Thread: Health Risk...

1. Default Health Risk...

Which is safer cigars, or cigarettes?

~Sonny~

IMO........ cigars

Cigarettes contain chemically processed tobacco. Alot of chemicals are added to cigarettes.

Cigarette additives

What amazes me is that the FDA has approved all of the additives in cigarettes. The are "proven safe" for human consumption. The have never been tested while burning.

Can anybody let us know if any chemicals are added to cigar tobacco.
    Last edited by Bkcloud114; 12-12-2005 at 01:45 AM.
    I'm not big on doing reviews, tobacco doesn't taste like "cocoa" or "nutty" or "mocha" to me, it tastes like freakin' TOBACCO. I know what I like and I really don't care what other people think of other cigars. I've never read a review and said to myself "Wow, that sounds like a cigar I'd like to try!"

Well, it's kind of relative IMHO. First, cigars (except for the gas station gourmet variety) do not have any addatives in them. However, there are acids and tars that do build up and can have a negative effect on a human. Now, that being said, Cigarettes give you lung cancer and emphazema. Cigars can cause mouth cancer, although I doubt that this actually happens to a normal casual cigar smoker. If you don't abuse it, you should be fine. And (correct me if i'm wrong) wasn't it Groucho Marx who lived to be more than 100 years old and still smoked a cigar a day?

Oh, and the FDA is a load of Bullsh*t anyways.
    "I reject your reality and substitute my own."

Pomegranates: 0
    Funky Chickens: 2

Quote Originally Posted by TheVitaleMob
    Well, it's kind of relative IMHO. First, cigars (except for the gas station gourmet variety) do not have any addatives in them. However, there are acids and tars that do build up and can have a negative effect on a human. Now, that being said, Cigarettes give you lung cancer and emphazema. Cigars can cause mouth cancer, although I doubt that this actually happens to a normal casual cigar smoker. If you don't abuse it, you should be fine. And (correct me if i'm wrong) wasn't it Groucho Marx who lived to be more than 100 years old and still smoked a cigar a day?

Oh, and the FDA is a load of Bullsh*t anyways.
    I agree 100% with this post. And I know George Burns lived to be a hundred smoking 10 or so cigars a day for most his life! He never smoked a cigarette in his life and never inhaled. And he started smoking cigars when he was 14 yo.

JUST DON'T INHALE CIGARS! If you do, you might as well smoke a cigarette, you'll live longer....

Here is the article, man is it a good read!!! http://www.cigaraficionado.com/Cigar...2540,3,00.html
    Last edited by Roham; 12-12-2005 at 06:16 AM.
    "smoking is one of the greatest and cheapest enjoyments in life,
    and if you decide in advance not to smoke, I can only feel sorry for you."-Sigmund Freud

"The problem with the world is that we draw the circle of our family too small" - Mother Teresa

“The basic difference between an ordinary man and a warrior is that a warrior takes everything as a challenge while an ordinary man takes everything either as a blessing or a curse” – Carlos Casteneda

5. Default

There is a health risk with cigars...Spending too much $$ on cigars and letting your wife find out. My frickin black eye is really slow healing.

bigpoppapuff Guest

can someone please get rid of the piece of shit that started this thread....what an asshole!!...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bigpoppapuff
    can someone please get rid of the piece of shit that started this thread....what an asshole!!...
    Then ask for a ban poll!

Of course you'll probably vote "NO BAN" though......

Isn't he from Buffalo, NY? Who else on this board lives in Buffalo, NY?
    Last edited by CoventryCat86; 12-12-2005 at 10:13 AM.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Bottom line: cigars create some increased risk of certain cancers (mainly oral), BUT, for the casual (even one/day) non-inhaling cigar smoker, there is no appreciable difference in overall life expectancy when compared to non-smokers. Why is this? My opinion is that the nominal health risks of cigars are counterbalanced by the health benefits of relaxation and contemplation while smoking a stoagie.

Here's a reference.

Here's a post I did about it from my weblog.

And while you're at it, as a finalist in the 2005 Weblog Awards, the Mazurland Blog would appreciate any DAILY votes between now and 12/15.

/end blog-pimping
    Last edited by Mazeman; 12-12-2005 at 01:34 PM.
    "There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar. " -Prince Sined Yar Maharg

9. Default

mortality rates of cigarette smokers are higher than that of casual cigar smokers.

if your going to worry about health risks, then you shouldnt smoke at all

cigars are made for pleasure and for hobby, not to be worried and concernd about none stop

your suppost to enjoy its effect and experience, not cry over each puff and how much damage you did to your self.

So long as you drink scotch wiskey while you smoke cigars you'll be fine.

[quote=Roham]I agree 100% with this post. And I know George Burns lived to be a hundred smoking 10 or so cigars a day for most his life! He never smoked a cigarette in his life and never inhaled. And he started smoking cigars when he was 14 yo.
    [quote]

George Burns, Groucho Marx, Whats the difference?
    "I reject your reality and substitute my own."

Pomegranates: 0
    Funky Chickens: 2

[QUOTE=TheVitaleMob][quote=Roham]I agree 100% with this post. And I know George Burns lived to be a hundred smoking 10 or so cigars a day for most his life! He never smoked a cigarette in his life and never inhaled. And he started smoking cigars when he was 14 yo.

George Burns, Groucho Marx, Whats the difference?

The Difference could be up to 7 cigars a day jk
    and if you decide in advance not to smoke, I can only feel sorry for you."-Sigmund Freud

"The problem with the world is that we draw the circle of our family too small" - Mother Teresa

“The basic difference between an ordinary man and a warrior is that a warrior takes everything as a challenge while an ordinary man takes everything either as a blessing or a curse” – Carlos Casteneda

Quote Originally Posted by nhcigarfan
    So long as you drink scotch wiskey while you smoke cigars you'll be fine.
    Thank God! I was almost worried there for a minute.
    Smoke 'Em If Ya Got 'Em and if you don't, Get 'em at:
    http://www.buyshakespeares.com

I did my research on my own as soon as I started smoking cigars. The final word that convinced me is that a large number of life insurance companies do not consider you a smoker unless you smoke more than one cigar per day. Hey, they have the actuarial tables so I think they know what they are talking about.
    There's only two kinds of cigars, the kind you like and the kind you don't.

16. Default

Quote Originally Posted by cigar no baka
    I did my research on my own as soon as I started smoking cigars. The final word that convinced me is that a large number of life insurance companies do not consider you a smoker unless you smoke more than one cigar per day. Hey, they have the actuarial tables so I think they know what they are talking about.
    What does it take to be considered a smoker if you smoke cigarettes?

Probably a cigarette a day

Quote Originally Posted by SuperChuck
    What does it take to be considered a smoker if you smoke cigarettes?

I didn't check, but from prior experience with my wife, every health plan and life insurance plan she's ever been in (4-5 I think) consider you a smoker if you admit to smoking cigarettes at all. Not surprising since they are addictive as hell.
    There's only two kinds of cigars, the kind you like and the kind you don't.

Thread Information