and #2. So he also needs to remember what he sent and what their numbers were.
    6) After reviewing the cigars, the winner should then offer up two of his own for the next lucky reviewer by posting "Review These!"

For a compilation of the reviews, also see the thread Review These-Reviews

As for the cigars.....

One should be a more common ($2-3 ish range) smoke, the other should be more premium ($8 and up, the sky's the limit). I would stay away from huge cigars since some people may smoke both in one day to compare. Flavored cigars are "allowed", but knowing the feelings of most forum members about these, you might be taking a risk.

As always, good communication about addresses, expected delivery, etc is important. And it's very important that both the sender and winner keep track of the identity of cigars #1 and #2.

By doing this, I guess we risk some embarassment, but we might also hone our abilities to discern the nuances of a fine smoke. Alright people, let's put our taste buds (and reputations) where our mouths are (or something like that)! Who wants to......

REVIEW THESE!!!
    Last edited by Mazeman; 10-29-2005 at 03:11 PM.
    "There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar. " -Prince Sined Yar Maharg

I'll review 'em.... Will PM my address.

Quote Originally Posted by Shagaroo
    They're yours.
    Once I get your address, I'll send them out tomorrow and PM you any related info (tracking, etc).

Enjoy!
    "There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar. " -Prince Sined Yar Maharg

This should be cool.
    I thought it was a tampon joke!

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by stjohnroe
    This should be cool.
    Yeah, this sounds like a LOT of fun... So hurry up Shagaroo, I want to play! :)

sounds like a fun idea.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,
    and I'm not sure about the former." -
    Albert Einstein

They were shipped today. You should get them Friday.
    I PM'd you the shipping info.
    Enjoy!
    Last edited by Mazeman; 10-26-2005 at 03:19 PM.

And we're off...........

Raisins: + 12 1/2
    Termites: 5.56

you may want to think about some other way of numbering them. maybe something like:
    if mazeman sends the sticks, call them m1 and m2 for the purposes of the board. if this thread starts getting full and the pass/reviews start to overlap, it will be hard to tell which which #1 went with which review. just a thought.

I'm with Drake, this is going to get confusing quick. Maby a seperate thread that has all the reviews, along with what cigars they were.

13. Default

Hmmmm.... I'd suggest starting a new thread in the reviews section like "Mystery Cigars from TheSilentChamber". That should give plenty of room for reviews, comments, reveals, and persuant laughter when someone ranks a dog as a great cigar....

Well Shagaroo will review the two cigars I sent him, and I'll reveal their identities immediately. Then, on to the next.
    If this becomes confusing, I can compile a separate thread with the results/reviews.

I'm guessing it wouldnt be very nice to send two of the same cigar and see if they rated them differnt

my vote is having seperate threads for the cigars. it will make finding the reviews a whole lot easier.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,
    and I'm not sure about the former." -
    Albert Einstein

Both sticks arrived in great shape and are resting comfortably in my humidor. I will enjoy one this evening and the other tomorrow and should have the reviews up by Sunday. Or maybe sooner. Or maybe later. You never know. You guys better just stay logged on for the next 72 hours so you don't miss those magic words....

18. Default

sumbitch... I saw you were the last poster on this thread and got all excited

Both sticks arrived in great shape and are resting comfortably in my humidor. I will enjoy one this evening and the other tomorrow and should have the reviews up by Sunday. Or maybe sooner. Or maybe later. You never know. You guys better just stay logged on for the next 72 hours so you don't miss those magic words....
    Glad they made it safely.
    I'll be poised to reveal their identities.
    Hope you enjoy...

Thread Information