Thread: temporary humidor until Christmas

1. Default temporary humidor until Christmas

I just bought my dad 3 fairly nice cigars today, and I'd like to keep them in good condition until I go back home for Christmas. Will they stay in good enough condition for the next week or so, or should I think about taking some sort of action to preserve them? I really don't want to go out and buy myself a humidor for this one occasion, so are there some cheap/temporary/homemade humidor options? For example, stick them in a ziplock baggy with a wet sponge type of thing? I guess I should have thought about this before buying them, but too late for that now. Any help is appreciated.

I guess if all else fails, I can just go buy a fairly nice humidor and then take up smoking cigars myself so that I'll actually have reason to use it.

PS: Yes, my dad already has a humidor, otherwise buying one and keeping the cigars in it until I gave him the whole shebang would be a great option. Oh well.

Small tupperware type container with a cheap humidifier in it. Can use a small piece of WET floral foam in another smaller container with the lid off or holes punched in it. Soak the foam in distilled water, let excess drain off, put it in the smaller containter, put in with sticks. Yes, distilled only. Or, go to the cigar shop and see if they have a small cheapo humidifier.

bigpoppapuff Guest

assuming you shower once or twice each day...take them into the shower with you...(not IN the shower)...the steam from the hot water should help the cigars......make sure you dry your hands before taking them out of the bathroom....

If your dad already has a humidor, he should be able to stick them in there when he gets them and they will be fine. No additional effort on your part.
    End of line.

If you can get back to the cigar store and get one of these Fuente Small Humidor Bags
    N.O.L.A.

6. Default

NEW tupperware container. A zippered freezer bag can work in a pinch, too. Toss some damp florist foam or a damp cottonball in a sandwich bag for humidification...

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteWidow
    If your dad already has a humidor, he should be able to stick them in there when he gets them and they will be fine. No additional effort on your part.
    Do make sure they're sealed up in a thick plastic bag, though. The shop you bought them at probably did this for you already...

And don't be disappointed if he doesn't smoke them right away. It's usually best to let them rest a week or two... he's not ignoring your gift. :)

Thread Information